Regarding the slot cycle setting from the 2.x thread...General

Last Updated:

1. suXor

suXor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

FYI, the slot cycle defines how often the device wakes up and checks the CDMA network for messages, incoming calls, etc. This does not effect the throughput of a data connection. It will only improve responsiveness for catching incoming calls and messages from the network.

Each increment in settings doubles or haves the interval time. Slot cycle 0 wakes the device to check the paging channel every 1.28s. 1 is every 2.56, 2 is 5.12s, etc.

Only thing you are doing is using more battery....any other observations are a placebo.

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

why didnt you put this in that thread?

3. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

i put my device from 2 to 1 and its fine

4. suXor

5. icomeanon

icomeanon Well-Known Member

i dunno about that, OP. i checked news.google.com pre-change, and it usually takes 5-20 seconds to load the page. after changing from 2 to 1, it takes 3-10 seconds, but the 10-20 range is completely gone. so either there was a big coincidence the day i made the change of my speed increasing for some other reason, or the slot change has some sort of secondary effects.
    ive also gotten better speed at other sites, but thats one of the ones i visit most, so that's the example that is the most tested over the last 24 hrs.

6. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

7. ericlmccormick

ericlmccormick Well-Known Member

It was locked because people stopped talking about 2.x in a 2.x thread and got way off topic. This info is good to have, I changed the setting on my phone this morning. I haven't gotten any calls since to really test it out but the thory is sound and I expect a much faster response on getting phone calls.

8. smacky

smacky Banned

I was the one that suggested it to a lot of people after finding out myself what it was. My battery life has improved, I now get two bars of service in my room which used to give me no bars. Internet speed I don't care for because I use WiFi, but 3g seemed to work decently well for me, but not a whole lot faster. I'm not the only one that saw the changes, a lot of people have noticed them.

I thought it was placebo at first too, but now it's definitely running faster after I changed the slot cycle. May not be because of it, but the change did happen after I did that.

9. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

So has anyone tested to see that their phone now rings as soon as the call is placed when changed to 0? (As opposed to 5 seconds later). That may not be the easiest thing to test because you may catch the very beginning of the cycle or the very end when set to 5 seconds.

10. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I kind of tested it out last night. I was calling my phone from the home phone and calling my girl's phone. Mine was set to 0 and her's was set to 2. I made 5 calls to each phone. The only thing I really noticed is that I would hear one ring on the home phone before my phone started to ring and 2 or 3 rings on my girl's phone before her's would ring. I set both phones to 1 and it would then ring 1 or 2 times before either of our would ring.

11. suXor

Going from a 2 to a 1 or a 1 to a 0 is a marginal change. Carriers have found that 1-2 is an optimal setting to receive calls/messages in a timely fashion while maintaining decent batter life.

Clearly I am not going to argue the findings of users that have adjusted this and observed results. I am simply stating the standards behind the setting.

12. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I don't think the change was that big of a deal really. There was a one ring change depending on which slot I selected. If the battery life shows any significant effect from the change then it will go right back to 2.

13. Mortgage_It

Mortgage_It Well-Known Member

yes, keep us posted on your battery thoughts. i moved mine from 2 to 1 and i feel that perhaps the battery has been the same.

14. smacky

smacky Banned

Again, I have been at 0 since last Saturday night. Battery is the same, it seems. Nothing noticeable.

Man up and bump it to 0. It's not going to bite. If it sucks for you, switch back.

15. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed a change in battery life. I went from 2 to 1. I'm convinced my weather channel widget's initial response to loading is faster. I think it has to do with the initial connection with getting a signal being sped up.

16. cpryor3007

cpryor3007 Member

I changes mine to 0 on Sunday morning. I have not notice any difference in my battery life. But the response time on receiving calls is much better.

17. mss12

mss12 Well-Known Member

How do you change it went through all the settings menu and couldnt find it

18. Bswartz95

Call: ##778
    password: 000000

Use "edit mode"

Modem Settings --> Slot Cycle

When you change the setting, make sure you press the "menu" button and confirm modifications or your change won't take.

19. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Okay...changed to zero...we'll see what happens. So Smacky, if I get a battery hit, it is all your fault for pulling the "man up" dare. :D

20. Bswartz95

I changed mine from 1 to 0 on the dare as well. :D

21. Slugdoc

Slugdoc Well-Known Member

So why do you think HTC/Verizon defaulted it to 2?

It seems (from the above) that it doesn't have much effect on battery life, so that's not it.

Maybe to decrease the load on the cell towers? How many customers can a cell in Manhattan accomodate per second? Changing the slot from 2 to 0 would be a quadrupling of the load on the tower, right? If everyone did that? System failure? Increased lag time? AT&T Network?

(This is not to say that is reason for an individual not to do it -- just a thought problem.)

22. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

Ok, so if I am understanding you correctly, it has NOTHING to do with our 3G coverage and only checks the tower for calls/messages (I'm guessing that would be 1x) faster? So it was a total fluke that many people who have changed it did in fact see an improvement in speed... interesting.

23. Bswartz95

I haven't really noticed a change speed in overall 3g. However, the initial connection when waking the phone up seems faster (i.e. when i wake my phone up, the Weather Channel widget updates instantly now. Before, it took a few seconds).

I can't speak for anyone else though.

24. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Is there someplace that tells us what all those other settings control? I'm not looking at the screen now, but there was one something like 'phone' that showed 10 names and numbers that could be edited. I'm kind of wondering what that's about. And just generally nosy, (curious, I'm sure I meant curious) about the others.

25. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I totally forgot about that "back screen". I also edited the DUN settings.