• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question From Newbie

Dincman

Lurker
May 27, 2012
Sorry, folks, but I'm new to the whole Android/Smart Phone world.

My HTC Dinc2 offers me the option of loading some apps to the SD card. My question is:

Does loading an app to the SD card in any way limit the app from doing anything it might otherwise do from the phone? Thanks in advance for any help.

I have an old EVO 4G...

I am rooted and load my larger apps to SDcard...
if the app had a widget, it will have issues.

but if you have one of the new phones, with builtin internal memory (16GB)..
then there is a portion of the internal memory that is used for user storage.
in this case.. if you move the app to SDcard, the apps is moved to the internal user storage.. not the real separate SDcard you inserted. Right? and is done with out Root and part of the new android OS. Right?
if so, does that still affect the widgets the same? it will have issues?

Upvote 0
As far as I know yes, because even if the memory is onboard, it still has a different directory and is labeled SD card. But the newer phones have 2-4GB dedicated to apps anyway, separate from the internal SD card, so I'd think its less of a worry. I have over 150 apps on my phone and none are saved to SD card (2GB of dedicated app storage), so I'd guess its less of an issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones