• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions regarding hardware/software

Looking at all the options available it seems difficult to pick one phone over another. Reviews are particularly confusing when in the end a lot of the reviews end up negatively rating some phones due to the manufacturer's tweaks (touchwiz, senseui) causing slowdowns with the phones.
In the end if you wanted to buy a phone would you not consider the hardware alone and assume that all the phones for the most part will run identically if you had rooted the phone and put stock android on them?

For example, I'm limited in the type of phones I can buy here, some of the current choices are: Desire, Legend, Nexus One, Galaxy S.
Some of those choices are negatively rated due to the software that the manufacturer puts on them. If I rooted all those phones and put stock android on them then wouldn't for all intents and purposes they all be very very similar and only different on the most basic level (screen/size, weight, cameras, volume/microphones?)

Wouldn't most people who aren't terrified of hacking their phone a little be willing to do this? I don't understand why on a basic level most of these phones aren't rated similarly if under the covers they're all very similar?

Given the ability to root said phones and run a stock version on Android on them (thus limiting the junk the manufacturer puts on them) which phone would you chose and why?

Just curious.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones