Removing Bloatware HTC Evo

Last Updated:

1. steveltx

steveltx Member This Topic's Starter

does anyone have a list of whats safe to remove from a sprint htc evo?

Advertisement
  2. baddubbin

baddubbin Well-Known Member

3. steveltx

steveltx Member This Topic's Starter

thanks.. but is there a list with the titles of the bloatware not the technical aspect of it?

4. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

If you can't figure out the name of the app from the apk name, you shouldn't be messing around with it...IMO.

5. smokescreen

smokescreen Member

Forgive my ignorance here, but to remove this bloatware you do have to root the phone first right? or can this just be done via command line?

6. exBBuser

exBBuser Well-Known Member

Root,root.

7. teknagen

teknagen Well-Known Member

Never delete any of them just freeze them with titanium backup app! if you sticking with stock rom any ota updates will check for files and if its missing you wont be able to update.

8. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

Any OTA Updates will also remove root, which you must have to remove or freeze unwanted bloatware. You may enjoy the benefits of OTA Updates without accepting them and losing root. Simply wait a day or so until the craftmasters over at XDA release a rooted version.

9. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I learned this the hard way...though i backed up the stock ups before uninstalling with titanium them I couldn't reinstall...

what a mess trying to find all of those apps and put them somewhere safe (which I now have if anyone needs lol)

10. Doomsquadxxx

Doomsquadxxx Member

I just frooze anything that looks stupid ended up with 52 frozen crap apps ..I might be wrong but my phone is working good. Well decent lol

11. dmsatax1x

dmsatax1x Member

HELP PLEASE. I've been trying for hours now to get a handle on this. Have just rooted my Evo with the newest REVOked and made a nandroid backup as well. My problem is actually removing the stock apps that i don't want. i installed RootExplorer and found where the apps like amazonmp3, nascar, etc are located......BUT when i select each app and try to delete i get this message "amazonmp3.apk cannot be deleted because the file system is read-only". Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong with rootexplorer or otherwise? I also have found another method to uninstall unwanted apps by going into the command menu. My problem is when i go to RUN>>CMD, what comes up isnt just C:\ but instead C:\Users\david>
    and when i type in anything having to do with ADB it just doesnt work.

Help please, i'm a major noob.

Thanks in advance

12. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Yes..u need to use titanium an freeze the apps...it really is the easy way

13. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

You might try an easier path. Download Titanium Backup from the Market. I use the free version... it works fine. T.B. does more than just "Back-up," it gives you easy, from the phone, 1 click options to freeze, delete, uninstall anything on your phone. Freezing is the safest route, as you can unfreeze any frozen goods that may require defrosting in the future.

Another option yet is to flash a ROM that already has much of the bloatware removed. It's safely tucked in a folder and not in use. These apps will remain hidden unless you pull them out of their folder and install them.

14. dmsatax1x

dmsatax1x Member

ok thanks guys. i downloaded Titanuim backup and deleted the apps for now as i dont have a card or anything to donate from to get the freezing options unlocked. I figure if i need em i can alway revert to the backup...hopefully i wont have to.

15. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Restoring from the backup usually doesn't work on the stock apps...I recently posted the file of stock alms in a thread...would nt be a bad idea to search that and bookmark the file

16. mplsnst

mplsnst Active Member

Root Explorer opens in read only mode by default so you don't delete anything important by accident. It will say "Mounted as r/o" at the top of the screen. Hit the gray "Mount R/W" button. The label will change to 'Mounted as r/w' (ie. read/write), and you'll be able to delete anything you want.

17. iluvandroid6879

iluvandroid6879 Active Member

i have titanium backup lite so i cant freeze apps, so instead i stupidly uninstalled nascar and how do i get it back, i even factory reset it.
    thanks in advance

18. dmsatax1x

dmsatax1x Member

thanks for the heads up Mr. Ed

19. JuanPablo

JuanPablo New Member

hello, I've tried to use titanium backup but it, and setcpu, say root access failed.

20. sintricate

sintricate Well-Known Member

Is your phone rooted?