• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Remove contacts old number

silasp

Jan 9, 2020
Hi. On my Note 8 I have a few contacts who have changed their phone numbers. I can go in and add the new numbers but I can't find a way to delete the old ones. When I Google the question all I get is info on how to delete an old contact but not just an old number. I'm sure I must be missing something.

Appreciate any help.

Hmm, never heard of that problem. Are you using the stock Samsung contacts app?

You should be able to just overwrite the old number (so not delete, just replace). But if not you should also just be able to open the contact to edit, tap the "-" next to the old number and remove it. I just tried that with an old contact on my s21 (so probably a newer version of the app than your Note 8) and it worked as I'd expect it to.

Maybe clear the cache of the Contacts app and restart the phone, see whether anything changes?

Upvote 0
This sounds like you're using two different Contacts services, one is your online Google Contacts and the other is the Contacts app on your phone. Or if you do have syncing enabled for your phone's Contacts app, there's a problem where the syncing process isn't working.
So do you have syncing enabled? (Check your Settings >> Accounts >> Google menu)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones