• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Redmi Note 5 Pro - Amazing so far

hardus77

Lurker
May 17, 2019
Hello everyone,

So I finally picked up the Redmi Note 5 Pro (4/64 GB, Black) after asking around on this forum, and I must say, I am loving the device so far.

It's such a huge performance boost over the devices utilizing the 625 SoC, and am amazed by how snappy it feels.

I have used various flagships, including the iPhone 8, Pixel 2, Mi Mix 2, OnePlus 5T etc. and this feels close, if not as good. No lags or stutters after applying the initial update. Everything's humming along very smoothly. And the battery life has been outstanding.

7 Hrs 45 mins with 25% juice still left, an hour ago. Charged it fully yesterday night, after installing all applications and theming it to my satisfaction.

I was a bit skeptical about picking up the Indian variant and considered importing the China/Global unit (for the better rear camera) but I must say, I am pleasantly surprised by the camera performance as well. It's no pixel, but for the price of admission, I'd say the images offered are fantastic. The extreme low-light shots are good enough to be used after a slight amount of quick editing on the fly.

But most of all, I am impressed by the overall performance. I came in without any expectations and my experience with previous Xiaomi budget offerings (which have all been solid secondary devices) while good, hasn't exactly been anything to write home about. This device feels incredibly snappy and everything is fast and super smooth. I wonder if the 6 GB variant would have been even better.

I am seriously considering moving over to Apple's ecosystem entirely by end of July (the whole deal; iPhone, iPad and MacBook) but even if I do, I will be keeping this baby around as a secondary device.

If I don't migrate, I'll likely either pick up the Mi 8 (if it launches here in India) or a Mi Mix 2/2s along with a Surface book.

In either case, just wanted to drop in a 'line' of appreciation for the device, and thank everyone in the community for their advice and support.

Cheers!

Reactions: mikedt and ocnbrze
I did have the original iPhone, over ten years ago now, never had an iOS device since. I do use Macbook though.

I've sometimes considered Xiaomi when looking for new phones, but never actually bought one. My current daily use phone is a Huawei Mate 10. And the last new Samsung I had was a Galaxy Note7, very, very briefly. I do have an S7 that was given to me though

Last edited:
Reactions: Ldev778 and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones