• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Razr, Rezound, Galaxy Nexus or wait.

redraptor

Android Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2010
Much too far from the waves
Hey guys

Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Razr or wait?

Ive been sitting on an upgrade for about 6 months now and im anxious. The Galaxy Nexus is near perfect if it just had a better camera. I use a lot of my camera for recording guitar covers, and my Inc 2 just doesnt cut it. My Fascinate was good, but I no longer have that. The Video doesnt need to be the BEST but Audio needs to be atleast on the same level of the Fascinate or even better. The big problem I run into is volume control. I play loud and record loud, and the audio just cant handle it on the Inc 2. And this sounds weird, but I like the girth of the device. I like that is has both a big screen and a bit footprint. Thats where the Rezound is a little lacking. Its a beefy device but not really wide. (Im now realizing im setting myself up for something perverted...)

I like the Rezound but I want something that is well supported and over all I get a "Meh" feeling about the Rezound. Camera looks to be the best out of them all and Im a total audiophile soI like Beats.

I dont know much about the Razr, although I have heard from a number of people that Moto kinda screws over thier customers when it comes to properly working updates and problems. Or should I just hold out until something a bit better comes around? If I had my choice of any phone, it would be the SGSII Skyrocket. Im just scared that it will be 3 more months or more before a properly speced phone is released. And like I said...Im anxious :p And granted, I know im going to get biased answers, but im just mildly curious.

So far im in love with my nexus. What it really comes down to is what one you like the most. I'd say get the nexus and taste the wonderful ICS.

*note* When you keep saying youre going to wait what happens is, is like: The nexus is out but imma wait for the next big thing...2 months later the (next cool phone) then a few weeks later (another awesome phone) its a law a better phone will come out and keep coming out.

But dev will start using the nexus soon to develop for android so everything will run buttery smooth on that

-my 2cents

Upvote 0
So far im in love with my nexus. What it really comes down to is what one you like the most. I'd say get the nexus and taste the wonderful ICS.

*note* When you keep saying youre going to wait what happens is, is like: The nexus is out but imma wait for the next big thing...2 months later the (next cool phone) then a few weeks later (another awesome phone) its a law a better phone will come out and keep coming out.

But dev will start using the nexus soon to develop for android so everything will run buttery smooth on that

-my 2cents

I agree, being in the technology field, I am constatly asked if I should wait and my answer is very similar to what you said. What is the point of waiting. Get whatever has the features you like today?

Upvote 0
Sounds like you would be a good fit for the Rezound, but I'm not speaking from experience. I've never owned the Rezound, nor do I have a Galaxy Nexus. But, from the research I've done, it sounds like the Rezound fits your wants, ie Beats & camera.

The Galaxy Nexus hardware is not revolutionary, and without ICS I don't think the phone would be as special as it is. As for the RAZR, it's an awkward form factor and not terribly comfortable to hold. The RAZR camera is decent, but I don't think it's super.

But, in Motorola's defense, I've had Motorola products in the past and they're pretty good about keeping things updated.

All the phones will eventually get ICS, so I don't know if being the first on the platform is important for you. Rather I think you should go with what feels best at the present time. We all know that a newer/better phone will be promoted in a few months.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you get!

Upvote 0
I don't know how much you know about silicon architecture, but the three phones you mention represent the pinnacle of ARM A9 based processors. The next big thing is the A15, which is based on a smaller manufacturing process. What this means is that, in a few months, phones will be much faster and consume much less power (especially with regards to LTE). Right now it's tricky guessing when phones using this technology will come out, but we should know a lot more in January when the first big mobile technology conference comes around. Probably safe to say that there won't be new phones running A15 (or S4, which is made by a different manufacturer but is essentially the same thing) until April or March at the very earliest.

If that's too long to wait (and it could certainly be longer), then go ahead and get whichever of the three phones appeals to you most; there's not likely to be anything better over the next few months. If you'd rather have something that provides a much better user experience, then hold off and nurse along whatever it is you've got. Personally, I've been tempted by the Nexus, Rezound, and Droid 4, but my OG Droid running the latest Bugless Beast ROM and overclocked to 1.2 GHz is still good enough for most of what I need it to do. I'm sticking it out until the next architecture rolls around, hoping for something with a HD screen and a hardware keyboard.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. I've been eligible for an upgrade since the end of October and was initially going to wait for the GNex, but now that it's out and hearing some of the negative feedback I'm starting to have second thoughts.

From what I've read it sounds like the GNex's only real draw is the fact that it has ICS, would most of you here agree with that?

I'm not much for keeping up to date gadget wise since my income doesn't really allow for that, whatever phone I upgrade to is most likely going to have to last me the next two years until my next upgrade.

That being said, which phone would you guys go with: Razr, Rezound, or Gnex?

Upvote 0
I would go play with them all and decide. I'm personally going with the Rezound for its better camera. I think alot of people are choosing the Nexus based on ICS alone, I'm trying to leave that out of my decision making because in 3 months all 3 should have ICS running on it.

All 3 are nice phones, the RAZR and Nexus are too big for me, they feel huge in my hands and are giant in my pocket (/rimshot). The Rezound is large but a bit smaller than the other two.

One thing I really like about the Nexus is its zero lag camera, really nice to play with however the image quality seems to be an order of magnitude worse than the Rezound's.

Upvote 0
My friend has the Razr and loves it to death, other friend has the Rezound and said it was a good phone but the buttons can be hard to push like the volume and power, and that really the beats aren't SUPER amazing but are better then his old smart phone.

Razr and Nexus are a bit bigger but after awhile you get use to them and then you never want to go back to a smaller phone, I currently own an Evo so i know how it is :)

I would just go in and play around on them and see which one you prefer cause honestly it's all up to you and what you like.

Upvote 0
I think im gonna grab the Razr. From everything I hear about it, and the form factor, it is AWESOME now and future proof for atleast the next 6 months before getting HORRIBLY outdated. On top of that I have the return policy until January 15th, 2 days after CES and if anything REALLY pops out to me when its reported, than ill still be within the return window and hold out for a few more months. This way I both get a feel for the phone, "moto blur" and also have the opportunity to see if its what I REALLY want. Plus it just came out in white, and Ive always wanted a white phone :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones