• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions from a Rookie about a Nexus 5

When I cut my phone on, I get the time and date etc....

If I don't flip the screen real quick it goes into a sleep mode .

It only lasts 3 seconds before I lose the screen and have to push the on button to bring it up again.

How can I make it last longer before I have to refresh it ?

You are talking about the screen out time on the lock screen if I'm understanding... I don't believe there is a way to change this without root or using a lock screen application.

Upvote 0
When I cut my phone on, I get the time and date etc....

If I don't flip the screen real quick it goes into a sleep mode .

It only lasts 3 seconds before I lose the screen and have to push the on button to bring it up again.

How can I make it last longer before I have to refresh it ?

You are talking about the screen out time on the lock screen if I'm understanding... I don't believe there is a way to change this without root or using a lock screen application.

I have an alternate ROM, so I am not 100% sure this is stock, but look under settings, security. Under screen security, do you have an "automatically Lock" setting that allows you to set how long?

Upvote 0
I have an alternate ROM, so I am not 100% sure this is stock, but look under settings, security. Under screen security, do you have an "automatically Lock" setting that allows you to set how long?

On mine this only allows me to tell it when it turns security back on, not how long the lock screen stays on before it turns back off.

Upvote 0

I went to security and it is currently on slide.......

it also has none, slide, face unlock, pattern, pion and password.

if i go to none, do you think that will eliminate the time out function ?

i don't have a password for it, i wonder how many on this forum use one ?

Upvote 0
I went to security and it is currently on slide.......

it also has none, slide, face unlock, pattern, pion and password.

if i go to none, do you think that will eliminate the time out function ?

i don't have a password for it, i wonder how many on this forum use one ?

If you go to none, there will be no time out, because you will not have a lock screen. Pressing the power button will bypass you straight into whatever you locked the phone doing.

Most people use passwords. Since I keep sensitive (relatively, but not way sensitive) I have a passcode that comes on when my phone has been locked for a few minutes. That way if I have been using it frequently I don't have to put the passcode in every time.

Upvote 0
On mine this only allows me to tell it when it turns security back on, not how long the lock screen stays on before it turns back off.

Yeah, sorry, not sure what I was thinking. That's what I get for replying at work while doing 6 other things. My lock screen stays on for 8 seconds and then dims for a while but you can still just touch the screen to wake it. It must be baked into the ROM or I'm just not aware of where the controls are. :eek: ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for everyone's help.

I have gotten used to my phone.

The biggest gripe I have about is that it seems that the battery drains pretty fast when I am using the phone but it's not a big deal because I keep a charger with me just about everywhere, home , work, car.

And I don't like speaking on the phone and then hitting a button and hearing a beep from the speaker.

Oh yeah, the speaker is really weak.

Other than that, I like the phone.

I have an appt with the eye doctor on 2 July.

I want to set a reminder for 1 July but I can't quite figure out how to use google calendar oi set up a reminder. I just want to set up a beep or a text that will remind me about noon or 6 pm on 1 July.

I use the phone as an alarm clock too, how popular is that with other people ?

All I found was google calendar but I don't see how to set up phone or text alerts. Am I in the right place ?

Many thanks.........

Upvote 0
Thanks for everyone's help.

I have gotten used to my phone.

The biggest gripe I have about is that it seems that the battery drains pretty fast when I am using the phone but it's not a big deal because I keep a charger with me just about everywhere, home , work, car.

And I don't like speaking on the phone and then hitting a button and hearing a beep from the speaker.

Oh yeah, the speaker is really weak.

Other than that, I like the phone.

I have an appt with the eye doctor on 2 July.

I want to set a reminder for 1 July but I can't quite figure out how to use google calendar oi set up a reminder. I just want to set up a beep or a text that will remind me about noon or 6 pm on 1 July.

I use the phone as an alarm clock too, how popular is that with other people ?

All I found was google calendar but I don't see how to set up phone or text alerts. Am I in the right place ?

Many thanks.........

The hard way: For the calendar, go into the calendar, hit the three dots in the top corner to get the drop down menu, and select "New Event". Or you can also make or edit the appointment on a computer at www.google.com/calendar. You can set up reminders from the calendar entry; they are near the bottom when you select "new event" or when you edit an entry. Google typically defaults to automatically add a reminder.

The easy way: use Google Now to put the appointment in the calendar (pretty much the same way as with Siri on the iPhone). Even if you don't set reminders, the appointment should show up in Google Now on that day. It will even include drive time, if you aren't at the location where the event will be held.

Upvote 0
Thanks for everyone's help. I am still learning new tricks though.........

1. How can I find phone calls I called but they did not answer ? I can find the ones that were incoming and those that were missed but I can't find the screen that should list numbers dialed out........

2. My phone number used to belong to a woman that did not pay her bills. I still get a few calls from one bill collector even though I have made it clear my name is Raymond and not Viola Hernandez. I missed one of their phone calls yesterday and normally I can swipe it off to the side and it goes away, just like all the other numbers. This one won't go away. If I swipe it to the side, it comes back. It is like a bad rash you can't get rid of. I wonder if it is related to it being a bill collector ? I wonder if they did something to my phone ? This has not happened to any other number I have missed to include the ones I missed after this number. Any suggestions ?

3. I think I also read that when Google comes out with the new L version........they are not naming it after a candy like kitkat...........that we will get a free update if we have Nexus 5 ......is that correct ? That would be nice if it is true, it would make the phone more current and be more useful longer.

Upvote 0

1. How can I find phone calls I called but they did not answer ? I can find the ones that were incoming and those that were missed but I can't find the screen that should list numbers dialed out........

2. My phone number used to belong to a woman that did not pay her bills. I still get a few calls from one bill collector even though I have made it clear my name is Raymond and not Viola Hernandez. I missed one of their phone calls yesterday and normally I can swipe it off to the side and it goes away, just like all the other numbers. This one won't go away. If I swipe it to the side, it comes back. It is like a bad rash you can't get rid of. I wonder if it is related to it being a bill collector ? I wonder if they did something to my phone ? This has not happened to any other number I have missed to include the ones I missed after this number. Any suggestions ?

3. I think I also read that when Google comes out with the new L version........they are not naming it after a candy like kitkat...........that we will get a free update if we have Nexus 5 ......is that correct ? That would be nice if it is true, it would make the phone more current and be more useful longer.

1. I figured out number 1. done.

2. I am currently blocking the number from the bill collector using mr. number. it does a pretty good job but google also has a function i can use. I tried researching it but the instructions were for ice cream and i have google. it did not work for me .....any ideas ? another gripe about the bill collector is that they use different numbers. they used numerous local numbers to call but the voice mail instructs me to call a number in Oregon ........sneaky. i still have not figured out how to swipe their number away........thnx 2x.

Upvote 0

2. I'm not sure why you can't swipe it away. If you go to your call history and tap on the call entry, then the notification should go away with that too. If not, try rebooting. I can't possibly think of anything they'd be able to do to your phone.

I've used an app called Call Control in the past that works pretty well. They have a national blacklist database that will screen your calls, but it only works if the number is in their database. You can add numbers to your own blacklist in the app, but when they change numbers that also doesn't work. The google option is to make a contact with the number that you want to block, and in the contact there's an option to send the call straight to voicemail. To do this: after you've made the contact and tapped "Done", click on the three dots in the upper-right, and tap the checkbox next to "All calls to voicemail." I use this now because I noticed that Call Control wasn't doing anything for me. I have a contact named "Blocked" with dozens of #'s in it that go straight to voicemail. I believe that Call Control has an option to hangup on calls. It's been a while since I've used the app, tho.

3. Rumor has it that the next Android will be called Lava Cake. Android has never charged for their updates (I think Apple quit charging, too. Or maybe they only charged for the IPod Touches). You'll get "free" updates on your Nexus until they decide to stop. Usually that's about 18 months. We'll be the first with the updates because our Nexuses (Nexi??) have a stock version of Android. All of the other phones require their manufactures to update their bloatware before they can push the updates. Sometimes they don't even bother. I mean, you already gave them your money so why would they care, right???;)

Reactions: Raymond42262
Upvote 0
2. I'm not sure why you can't swipe it away. If you go to your call history and tap on the call entry, then the notification should go away with that too. If not, try rebooting. I can't possibly think of anything they'd be able to do to your phone.

I've used an app called Call Control in the past that works pretty well. They have a national blacklist database that will screen your calls, but it only works if the number is in their database. You can add numbers to your own blacklist in the app, but when they change numbers that also doesn't work. The google option is to make a contact with the number that you want to block, and in the contact there's an option to send the call straight to voicemail. To do this: after you've made the contact and tapped "Done", click on the three dots in the upper-right, and tap the checkbox next to "All calls to voicemail." I use this now because I noticed that Call Control wasn't doing anything for me. I have a contact named "Blocked" with dozens of #'s in it that go straight to voicemail. I believe that Call Control has an option to hangup on calls. It's been a while since I've used the app, tho.

3. Rumor has it that the next Android will be called Lava Cake. Android has never charged for their updates (I think Apple quit charging, too. Or maybe they only charged for the IPod Touches). You'll get "free" updates on your Nexus until they decide to stop. Usually that's about 18 months. We'll be the first with the updates because our Nexuses (Nexi??) have a stock version of Android. All of the other phones require their manufactures to update their bloatware before they can push the updates. Sometimes they don't even bother. I mean, you already gave them your money so why would they care, right???;)

Thanks for the reply.

2. It won't swipe away and when I reboot it, it disappears and reappears saying I have something in voice mail. But when I call VM there is no message. When I turned the phone off and cut it back on, the message disappeared, then the phone vibrated and said I have a VM at 3:21 p.m.

I checked VM and nothing. I cut it off, turned it back on, it disappeared. 5 seconds later it vibrated and said I had a VM at 3:22 and it happened again when I repeated it at 3:24.

This borders on harassment as far as I am concerned. I consider my phone number my personal property.......and what makes me mad is that I HAVE called them on 2 occasions and politely informed them that they have the wrong person. I have had this phone since 14 February. And those sob's still call.

I got phone calls from 3 other bill collectors and State Farm Insurance and from the school her kid attends.

Everyone was professional about taking me off their list except this company.

3. Lava Cake might be interesting. I am most interested in the new W9 for my laptop. I heard that was going to be free for W8 users...........that is what I am using now. I guess it is good if you have a touchscreen but I don't. I want to get rid of the charm bar on the side and go back to the start menu in the corner.

Damn computers.........as soon as I figure them out they change how they do business and I have to start over..............:)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

2. It won't swipe away and when I reboot it, it disappears and reappears saying I have something in voice mail. But when I call VM there is no message. When I turned the phone off and cut it back on, the message disappeared, then the phone vibrated and said I have a VM at 3:21 p.m.

I checked VM and nothing. I cut it off, turned it back on, it disappeared. 5 seconds later it vibrated and said I had a VM at 3:22 and it happened again when I repeated it at 3:24.

This borders on harassment as far as I am concerned. I consider my phone number my personal property.......and what makes me mad is that I HAVE called them on 2 occasions and politely informed them that they have the wrong person. I have had this phone since 14 February. And those sob's still call.

I got phone calls from 3 other bill collectors and State Farm Insurance and from the school her kid attends.

Everyone was professional about taking me off their list except this company.

Those damn bill collectors are still on my phone........I can't get rid of them.....grrrrr.....

Anyhow, I have a new problem to solve now...

I have 2 apps. Google Mail and Maps. Somehow the 2 apps slid on top of each other and they are occupying the same space. This happened once before and as I was tinkering around, I magically managed to slide them apart. This time it's not working.

How do I slide them apart to make them separate ?

TIA !

Upvote 0
Those damn bill collectors are still on my phone........I can't get rid of them.....grrrrr.....

Anyhow, I have a new problem to solve now...

I have 2 apps. Google Mail and Maps. Somehow the 2 apps slid on top of each other and they are occupying the same space. This happened once before and as I was tinkering around, I magically managed to slide them apart. This time it's not working.

How do I slide them apart to make them separate ?

TIA !

What you have done is created a folder by dropping on app on top the other. Tap once the combo icon and the two apps will pop up on a square. drag one out of that square onto the home screen. Or tap the folder and delete, then pull each app back out of the app drawer.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones