• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Realistically, what are you getting with battery time?

With the oem 1300mah battery I seemed to get 8 hrs heavy use and 10-12hrs moderate use.

With the seido 1750mah battery I seemed to be getting 12-14 hrs heavy use and 18-20 hrs moderate use.

Thats with background sync off and "always on mobile data" off. Those two settings seem to be the biggest battery drainers. More so than screen brightness. Also, I dont have anything that auto updates like email or facebook widget.

The seido 1750 battery is totally worth it.

Can some one tell me the disadvantages of turning off background sync and "always on mobile data"?

Right now I get about 12hrs of moderate use from the stock 1300mah battery before i'm down to 10%

Upvote 0
I get on avg. 20hrs no problem. BUT I keep my 3G connection off most of the time when Im on the go or not using phone for apps and other things. I manual sync just about every app I use so I keep background data off. It takes 3 secs to manual sync when you open an app. I have a lot of apps and like to use them so don't think i'm not running the DInc cuz I am. I play Air Control a lot! Whenever I can. If you know how to control and manage this beast of a phone you will have great battery life.

Upvote 0
I'm only getting about 10hrs. My screens are full of widgets, I'm always listening to music while always on the web or playing Radiant, so I don't get much life.

However I heard that the battery on the Pro 2 it fits the Dinc and it's a 1500, it's only like $24 for me, I think I'll give it a try and see how much more I get out of this battery.

Upvote 0
I'm only getting about 10hrs. My screens are full of widgets, I'm always listening to music while always on the web or playing Radiant, so I don't get much life.

However I heard that the battery on the Pro 2 it fits the Dinc and it's a 1500, it's only like $24 for me, I think I'll give it a try and see how much more I get out of this battery.

Check eBay, I think you can get them for $5 for the OEM's or $15 for the HTC brand.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue as you. But after i did what i explained above, my battery looses maybe 10-15% over 7h of sleeping time.

I do not have a Flickr account even on the phone anymore. I removed the entire account, as well as disabling all syncing for it. I have Facebook and Twitter set to sync once a day. GMail is only syncing contacts. Weather updates every hour, Last.fm also only syncs contacts. I have turned disabled the always-on mobile data. I use Wi-Fi most of the time at home. My battery still sucks. I went above and beyond what most users do, have done, keep recommending. There isn't anything wrong with the phone, it's not an app, the battery just blows.

I am glad that you have had success, and I'm glad you're trying to help other. In my case, hasn't worked at all.

HOWEVER, I did get a TP2 1500mAh battery today from my brother, from his TP2 that was about 2 months old before it got retired for a Nexus One. I am going to see if the extra 200mAh make any different, hopefully it will extend the life a bit and make waiting for the HTC/Verizon OEM 2150mAh a little easier.

Upvote 0
I haven't dropped below 14hrs for a couple weeks on the 1750. On moderate days I am still juiced at bedtime (16-18hrs)

Weeding out a couple of rogue apps helped quite a bit (2-4 extra hours)

GPS on 24/7. Wifi when available. BT about 40% of the time. WB/FB/Twitter etc polling frequently, email set to push.

I have been pleasantly surprised how little impact actual phone calls have (compared to on the BB where calls chewed thru juice faster than most other usage).

In other words: plenty sufficient ;)

Upvote 0
depressing day. charged full overnight. left at 645am. turned off bluetooth when I got to work at 715. wifi off, too. a few incoming gmails bleeped during the day and I got 1 phone call that lasted at most 2 minutes. NOTHING ELSE. left work at 5pm and the battery icon was yellow. what's up with that?

btw, phone is less than one week old. do I need some conditioning cycles?

I've got to read the info on batteries and get a back-up.

Upvote 0
depressing day. charged full overnight. left at 645am. turned off bluetooth when I got to work at 715. wifi off, too. a few incoming gmails bleeped during the day and I got 1 phone call that lasted at most 2 minutes. NOTHING ELSE. left work at 5pm and the battery icon was yellow. what's up with that?

btw, phone is less than one week old. do I need some conditioning cycles?

I've got to read the info on batteries and get a back-up.

I find turning off auto-brightness and bringing brightness down to about 30% (which is still very bright) really improves battery life. That said, if your phone's off most of the day, this is unlikely the issue.

Something to look at is how much time your phone is "Awake" compared to its "Up time." If the numbers are close, something isn't right. For example, I once had an issue where it was syncing 24/7 with gmail or something, and sure enough killed my battery much faster than normal. I redid the settings and it solved the problem. See if in Accounts & Sync, any of the accounts constantly have the circular arrows. If so, try to resolve it by turning it off, manually syncing, and then turning it back on.

On the syncing note, don't let apps you hardly use auto-sync often. I don't really use Twitter often, so I turned off auto-sync. The few times I use it, I just refresh myself. Facebook I set to auto-sync once per day since I only check it a couple times per day, and just hit refresh if I need to.

Finally, in Settings-->Applications, you can check for running services. Also, the System Panel app will tell you what apps are running (beyond what Settings will tell you). Any apps I don't need that I see are always running, I uninstall.

Upvote 0
Oh, the agony of another battery thread. Say Sammy, hows the battery today? Not good Bill, too much interference from the martians.
lolup.gif

Upvote 0
How long does the battery last from the time you take it off the charger, 'til the time you have to charge back again?
If you feel like explaining what type user you are (i.e. moderate, heavy, etc.), then be my guest.

Standard battery. I get 3-4 hours from moderate use.

I don't use the phone much it downloads from 6 different email accounts; facebook, twitter and I get about 15 SMS message a day. I have my screen at medium brightness. I think the fact that I get about 120 emails a day being polled may be the reason why I get inadequate battery.

Then again, I have micro-sub chargers everywhere (car, bedroom, office, kitchen, bathroom)

I forgot to add: No Wifi. No GPS. 30 minutes of Bluetooth on while in the car.

Upvote 0
12-16 hours with stock battery. I have a number of widgets running and I switch between wifi & 3g. I admit I have killed the battery in less time on days off where i just sit on the couch playing on my phone non-stop. I also have a usb port on the stereo in my car, so it's easy to plug in when I'm driving. These phones do charge quite quickly. I'm considering buying a larger capacity battery but I'm hesitant because reviews seem so mixed.

Upvote 0
I can get through 2 days without having to charge my phone, but that's with light usage. I generally just use it for texting while I'm working as I work in front of a computer, so using it for the internet is a little silly when I have a computer in front of me.

When I'm out and about and using it, I can generally get a day and a half before the phone will start complaining that it needs to be charged.

Upvote 0
yesterday it came off the charger at 6:30am as usual, but i had meetings all day so the days usage was very light, 4 short phone calls, 10 txt and about 20 emails (poll every 15min) and searched the market for about 30min, have gps on but not wifi. at 11pm it was at 73% still. stock battery btw. i don't run facebook or twitter stuff but on a light day i was pretty impressed.
My wife has an eris and she is a heavy heavy txt and voice call user but has all the facebook stuff and email running constantly, she could barely get her phone to last from 7am to 6pm, she shut off the auto facebook stuff and now has about 30% left around 6pm.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones