• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

question on rooted phone and upgrade options

Vanteal

Dec 16, 2009
First off, my time is very limited and am unable to browse the forums to obtain the answer I am looking for..

My question is this..I own an original droid..Am currently rooted running 2.3 gingerbread "which I love btw"...But am eligible for a discounted price for a new phone. Am looking at the thunderbolt. So if I went out Monday morning and purchased my new phone and have it activated at the store, Would they frown upon my rooted phone and either deny my upgrade or would I be in any kind of trouble? Or can I bring the phone home and activate it over the phone and have all my contacts transferred over without them knowing I'm rooted?..

Thx,

You won't have any trouble at all...if you are upgrading/buying a new phone they won't look at or care about your old phone. It's like you are a new customer really, just that you already have coverage with them.
The only time you may run into trouble with a rooted phone is if you need service or a warranty replacement...

Upvote 0
Contacts transfer on their own via google. No need for the reps to even touch your old phone...or the new one for that matter. The phones now even do their own provisioning.

+1 on this. Especially since a friend of mine changed over to the Thunderbolt and the reps transferred his contacts to his phone and not to his gmail account. The result is the phone didn't sync right and required more work to get it all set up without doubling his contacts.

Google will take care of everything for you (scary ain't it:eek:) and no one need mess with your new phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones