• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Recoveries and the options.

RobAGD

Jan 10, 2010
Ok,

I currently have RA 1.6.2 has worked well for me ( running Fresh then CM6 )

I keep seeing references to Clock Work Recovery and some others that I'll be honest trying to read up on XDA makes my head spin.

What are the advantages of different recoveries ?

Is there a need to change away from RA ?

Thanks

-Robert

Ok,

I currently have RA 1.6.2 has worked well for me ( running Fresh then CM6 )

I keep seeing references to Clock Work Recovery and some others that I'll be honest trying to read up on XDA makes my head spin.

What are the advantages of different recoveries ?

Is there a need to change away from RA ?

Thanks

-Robert

I don't believe there is any reason to change. For some, it's just preference. Unless you want to try the Gingerbread rom, then you might want to change to clockworkmod.

Upvote 0
I don't believe there is any reason to change. For some, it's just preference. Unless you want to try the Gingerbread rom, then you might want to change to clockworkmod.

Just out of curiosity. Why would I want to change to ClockworkMod Recovery to run the Android 2.3 ROM?

I trust your judgment on these things, andygu3. I just like to know the reasoning behind it.

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity. Why would I want to change to ClockworkMod Recovery to run the Android 2.3 ROM?

I trust your judgment on these things, andygu3. I just like to know the reasoning behind it.

CW is changing there Coding as are the ROM builders.
It sounds like Newer Roms (maybe even Stable 2.3 will require Newer versions of CW)

This is speculation and reading between the lines....

Upvote 0
CW is changing there Coding as are the ROM builders.
It sounds like Newer Roms (maybe even Stable 2.3 will require Newer versions of CW)

This is speculation and reading between the lines....

So, it sounds like to "future proof" my recovery, I should switch to ClockworkMod Recovery, eh? Well, I do not mind changing. ;)

I would never want to sacrifice my ability to keep up with the current ROMs. That would be terrible. :D

Upvote 0
Oops, double posting here, but I had a thought. If I change to ClockworkMod Recovery, I already know that I will have to redo a Nandroid for my original stock ROM and other ROMs for that matter using ClockworkMod Recovery.

My question is do I have to redo these Nandroids everytime an update for the ClockworkMod Recovery comes out? I am thinking probably yes, but was not completely sure.

Upvote 0
HAHA - Ra can boot CW Nandroids but CW can't boot RA nandroids -
Or the opposite. I can't Remember.

Okay! But you still did not answer my other question. ;)

Would have to redo Nandroids every time ClockworkMod Recovery is updated? I am just worried that older Nandroids will be incompatible with newer versions of ClockworkMod Recovery! :D

Upvote 0
Okay! But you still did not answer my other question. ;)

Would have to redo Nandroids every time ClockworkMod Recovery is updated? I am just worried that older Nandroids will be incompatible with newer versions of ClockworkMod Recovery! :D

Yes, if you change your recovery after making a nandroid with a different recovery.

Too be honest, I've had v2.5.0.1 since July and have had NO problems whatsoever with flashing new roms. I had one or two problems md5 mismatch but with rom manager being updated I have no troubles since;)

Upvote 0
Haha. I must just suck at asking questions today and I am sorry to beat a dead horse, but here goes anyway.

Say I flash ClockworkMod Recover version 2.5.0.1, and then later on version 2.5.0.2 comes out. Would my Nandroids made in the older version still be compatible with the newer version? I am not talking about compatibility between ClockworkMod and Amon RA Nandroids. I only mean between versions of ClockworkMod Recoveries.

Upvote 0
Haha. I must just suck at asking questions today and I am sorry to beat a dead horse, but here goes anyway.

Say I flash ClockworkMod Recover version 2.5.0.1, and then later on version 2.5.0.2 comes out. Would my Nandroids made in the older version still be compatible with the newer version? I am not talking about compatibility between ClockworkMod and Amon RA Nandroids. I only mean between versions of ClockworkMod Recoveries.

That I'm not sure, but I would say no

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones