• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Re-install market app

fwuts

Lurker
May 9, 2012
So I was messing around and deleted the market app (called Play Store). I changed it to a user app, which screwed it up so I uninstalled it. How can I reinstall it. I downloaded the .apk but don't have a file manager installed. I tried to factory reset the phone but that did not work. What next? Would de-activating it and re-activating help. Do I need to flash it. How do I do that.

UPDATE: so I found the Android system recovery using simultaneous Home button, down volume and power on, from an off state. I did the wipe partition, factory reset, and reboot but nothing changed. I made the Play Store a user app before deleting it. I can reinstall it from the .apk but it still does not work. What should I try next.

Yes, I am rooted.
I finally fixed this by moving the .apk file to /system/app using adb.exe. I then installed from there. I had a script from the root process I used to do it. Kind of complicated. I finally found FTPDroidPro which would have made that easy to do. So the lesson is to make an app a system app install from /system/app.

Upvote 0
One of the reason's why it's so important to install a custom recovery and make a backup of the system from the recovery (this is called a nandroid backup). In as much as most members want a Gingerbread or ICS ROM the ClockWorkMod recovery (or modified versions of it)would be the best choice.

If you have ADB established and ClockWorkMod recovery installed on your phone there is a good chance your phone will be supported by QtADB. It will not work with any other recovery. It will allow you to manage all your files on your phone from your PC. A straight drag and drop back and forth from your PC and Phone. Delete files, reboot into fastboot(if supported by your phone), flash a recovery, and more.

Before I install a ROM.zip on to my phone I first left click on it. The Express Zip File Compression Software (by NCH Software) will allow me to delete and add files, folders, apk's till I get it right how I want it. I do not have to resign the ROM.zip before I install it, and I don't have to turn off signature verification in the recovery. When the ROM install's It's ready to rock and roll,just where I want it to be.

Food for thought.
AndyOpie150

Upvote 0
Ooops, I forgot to move this thread to the All Things Root sub-forum. Now it's there. Go to the All Things Root Guide sticky. There is the proper recovery in there. If you install the wrong recovery you can cause a recovery or boot loop, get stuck in the fastboot screen, and or, a permanent boot hang (The phone is a brick).

I'll look up the proper install code, while you go to Google Play and download a terminal emulator.

Upvote 0
Download the flash_image, and recovery and put them on the root of the sd card (not in any folder, just near the bottom of the list of folders).
The flash_image should have a .bin on the end. If .zip you will need to unzip it.
The recovery should have a .img on the end. If .zip you need to unzip it.

Then go here [How-To] Root, Custom Recovery, NANDroid Backup - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com and follow the instruction.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones