• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about the included 2gb

pantlesspenguin

Android Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2010
Overland Park, KS
Yesterday when I got my Vibrant I told the salesguy to swap out the included card w/ the 8gb card I've been using in my blackberry. He said that wouldn't be a good idea because there are other things on that card besides the movie. I didn't argue @ the time, but now I'm thinking about how much I'd like all my old stuff on my phone. Common sense says it won't hurt anything, but I just want to make sure. Thanks!

the problem is the sales people don't know 100% whats going to happen so they have to say that to cover their asses if something does go wrong. i think it would be best to get one of those little card reader things that treats the sd as a regular size on and connect both to the computer, take everything off the 8GB one (except what you want to keep) and transfer everything from the 2GB over to it, just cause if the 2GB was included with the phone it probably contains folders that may be useful (like folders for ringtones and such)

Upvote 0
That's another thing. I tried connecting my phone (w/ the 2gb card in it) to my computer to transfer some stuff, but my computer didn't recognize the device @ all! It showed that SOMETHING was connected in the task tray, but when I went to send files to the phone, the phone wasn't an option in the "send to" menu. Any advice on that?

Upvote 0
That's another thing. I tried connecting my phone (w/ the 2gb card in it) to my computer to transfer some stuff, but my computer didn't recognize the device @ all! It showed that SOMETHING was connected in the task tray, but when I went to send files to the phone, the phone wasn't an option in the "send to" menu. Any advice on that?

Your phone should notify you that it's been connected to a computer, and giving you the option to mount USB storage.

Reactions: pantlesspenguin
Upvote 0
Oh, thanks for that! I didn't even look @ my phone after I plugged it in. On my BB it just automatically showed up in the menu so I assumed the Vibrant would be the same. I'll try again when I get back home. Thanks!!

Because the microSD can only be used by one device, either your phone or your PC. When you don't mount it, your phone keeps access to it. When you mount it, the PC sees the content, your phone does not. If you have ringtones on your card, your phone will jump back to default ring if a call comes in. Same with apps that use the card, they won't see a card when it's mounted to PC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones