• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Questions about after rooting (Nandroid & Titanium)

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
1. I am rooted now

2. I backed up using Nandroid and thought Nandroid only backed up the OS and stock apps, but it backed up the OS, stock apps and all third party apps. 800mb file! :eek: Does it back up the radio and kernel too?

3. When / After applying Unrevoked Forever, my guess is the current Nandroid back-up will be unusable and I will need to back a second one up. Correct?

4. Rather than keep the backups on the phone and taking up a LOT of space on the sd card, can I move them to another drive and spare the space? Just one Nandroid and Titanium backup will take 1.3gb of space- that is a lot of MP3 space :eek:

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the huge space requirements of the back-ups... Am I the only one with an already full 32gb card? ;)

2. I backed up using Nandroid and thought Nandroid only backed up the OS and stock apps, but it backed up the OS, stock apps and all third party apps. 800mb file! :eek: Does it back up the radio and kernel too?

It will backup the kernel, but not the radio. At least as far as I know -- older versions used to do radio as well, but I think there became an issue with that so they stopped.

3. When / After applying Unrevoked Forever, my guess is the current Nandroid back-up will be unusable and I will need to back a second one up. Correct?

This... I'm not sure. I think Unrevoked Forever is a completely different part than what falls in under Nandroid backups, so you shouldn't have any issue.

4. Rather than keep the backups on the phone and taking up a LOT of space on the sd card, can I move them to another drive and spare the space? Just one Nandroid and Titanium backup will take 1.3gb of space- that is a lot of MP3 space :eek:

The backup files can be moved around wherever you wish. I just went through and renamed my backup folders so it's easier to keep track of, as I'm about to ditch CM6 and try either Adrynalyne's One rom To Rule Them All or his Third Wave... I was on Second Wave until I went to CM6. I know when you run restore via ROM Manager you can't have spaces in the folders or file itself for restoration, I'm not sure if clockwork recovery has that same restriction (but I'd bet it does as ROM Manager uses CWR).

Titanium backup I *think* you can move around but need to put back in where it saves in order to restore from it later.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the huge space requirements of the back-ups... Am I the only one with an already full 32gb card? ;)

I have a number of ROMs, apks, backups and whatnot on my 32gb Sandisk and still have 16gb left. But then again, I don't use my phone to play music (except through Pandora). I think I have like... 10 mp3s I got via MP3 Download.

Upvote 0
1. I am rooted now

1) Congrats!

2) It definitely backs up the kernel. As far as the radio I don't know. A few people said that it does but from my own experience it did NOT back up my radio. At one point I restored a Nandroid backup when I was on the 2.15 radio. The backup was on 2.05, but after the restore I still had the 2.15. So from my experience I'd say that it does not backup the radio.

3) It won't be unusuable. You just won't be able to write to the file system when the phone is booted up.

4) It's fine to move the extra backups offsite. I keep my most recent, working backup on the phone but put all the previous ones on my file server just in case they are needed at some point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones