• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Remote Security choices

Kevin-B

Feb 24, 2010
Can anyone explain all the choices for remote wipe/lock on the Droid Maxx?

In "Device Administrators" I seem to have
- Motorola Device Policy: "...secure your device remotely"
- Android Device Manager: "...lock or erase a lost device"
as well as my corporate outlook exchange account that can presumably do much the same.

In Settings > Apps I have
- Verizon Mobile Security, currently disabled
- Device Management, with a Motorola logo on it.

Can someone sort out the pros and cons of each of these three or four systems, how they interact if more than one is used, and what you recommend?

Confused here!

There are third party apps that can do this that many people use as well.

The Android Device Manager is a service of Google's Play Services and was added as a service in the last month or so. I have very successfully located my device with that web service several times, on both computer and tablet browsers, though I've never tried wiping the device (for, I hope, obvious reasons, though perhaps I should do so for my old Droid 3 as a test.) You can access the web service from this site: https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager?u=0

The Motorola Device Policy is a service that works from Motorola's web site. You can go to this page https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/product_page/faqs/p/30,6720,8882/#/how_do_i and use the "Lost Device" link. There are several things that you need to do ahead of time:

- On the Maxx, go to settings->Motorola Device ID and use one of the Google accounts (presumably the primary Google account used to set up the device) as your Motorola ID.

- Again on the Maxx, settings->Security & Screen Lock->Device Administrators and make sure that "Motorola Device Policy" is checked.

- Also in settings->Security & Screen Lock, make sure that you have a screen lock turned on, if you do not have one already.

Go to Settings, then select Security

- Set a Screen lock if you don't already have one

- Still in Security select Device Administrators and activate Motorola Device Policy

- Also in Settings->Location access, turn the Access to my location switch ON. Ensure GPS satellites and Wi-Fi & mobile network location are both turned on.

- On the Moto web site I linked above, sign in on the upper right and choose to use the Google+ account that you used for the Motorola ID on the phone.

[I just tried, and I keep getting a notice that I must sign in, even though I am already signed in. (A Moto rep on Google+ earlier today said that this is a bug that was supposed to be fixed last night. However, it seems to remain.]

When it works, the "Lost Device" on Moto's web site gives a few options that the Android Device Manager does not. ADM only allows you to wipe or ring the device; the Moto service (when it works) allows you to lock the device, presumably to your lock screen (I haven't tried it yet) as well.

Based on the fact that the Moto service seems buggy, I'm depending on the Android Device Manager myself.

I'm not going to use any Verizon service myself.

Other than what I've typed, I can't really comment on any pros and cons.

Upvote 0
When it works, the "Lost Device" on Moto's web site gives a few options that the Android Device Manager does not. ADM only allows you to wipe or ring the device; the Moto service (when it works) allows you to lock the device, presumably to your lock screen (I haven't tried it yet) as well.

I did end up locking the device. It asks you to set up a PIN number, and changes whichever lockscreen method you used to that PIN number. (So, if you had pattern, like I did, you now have PIN lockscreen.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones