• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Release app: free or paid?

paolodit

Lurker
Jun 19, 2010
Hi!

My first app is a social down-the-pub app, a joke to play on your friends. Should be finished for release in under a month.

So am looking to work out whether I should sell my app at say 99cents (or pence), or give it away for free - ad funded! Will it flop if I try and sell it?

What are your experiences for ad-funded? How much revenue per download does a "fun" app typically make, any feedback?

From my experience in other sectors going for a "big" launch is better.. So am thinking that if I go paid-app route, that I should pay 50 people to download the app from the android store on day 1, and give genuine comments. Has anyone tried this strategy?

Also what are your experiences of getting apps reviewed by both android sites, and other blogs? This sounds haaaaard work to work the relationships to get reviews. Any experience?

I know that's a lot of questions, but really want to hear your experiences of marketing your app! B

thanks

Paid apps typically do well when they have a very specific (utility) function with the obvious exception of games. In a lot of cases, people will want to try it out before paying money, even with the refund available, so having a limited free version can help. It sounds to me like your app would probably do better as ad-supported.

How much will it make if it's ad-supported? That's really tough to say. It depends on your download numbers, your fill rate, your CPM, and other factors. You could see a few dollars or you could see a decent amount coming in.

Either way, the key is getting exposure. If your app does something that others don't or it does something in a new way, it will be a lot easier to get people to review it, tweet about it, and otherwise do a lot of the marketing for you. If your goal is to make money on it, you'll have to be willing to do the work of getting it known, rather than just crossing your fingers and hoping it will do well in the Market.

Upvote 0
Dude, thanks for your interesting response...

Do you have any example metrics that you mention on ad revenue?

I am thinking of adding affilliate offers (custom to my apps niche), rather than just google mobile adsense... E.g. adverts that pay-on-sale, rather than earn-per-click.that is if it isn't against Market TOS.

My launch strategy is something like:
- having a standout title, description and icon
- pay XX androidy folk people to download app and give it a comments on 1 day (the big hit theory)
- get android app review sites to review (somehow!)
- get non-android magazine writers on this apps niche, to review it - if they find it funny.

any input, experience appreciated!
Paolo

Upvote 0
For my personal projects so far, I haven't used any ads. I'm expecting to use them in a game I am developing, but it's still quite a ways off. Most of what I said comes from experience with development where I work, but all the numbers around that are confidential.

It sounds like you've got a pretty good strategy lined up. Hopefully it works out well for you :)

Upvote 0
paolodit, i would also suggest putting it into the Alpha & Beta Testing forum on here, just so that you can get some publicity, there will be a few people who wont pay for it on here, but then after beta testing, you should be able to get people who beta tested it to buy the application, but its up to you, i think it would help, since im in your position, good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones