• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

question about data and mobile network

sev051

Lurker
Jul 26, 2012
Ok im hoping you guys can help im confused and worried that I may go over my data limit. What is the best way to limit data use, do you get charged if you use wifi instead of mobile networking or does it not matter, if im playing a app game will it count towards my data?

does browsing the web or facebook count towards my data? Are there any ways to see how much data I have already used and when the limit resets? I use a us cellular htc desire.

And I assume mobile network is what runs data through us cellular, if so does turning it off and using wifi not count toward my limit? I have a few more questions but as soon as these are cleared up the others may clear up too, please help.

Yes, all apps that use data will use either wifi data or mobile data. Wifi data is free and doesn't count against your mobile data. (So use wifi whenever possible.) You can install apps from the market to help manage data. I use "My Data Manager Pro" it allows me to set my data limit and it turns off my data when I reach it. (I can turn my data back on again if I like.) If you go over your data limit, your carrier will charge you extra for that data.

Upvote 0
Here's the breakdown:
What uses mobile network data? Pretty much anything except for SMS and phone calls. Basically, if you need a data package from your cellular provider to use it, it will count against your data limit.

Does using the mobile network for data count against your data limit? Yes.
Does using Wifi count against your data limit? No.

How can you check this? If your carrier has an app, use that. They are going to be the most reliable source. After all, what their records show is all that matters since they are the ones sending the bill.

Carrier doesn't have one? There are a few apps that keep track of this. They will be less accurate but they will give you a gist if you are getting near your limit.

To save data, turn off the mobile network when your not using it and use Wifi whenever available (be leary of what you do on unsecured wifi spots though since it is public and ANYONE could be watching the network). You won't get email or other services that depend on data, but you will still be able to receive phone calls and SMS. Plus, you get the added benefit of possibly having a longer battery life.

Upvote 0
Well I have 2,000 GB and I'm a frequent user everyday with it just because for me it's easier than trying to use WIFI. I go on FB, Use gps, youtube etc and I barely use less than half of that so I mean I wouldn't worry all that much if I was you but definatly try and use you're wifi as much as possible or turn off backround data and turn on data saver as well. Those will probably help you the most and not make you worry as much just don't go overboard and use crazy amounts of data. Just so you are aware I believe uploading pics to fb etc take up the most I wanna say so try to stay away from that. Hope this helped

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones