• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Radio apps - why some permissions ?

I have been trying to find a good radio app that works well on my tablet, but some of the radio apps asks for permissions that should not be necessary.

For example, WHY should the radio app named "Pandora" need the following permissions - :thinking:

read contact data
Allows the app to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your tablet. Malicious apps may use this to send your data to other people.

Allows the app to send event invitations as the calendar owner and add, remove, change events that you can modify on your device, including those of friends or co-workers. Malicious apps may send spam emails that appear to come from calendar owners, modify events without the owners' knowledge, or add fake events.

automatically start at boot
Allows the app to have itself started as soon as the system has finished booting. This can make it take longer to start the tablet and allow the app to slow down the overall tablet by always running. Allows the app to have itself started as soon as the system has finished booting. This can make it take longer to start the phone and allow the app to slow down the overall phone by always running.

Does anyone know of good proven radio apps that do not ask for the above permissions ?

A radio app has no need to know your contact data, and it does not need to start at boot and run all the time using resources in the background even when you're not using it.

I don't use Pandora, but from what I know of other internet radio services like Last.fm is that they have a social service like 'friends' which you can sync to your contacts, which may explain the need for contact information.

The start at boot thing is so that a service can run in background for one purpose or another. Usually this is irrelevant for phone users since you usually never turn your phone off. I never turn off my tab either. Anyway, I remember an app that can edit boot apps on Android. Maybe you can use that.

Reactions: GKL
Upvote 0
I don't use Pandora, but from what I know of other internet radio services like Last.fm is that they have a social service like 'friends' which you can sync to your contacts, which may explain the need for contact information.

The start at boot thing is so that a service can run in background for one purpose or another. Usually this is irrelevant for phone users since you usually never turn your phone off. I never turn off my tab either. Anyway, I remember an app that can edit boot apps on Android. Maybe you can use that.

Thanks, my concern with apps that start at boot and keep running in the background even when you're not using it is that it unnecessairly uses up resources and can slow down your system.

There might be some programs that have a legitimate need to keep running in the background even when you're not using it, but I don't know any reason why a radio app would need to keep running in the background even when you're not using it, I would rather simply open the app and only have it running when I actually want to use it.

(after all, when you're not using a regular radio you turn it completely off, not simply turn the sound down and keep it running :rolleyes:)

Upvote 0
I seriously forgot what the app that can edit startup apps was. I just remember you need root for it.

Thanks for that idea, but I prefer to not root my tablet, so I'll just keep searching for a proven radio app that does not ask for permissions to automatically start at boot and keep running even when you're not using it.

(I have found at least one radio app so far that does not ask for permission to start at boot, so I know it is not something radio apps have to have, but I will see if there are other such apps so I can choose which is best overall)

The app I was referring to is called "Rad.io" and it does not ask for permission to start at boot AND does not ask for permission to read contact data, but I'll have to see if that one would work ok for my tablet or find if there might be other simular ones to choose from.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones