• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

question on notification light

droid747

Nov 24, 2009
Does the notification light keep flashing until the event is checked on the galaxy s3? On my og droid the light would keep flashing until i checked the event, but on my thunderbolt it stops flashing after 5 to 10 minutes even if i don't check the event.

Sorry if this is a hijack, but seems like a good thread.

Does the notification light support multiple colors? Unlimited colors? I know my Droid X can display a large amount of colors and apps can each have different colors, but the HTC One S I have has a couple of colors, but seems like apps only can make it display one color.

How's the S3 work?

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is a hijack, but seems like a good thread.

Does the notification light support multiple colors? Unlimited colors? I know my Droid X can display a large amount of colors and apps can each have different colors, but the HTC One S I have has a couple of colors, but seems like apps only can make it display one color.

How's the S3 work?

I am pretty sure it has a multi color LED. I think I watched a youtube video of someone showing the different colors on the led. So you should be able to use lightflow or someother app to change the led colors for different notifications.

I am just looking forward to having a phone where i can see the notifications. On the thunderbolt it would stop flashing after 5 or 10 minutes plus it was very hard to see when it was flashing due to the light being behind the speaker grill.

Upvote 0
Does the notification light keep flashing until the event is checked on the galaxy s3? On my og droid the light would keep flashing until i checked the event, but on my thunderbolt it stops flashing after 5 to 10 minutes even if i don't check the event.
Tbolt didn't stop, just took a break. It starts up again and stops again in intervals.

Upvote 0
It is an HTC thing... I got the TB when it launched, coming from an OG Droid. One of the first things I noticed was the notification light not staying on until the event was checked. I thought it was ridiculous. I mean they only let it flash for 5-minutes to save battery life. But if you have to fire up the screen all the time to check for notifications, I'm sure that uses more power than a tiny LED. I hope the S3 notification light works as one should...

Here is the email I got from HTC back on 5/1/11. (Never heard anything else from them)

These are very legitimate questions that you're bringing to the table here, and from a Technical Support standpoint I can go over these things but will mostly have to forward this to our design team as feedback for further review and internal discussion. To be honest, I do not know why the LED notification only blinks for 5 minutes. I suspect that it is intended to preserve the battery life of the device already has a number of other areas that we are working on best utilizing to preserve the battery. However, I do think it should be an option to keep the LED going until you actually check it if you wish. In regards to the photo gallery's sorting, that's another thing I have no idea about; that is a bizarre way to sort if you're not going to have options on how you sort. I suppose to summarize, I don't know why either of these things are the way they are, but I will certainly send these concerns to the appropriate department so that they can be taken care of (or at the very least addressed in some way).

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number **USCW19ENA0001**.

Sincerely,

Philip

HTC

Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTC fans?

Become a fan of HTC facebook.com/htc
Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/htc
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel youtube.com/htc

Upvote 0
How do stacked notifications work? If I set a text message to flash green and Facebook to flash blue, and I received a text then a wall post, would it only flash blue?

I'm going to try it out anyway just curious!

It cycles through the colours, on the free version it changes every 20 seconds, on the paid version it's 2/3 seconds.

Reactions: matttye
Upvote 0
I know people have suggested getting Light Flow. However, shouldn't the stock notification light work? When I get a gmail email, I do not get any lights at all. Also, I have selected a blue led light for new whatsapp messages, but it would only show a solid red when I do get a message.

Is Gmail not compatible with the S3 LED lights?

Upvote 0
If I use the LED for charging, I'm afraid I'll burn out the bulb if I over use it or something of that sort...

is that a valid concern? thanks

Do you mean that your concern is that the notification LED would burn out because of your time on charging? That shouldn't be a concern, LEDs typically have lives of tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of hours.

Upvote 0
I know people have suggested getting Light Flow. However, shouldn't the stock notification light work? When I get a gmail email, I do not get any lights at all. Also, I have selected a blue led light for new whatsapp messages, but it would only show a solid red when I do get a message.

Is Gmail not compatible with the S3 LED lights?

Lightflow does not work on the US/Canadian versions.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Not sure if this is correct. I got an email from the developer with a chart that shows what actual colors do light up. I am sure the dev is working hard to get it right. The S3 North American represents many sales.

Yes, it is correct info. I check on this app daily. Even in the faq, the dev acknowledges that it doesn't work on N American versions. He also lists how the colors in the app correspond to different colors on our S3. I.e. in the app you select red for email, but on the S3 it will be blue.

Easiest way to see it doesn't work is to install it, don't do anything else and hit the powerbutton to turn the screen off. The led light will just stay lit and green. Even with the app not enabled this will happen. You have to uninstall it before the phone works again, as it should.

I hope they fix this soon. I love the app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones