Removing AT&T branding from startupSupport

Last Updated:

1. sahaj

sahaj Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Guys. I just got the Captivate today, and when it booted up saw the ugly AT&T branding with the AT&T logo and their 3G animation. Is there any way to remove this junk? I already have it rooted. Would be nice to see the default Android bootup graphics.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member

I'd think it'd be similar to how you change the Window's boot screens. Figure out where the graphics are being stored and replace them with same named alternatives.

3. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

I'd like to replace it with the stock Samsung Galaxy S start-up screen.

4. tonyc

tonyc Member

I'd like to just mute it at least.. it is way too loud. Is there a way?

5. Terry S

Terry S Well-Known Member

Under Settings - Sounds and Display - System Volume - you can turn this sound off or down, it will also lower the volume of the your touch feedback at the same time.

6. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

Search the forum...there is a way to delete the .wav file that plays the at&t sound. I think you gotta root first though.

7. MrTony

MrTony Banned

sahaj likes this.
  8. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

I agree - not that I have anything against AT&T, but having their logo etched into the top of the phone is enough branding for me. Also, any idea if this increases the bootup time of the phone? Does the OS pause the bootup process while showing the video or is it played while the booting continues in the background?

9. sahaj

Thanks MrTony!

Anyone know where the shutdown wav file is stored? And how to get rid of the default AT&T graphics?

[edit] shutdown sound is here: /system/media/audio/ui/shutdown.ogg

10. sahaj

shutdown animation: /system/media/video/shutdown

just rename it to shutdown.bak

11. sahaj

startup at&t/samsung animation: /system/media/bootsamsungloop.qmg

rename is to bootsamsungloop.qmg.bak

startup is a little fast.

12. circazero

circazero Well-Known Member

Since you are renaming the file. What will show up on system boot then? A black screen?

I would try it but I want to make sure first.

13. sahaj

yep, you get a black screen after the AT&T logo. i rather have a black screen than flashy annoying graphics.

14. circazero

circazero Well-Known Member

But what if what I want to get rid off is the att part?

15. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member

Why are you guys restarting your phones often enough to keep seeing those logos enough to be bugged by them? I'm not against getting rid of them, I'm just surprised to see them already annoying people. Only time I've restarted my phone was to fix a quirk that I didn't feel like hunting down the culprit of.

16. Terrigno

Terrigno Well-Known Member

I agree. Smartphones are like Computers. They shouldn't be turned off and on constantly. Just once in awhile.

17. sahaj

i haven't figured that out yet.

18. sahaj

if that's the argument then why does the company feel that i need to see a giant logo everytime, no matter how many few times it is, i reboot my machine.

i don't like AT&T. i despise seeing their logo.

19. sahaj

i've rebooted my phone so many times since i got to in order to try and fix things here and there and to personalize it. root, gps, battery, new settings. i feel like the logos add extra delay when there doesn't need to be any. not to mention branding to a customer that already has that brand.

20. Croak

Croak Well-Known Member

Just like every other Android phone, the first part of the boot sequence is hard-coded into the ROM. The "HTC" or "M" or whatever depending on the brand.

So you'll have to wait for somebody to cook new ROMs to get rid of the "OMFGWTFBBQ that's too bright and too white" AT&T World Phone.

The Vibrant has a great startup, btw, just says "Vibrant" in the middle in white, and Galaxy S at the bottom, mostly black screen and it's tasteful and has impact. The animated portion...not so much, it's arguably worse than the Captivate (at least once the AT&T "great bars of fire!" bit is over.)

The animated part, that's pretty much done the same way the shutdown sequence is (a series of .png stills linked together, and the order of the playback controlled by a .xml file). Unlike the "S" (or Vibrant "Goodbye"), which is an optional non-standard Android behavior, the method in which the boot animations is packaged is important.

I imagine you'll start seeing new boot animations once we've got a working nandroid backup system.

sahaj likes this.
  21. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member

I don't know much about phone bootups, but on a computer these screens cover the textual bootup process. They aren't delaying the boot time, they're just covering up the geeky stuff. It's "prettier".

And if you despise AT&T then why did you just agree to stick with them for the next two years? I don't particularly love them, but I don't get infuriated when I see their logo.

Branded bootscreens are the industry norm. What else would you expect them to put up? Chances are, there's a way to disable them so you can see the boot process, or replace them with custom images. I honestly fail to see how this is all that big a deal.

22. brekyl

brekyl New Member

exactly how do you rename it?

23. Roachk1lla

Roachk1lla Member

Its a logo? You have logo's on everything you own. Your shoes, shirt and pants are covered in them. Do you cut the Swoosh off your Nike's??

24. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Thread moved.