• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] [Recovery][VM]TWRP v.2.8.0.0 for the LG Optimus F3

Upvote 0
I had simuliar problem on my awe had twrp went to advance then wiped data that way three times then I was good to go

I did that in CWM Touch, from the advanced option and It mounted and formated just fine or so it said.
After that I rebooted into Recovery again. Flashed the stock v8 rom from this forum and rebooted. Went back into recovery. :(
I did this same procedure with 2 other roms in our forum.

Upvote 0
The metro pcs button combo to get into recovery is diffrent from the virgin mobile button combo. After you flash a rom, Instead of Volume Down & Power, try Volume Up & Power.

On virgin mobile, if you use volume up & power you go into the factory reset screen. Seams that you're experiencing the opposite.

Thank you. That was a very intuitive suggestion, but holding volume up + power only causes the phone to reboot. I tried the Xperion and SlimLite ROMs and I tried flashing from CWM and TWRP with the same results. After flashing the ROM I can no longer boot into recovery, DATA keeps getting corrupted/wiped. Flashing with aboot, which I received from a CWM installer, much like the TWRP windows installer, fixes the data issue, but corrupts the ROM. Factory reset does not fix the ROM, it must be reflashed before it will boot. I cannot have both a working ROM and recovery. Is there another ROM for the MetroPCS MS659 that I could try? I have been hoping for cyanogenmod specifically for the built in tethering function.

Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0
Thank you. That was a very intuitive suggestion, but holding volume up + power only causes the phone to reboot. I tried the Xperion and SlimLite ROMs and I tried flashing from CWM and TWRP with the same results. After flashing the ROM I can no longer boot into recovery, DATA keeps getting corrupted/wiped. Flashing with aboot, which I received from a CWM installer, much like the TWRP windows installer, fixes the data issue, but corrupts the ROM. Factory reset does not fix the ROM, it must be reflashed before it will boot. I cannot have both a working ROM and recovery. Is there another ROM for the MetroPCS MS659 that I could try? I have been hoping for cyanogenmod specifically for the built in tethering function.

Thanks for all the help.
Use the metro pcs recovery, not the Virgin Mobile recovery.

Your issue is that you installed a virgin mobile recovery in a metro pcs phone. The recovery is a kernel and a recovery ramdisk bundled together. The kernel included is the problem.

Give me a few days. Ill throw together a version of twrp for metro pcs. Using their kernel. Will you test it for me?

Last edited:
Reactions: roadkill42
Upvote 0
Here is the error from the CWM log:, perhaps it may shed light on this subject.

w: failed to mount /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata (File exists)

I think you would need to run the unbrick tool. Work on getting your usb drivers working. Something became crupt. The tool will resume it.

Upvote 0
Use the metro pcs recovery, not the Virgin Mobile recovery.

Your issue is that you installed a virgin mobile recovery in a metro pcs phone. The recovery is a kernel and a recovery ramdisk bundled together. The kernel included is the problem.

Give me a few days. Ill throw together a version of twrp for metro pcs. Using their kernel. Will you test it for me?

Absolutely! I'll test. Can't wait.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hey LDA4D4141, no one on the metro pcs forum want's to help with providing me with a kernel.

Don't use the virgin mobile twrp. Use this instead:
http://androidforums.com/threads/philz-touch-advanced-cwm6-0-4-8-based-recovery.843779/

That should work until I can make time to get it working for you guys
I might be able to provide you a kernel cause I have the t-mobile f3 running xperion rom and the t-mobile and metro pcs versions are identical. Just tell me how I can give you the kernel and I'll give it to you. I'm really looking forward to getting TWRP if possible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones