• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Receive Gmail SMS on phone?

nyioo7

Oct 27, 2011
Hey all. Sorry if this was already been asked before but I couldn't find it anywhere. Not even on google search. It seems like no one ever tried it or something.

Well, my question is, is there a way to send and receive Gmail SMS on phone? There's no way to forward it and it doesn't show up on Gtalk either. I'm asking this because it has international SMS feature that has very low cost for other countries to reply.

Does anyone know any app that can forward this feature from Gmail chat to phone? Even tho my phone support flash and java, it still would not load Gmail chat as it only loads basic html on phone when I access to it directly from mobile web browser. Is there a work around?

Thank you,

Ryan.

Hey. Thanks for reply. But that is not what I'm looking for. I know Gmail has feature to send and receive SMS but it is restricted to only inside Gmail. Mobile browsers do not support that feature since they don't support HTML5. Is there anyway to redirect those SMS messages to phone or get any notifications somehow? Then is there a way to reply? If sipdroid can use Google Voice or calling feature inside Gmail, there's gotta be a way to redirect SMS too?

Upvote 0
This is the same question I have.

I have friends in India with only mobile phones that can text.

In the Gmail interface I can sms then through chat.

They receive the sms on their phone and reply to a Google supplied Indian phone number.

I receive their response in the gmail chat interface.

I have not yet found a way to do this on my smart phone.

I can only do it on my desktop/laptop within the full gmail interface.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones