• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Radio Shack is clown shoes!

brotherswing

Android Expert
Feb 22, 2011
In my living room.
This post will be more about Radio Shack than the Optimus V, so I apologize in advance.

<rant>My little adventure began last February, when I bought my OV, and a Rumor Touch for my wife. Everyone who've read my posts knows, I love my OV, it's easily the best phone I've ever had. The wife's phone - not so much. We had purchased the extended warranty on hers, but not mine (I was just going to void it anyway!) Her Rumor Touch was fine for her uses, and she liked it, until it stopped holding a charge seven months later. We went back to the Shack for a new battery under the warranty, like we had been told we could do. This time, however, we we're told "No, the phone has to be sent in. Wait two days to get a gift card by email." That isn't an option for a woman five months pregnant, so we bought her a new phone. That's when we got the <disappoint>Samsung Intercept</disappoint> and again got the warranty. The Intercept has never performed up to expectations, and after discussing it with other Intercept owners we figured out it had hardware problems. Problems that were getting progressively worse. It lasted three months. Dug out the warranty, looked up the newest adds from the Shack, and picked out a Wildfire S as her new phone, on sale for $149.99 until 12/31/2011. Did some homework and found the Wildfire to be almost the same as an OV. That works! Head back to the Shack, had to send off the Intercept (again) but didn't have the money to out right buy a new phone. Had to wait for the digital gift card. Not good, as now we're eight days from the baby's due date, and we keep expecting her to go into labor at any moment. Get the digital gift card, head back to the Shack for the new phone. Now I'm told that with any phone purchase, they have to ring up at least $10 in accessories or airtime. Whatever. So I grab a $40 top up card. "That will be $94.60 please." What?! The sale on the phone was supposedly over. I'm not about to give my wife a downgrade, and we had a doctor appointment to get to, so I paid it and left. No warranty this time. Or ever again. The first time we had been mislead about the nature of the warranty, and now sale prices only seem to apply when it's convenient for them. Oh, and they can't sell a phone without accessories or airtime. I feel my whole ordeal has been laced through with liberal amounts of horse droppings. We will be contacting the Radio Shack corporate offices about this, and refraining from giving them our business in the future. I'm not trying to organize a boycott or anything, I just wanted all my digital friends to have a fair warning. Radio Shack is clown shoes. Don't expect any kind of customer service from them, as you will be disappointed.</rant>

I would definitely contact Radio Shack's coporate offices. If they have a policy that states you must purchase something other than a phone in order to purchase the phone, I believe the carriers, your state's AG's office, and perhaps even the FCC might be interested.

Got mine back in February too and they made me buy time and let them activate it first. But at the time EVERYONE was sold out and they had one left even virgin was sold out. So I had no choice in the matter.

Upvote 0
ouch, brotherswing, that sounds like an unpleasant ordeal...i loathe corporate nastiness and i love letter writing...you should voice your complaints. :) and for what it's worth, i love worthwhile boycotts and would join yours... since we moved to a small town two years ago, i've gotten to experience more consumer headaches than before; i'm so thankful for online purchasing!

ps...did baby arrive? hope all is well! congrats!

Reactions: brotherswing
Upvote 0
Thanks for the support, guys! I'll keep this updated as the saga unfolds, but one thing I learned in my years in retail. The customer only needs to call corporate and complain up the food chain until you reach someone who makes enough money that it isn't worth their time to listen to you. Usually they will tell their underlings to relent and give you what you want.

@Shushi, Nope, Peanut isn't here yet. Had a couple of close calls, but the contractions always seem to stop. We have a c-section scheduled for Jan. 6th, but keep hoping he'll come before then. My wife is so damn miserable!

Upvote 0
Sounds like you got a d-bag employee, having worked there for about 6-7 months, there is NO policy about having to buy any accessories or airtime to get the phone. It was just to &quot;pad&quot; his numbers and make a commission on the sale.

I do know why he did it though, as we only made money off of pre-paid phones if we sold airtime with it, if we didn't we got nothing out of the deal. Now this leads to some associates to lie to the customer about having to buy airtime with the phone. It's shady and frowned upon there, talk to the store manager and if he does nothing then contact the district manager, they should have a sign about the contact information for that near a register, though contacting corporate is a good idea, just make sure you have the store number and the associates initials (should all be on the receipt)

Now mind you the warranty does suck, and is almost always explained wrong to the customer.

As for the Intercept, it sucked and i flat out told customers that and sold a lot of OV's instead (as an owner of an OV i like it) Sucks that you had to have one of the employees that doesn't care about the customer and instead just wanted to make money

Reactions: brotherswing
Upvote 0
The sad thing is, it was the store manager who waited on us. I just checked their website, and lo and behold not only is the Wildfire no longer listed as on sale, it isn't even listed at all. No HTC phones of any kind for Virgin Mobile. That's shady as hell.

Well that really sucks, sorry to hear that, though that is weird that they don't have them on the site, i was just in visiting the store i used to work at and they had them in store (week ago roughly)

though you could always buy it off of virgin's site, activating the phone is as easy as typing in #847446 (#VIRGIN) and enter the programming info from the site, VM even tells you how to do it in a decent step by step manor

Upvote 0
I bought a phone two years from Radioshack. This was back when I was on boost mobile chirp phone. My current phone at the time was lost so I went to get a new phone. At the time once a year I would report my phone lost or stolen and Boost mobile would give me like $100 credit to my account and I was right on time. I got the motorola clutch Best Buy didn't have it. They told me three things they had to activate it. I told them it was a replacement phone the clerk said then I she had to take the sim card out. I told her that it was a replacement so I need the sim card. and she said she couldn't give me the sim card unless they activate it. I have always activated my own phones. So I asked her if she could activate it with my current account. She said no she had to sell me the phone do the activation and I have to buy airtime as well. I told her I didn't need airtime that I had $100 dollar credit on my account. I called boost mobile right there and they told me that it was not their sales policy and to have the clerk IF IT MUST BE DONE do the activation over the phone.

The warranty issue with the having to send the phone in I can understand, however the deal with that fact that you have to buy an acsessery or airtime is bogus. It is NOT in Radioshacks sales terms for customers nor can they create this because it they are under contract to to sale these phones for the carriers, and any product that is not Gigaware or RS brand the sales person get commesion on the product.

Its almost like this, Radioshack you can go in and buy airtime and it goes straight to your account, instead of getting a pin number. I had ten dollars on my boost mobile account one time and was needing to put only $50 on my phone. They told me that I had to put the whole thing because my monthly bill was $60 I told them I did not.

I bought my first Android (intercept) from bestbuy. It was my first switched over after being with Boost Mobile since boost mobile was a cell phone carrier. So my first switch after nearly 8 years was to Virgin. The intercept was cheap and I wanted the iPhone but because of the high deposit for both Verizon and AT&T. I paid like 175 for the intercept and after having it for a week I hated it. kept freezing, crashing, and touch screen became unresponsive. I took it back after going to bestbuy to look for something else and seen the Optimus for 25 less. so I returned the intercept. This all back in Feb of this year. I loved the Optimus. however when I seen the triumph was out I wanted it. I wanted a bigger phone with a better processor. I found the triumph on Amazon for 175 brand new being sold by Amazon and there was only one at that price. I picked it up and after rooting and modding it I love this phone a lot better. I am impressed too. because I had this phone ordered last wednesday, it was delivered thursday morning left by the front door, and the package got picked up... I hate ups for doing this. so I contacted Amazon and they gave me the next price up that was the same thing and refunded half my shipping cost and I had it on friday. I love shopping amazon. so yeah

Upvote 0
Radio Shack is A BOTTOM FEEDER. I initially went there to buy my Optimus V. The clerk told me I had to buy airtime. I absolutely refused. So she did not sell me the phone.

Since the OVs were in short supply then (they had just come onto the market), Radio Hack was the only store that had them so in desperation I went to another Hack location. This clerk let me buy the phone without minutes BUT INSISTED ON ACTIVATING IT. Bullshit. We argued for a while and I relented. So I started giving her my information:
Name: Halle Berry
Address: 1313 Mockinbird Lane

. . . . .so she KNEW it was not my real information, so she stopped the activation and begrudgingly sold me the INACTIVATED phone. She said that Radio Shack had been ordered by the Government to find out who was buying Pay As You Go Phones. Liar.

I HATE HATE HATE RADIO SHACK!

Upvote 0
It normally takes me months of research before I spend more than $50.00 on anything. I go to all the retailers with the item and let them know I'm just shopping around for info before making a purchase. I've got some very useful info from the employees.

When I went to Radio Shack to purchase this "V" (bricked the first one) I got a very honest employee who did not try to sell me minutes after listening to me. He did not offer to activate it,as I was still pretty green back then, I had to ask him to activate it for me and port the number over as well.

I guess my experience is not normal, but goes to prove that RadioShack cannot corrupt everybody.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones