• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] [Recovery][VM]TWRP v.2.8.0.0 for the LG Optimus F3

I have my f3 (v8 update) running link2sd to free up space for more apps. I also have rom toolbox installed and used it to make some tweaks to the kernel and build.prop. this sounds like a great recovery id love to have. I know you cant guarantee anything, but would there be any reason you know for this to cause a problem?I would run the command like you gave at the beginning of the thread.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Also forgot to say I have a custom boot animation. Don't know if any of this makes a difference. Sorry for all the dumb questions, im just learning about all this cool stuff. Have the img file downloaded to my phone and ready to flash with flashify. Just would hate to mess something up unnecessarily, so if anyone sees a problem here and lets me know, I would be grateful.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Also forgot to say I have a custom boot animation. Don't know if any of this makes a difference. Sorry for all the dumb questions, im just learning about all this cool stuff. Have the img file downloaded to my phone and ready to flash with flashify. Just would hate to mess something up unnecessarily, so if anyone sees a problem here and lets me know, I would be grateful.

Thanks again!
It shouldnt cause a problem at all to install custom recovery but there are no guarantees.

The boot animation, by the way, is a system item and modifying just the boot ani will almost never cause problems with recovery.

Reactions: 4_f0x
Upvote 0
Will using the volume down and power key to reboot factory reset my phone? I don't want to do that! How can I backup without doing a factory reset? Shall I reboot recovery from rom toolbox?
I'm a little confused after reading this thread and the Metropcs one.

Thanks for all the help!
Always use the key combo do not ever use any form of reboot recovery. :)

Upvote 0
Hi I am a noob, I have my VM Optimus F3 rooted via Stump. I installed TWRP so I can make a Nandroid backup. I can't figure out how to boot into the TWRP recovery menu though. Here's what I have done:

Downloaded file named TWRP_Recovery_Windows-Installer.zip, extracted, followed install instructions in INSTRUCTIONS.txt. Here's a screen dump of .bat file run:
-------- TWRP v2.8.0.0 -------
Phone Detected...
Press any key to continue . . .
[+] Sending files to your device...
[+] Setting file permissions...
[+] Flashing image files...
[+] Removing temperary files...
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/aboot.img, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/boot.lok, No such file or directory
-------------- All Done ---------------
Press any key to continue . . .​

I am not sure if the rm failed step is a problem or not but the "All Done" seemed to indicate that all was ok.
So next, I try to boot into recovery, per xclusive36's instructions:
"To get into recovery, turn off the phone. Once its completely off, press and hold the power button and the volume down buttons. When you see the words 'release keys to boot into recovery' let go of the buttons otherwise your phone reboots."

Phone boots into what looks like the stock recovery mode:
Android system recovery <3e>
Volume up/down to move highlight:
enter button to select.

reboot system now
apply update from external sd card
apply update from cache
apply update from ADB
wipe dara/factory reset
wipe cache partition​

So I am stuck, not sure where to go to get into TWRP touch recovery. Hope I am being clear and not redundant of previous posts, I have read the whole thread. Thank you for the help.

Upvote 0
Hi I am a noob, I have my VM Optimus F3 rooted via Stump. I installed TWRP so I can make a Nandroid backup. I can't figure out how to boot into the TWRP recovery menu though. Here's what I have done:

Downloaded file named TWRP_Recovery_Windows-Installer.zip, extracted, followed install instructions in INSTRUCTIONS.txt. Here's a screen dump of .bat file run:
Phone Detected...

I am not sure if the rm failed step is a problem or not but the "All Done" seemed to indicate that all was ok.
"To get into recovery, turn off the phone. Once its completely off, press and hold the power button and the volume down buttons. When you see the words 'release keys to boot into recovery' let go of the buttons otherwise your phone reboots."

enter button to select.

reboot system now
apply update from cache
apply update from ADB
wipe dara/factory reset
wipe cache partition​

So I am stuck, not sure where to go to get into TWRP touch recovery. Hope I am being clear and not redundant of previous posts, I have read the whole thread. Thank you for the help.
by the sounds of it twrp did not flash if u extract the BMP twrp from the Windows installer and put on root of ext sf card and go to play store down load flasafi it wi flash twrp and boot in to it I make sure any thing u want to keep take off ur phone. after it boots into twrp using flahafi turn off phone don't restart in twarp it will do factory teset

Upvote 0

Phone Detected...

enter button to select.

reboot system now
apply update from cache
apply update from ADB
wipe dara/factory reset
wipe cache partition​

Make sure you turn on USB debugging on before you run the bat file otherwise it will fail.

Upvote 0
by the sounds of it twrp did not flash if u extract the BMP twrp from the Windows installer and put on root of ext sf card and go to play store down load flasafi it wi flash twrp and boot in to it I make sure any thing u want to keep take off ur phone. after it boots into twrp using flahafi turn off phone don't restart in twarp it will do factory teset
I am not so sure if I want to use Flashify. Wiping my data simply by accidentally restarting in TWRP doesn't sound to appealing to me. I'd rather get the .bat install method working. Thank you for the reply, it all helps me to learn the in's and out's of things.

Upvote 0
Make sure you turn on USB debugging on before you run the bat file otherwise it will fail.
Thank you. I double checked and USB debugging is on. Attached is a screen dump of running the .bat file to install TWRP and also the .bat file (.txt appended to filename). I'll try Flashify if there's no other way, but it just sounds a bit risky for a NOOB.

Attachments

• Twrp install screen dump1.jpg
    Twrp install screen dump1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 101
  • install.bat.txt
    948 bytes · Views: 97
Upvote 0
I am not so sure if I want to use Flashify. Wiping my data simply by accidentally restarting in TWRP doesn't sound to appealing to me. I'd rather get the .bat install method working. Thank you for the reply, it all helps me to learn the in's and out's of things.
do what exclusive said even after u get it flashed the windows method u still never reboot while in twrp I did and it did a factory reset just take ur time and double check to make sure :)

Upvote 0
Thank you. I double checked and USB debugging is on. Attached is a screen dump of running the .bat file to install TWRP and also the .bat file (.txt appended to filename). I'll try Flashify if there's no other way, but it just sounds a bit risky for a NOOB.
don't do flashifi yet whait tell exclusive to respond he can help u get it OK he is one of many devs who helped on doing the windows way he is good

Upvote 0
don't do flashifi yet whait tell exclusive to respond he can help u get it OK he is one of many devs who helped on doing the windows way he is good
Will do. You guys are both fast at responding. I feel guilty I am slow to respond! I tried again and I got it. Not sure what portion fo what I did help but here's the play-by-play:
1) Wanted to check if the path /data/local/tmp/ existed. Turned on Root Explorer in ES File Explorer. I did not see the path so I created it. But mistakenly created /data/data/local/tmp/.
2) Reran the .bat. This time, I got the prompt for root access for ADB Shell from SuperSU. I had not seen that in any of the previous runs of the .bat.
3) .bat Echo screen gave all he same messages
4) Went into /data/local/tmp/ and saw log file.
5) Discovered my error about the location /data/data/local/tmp/
6) Rebooted right into TWRP.
Not sure if any of step 1 could have affected the results. Step 2, I had not seen previously. In previous runs of .bat, the screen was off most of the time and SuperSU prompt maybe came and went without the screen turning on?

A few other questions, about the comments about rebooting while in TWRP. Are you talking about the bottom right button in TWRP called "Reboot"? If so, how do I exit TWRP if I am not doing an Install, Wipe, Backup or one of the other menu items?
I thought I've read Reboot, followed by Recovery on the next screen will do factory reset? If so, the other three buttons do the following:
System: Reboots into android system. Is that right?
Power off: pretty obvious.
Boot/Loader: Does that boot back into TWRP?

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Will do. You guys are both fast at responding. I feel guilty I am slow to respond! I tried again and I got it. Not sure what portion fo what I did help but here's the play-by-play:
1) Wanted to check if the path /data/local/tmp/ existed. Turned on Root Explorer in ES File Explorer. I did not see the path so I created it. But mistakenly created /data/data/local/tmp/.
2) Reran the .bat. This time, I got the prompt for root access for ADB Shell from SuperSU. I had not seen that in any of the previous runs of the .bat.
3) .bat Echo screen gave all he same messages
4) Went into /data/local/tmp/ and saw log file.
5) Discovered my error about the location /data/data/local/tmp/
6) Rebooted right into TWRP.
Not sure if any of step 1 could have affected the results. Step 2, I had not seen previously. In previous runs of .bat, the screen was off most of the time and SuperSU prompt maybe came and went without the screen turning on?

A few other questions, about the comments about rebooting while in TWRP. Are you talking about the bottom right button in TWRP called "Reboot"? If so, how do I exit TWRP if I am not doing an Install, Wipe, Backup or one of the other menu items?
I thought I've read Reboot, followed by Recovery on the next screen will do factory reset? If so, the other three buttons do the following:
System: Reboots into android system. Is that right?
Power off: pretty obvious.
Boot/Loader: Does that boot back into TWRP?

Thank you.

So after further testing, I had phone in standby, when I ran .bat, Android lock screen was coming up but unless, I swipe I was not seeing the SuperSU prompt and thus access was being denied. I think it's best to have the phone awake and past the lock screen prior to running .bat, then everything worked fine. Thanks regarding "Power off" option. It seems safest to me too. Wouldn't mind hearing from Xclusive about what the "System" and the "Boot/Loader" options do.

Upvote 0
So after further testing, I had phone in standby, when I ran .bat, Android lock screen was coming up but unless, I swipe I was not seeing the SuperSU prompt and thus access was being denied. I think it's best to have the phone awake and past the lock screen prior to running .bat, then everything worked fine. Thanks regarding "Power off" option. It seems safest to me too. Wouldn't mind hearing from Xclusive about what the "System" and the "Boot/Loader" options do.
Do a back up and make sure twrp is set to ext sf card

Upvote 0
When I flashed with flashify, then powered off and tried to reboot with power and vol down, it always just booted into android. I had to do like roadkill42 and reboot in flashify, then it booted to twrp. Then I didn't know how to get out safely, so I hit backup instead. That forced a factory reset, so I guess I need to power off the first time booting into twrp, then try the key combo again.

I found a used f3 and ordered it today, so I'll try on that one until I get it right to avoid the headache of having to get my phone back from factory reset=:(

I was surprised I didn't lose root over all that. Rooted with vroot and have ota updated twice and factory reset twice without losing it :)

Thanks a million for all your helpful posts everyone! Think I know how to make this work now once my other phone gets here. Best of luck!

Reactions: xclusive36
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones