• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Question about saving High Scores, VC and general progress

Mattias74

Lurker
Nov 17, 2015
I'm coding my first game, a 2d game. Now I'm not sure which is the preferable way to save cerain things.

In the game, you can collect coins every now and then, and with them, you can buy and develop certain game-mechanics. I'm also thinking about having a possibility to buy these VC.

How should I save this progress? And the amount of coins, and also the high scores?

At the moment, I save a file to the SD-card with this information. But is that safe and solid? Should I instead save vital progression in a MySql-database online? If so, does anyone have a link to a tutorial to do this?

The setup is similar to a game like Temple Run, where you could both collect and buy coins and the progress is saved.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for replying.

What about if the user changes his/her phone? Isn't the details stuck in the old phone then? Is that a reason for having an online db that stores the info?

And if the SD cards is not installed, what about storing it on the phone cards, is that bad practice?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones