• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacement for push ads

If it were Google or Apple or any other media gorilla, I would see this being more effective at the regional level. Joe's market in Cleveland could have their house brand placed on the local cable access while the rest of the country sees a national branded product.

I don't know that I really care much, but product placement is big business like celebrity/athlete endorsement.

Upvote 0
I don't have a problem with product placement most of the time. Like when they drive around in a Hyundai in the Walking Dead. Unrealistic, but at the same time it doesn't really bother me.

That kind of thing doesn't really bother me either...

"But once that can of watery Dutch lager made it into Skyfall, it would be a collosal pain to either remove it or replace it with a pint of Theakston's Old Peculier. Not so with MirriAd's digital product placement."

007 always wore a Rolex, for a while he wore a Seiko, and now he wears an Omega I believe. 007 movies have nearly always had heavy and obvious product placements.

So many movies you see, where every computer is a Sony Vaio or an Apple Mac, etc.

Reactions: Speed Daemon
Upvote 0
That kind of thing doesn't really bother me either...

"But once that can of watery Dutch lager made it into Skyfall, it would be a collosal pain to either remove it or replace it with a pint of Theakston's Old Peculier. Not so with MirriAd's digital product placement."

007 always wore a Rolex, for a while he wore a Seiko, and now he wears an Omega I believe. 007 movies have nearly always had heavy and obvious product placements.

So many movies you see, where every computer is a Sony Vaio or an Apple Mac, etc.

I've seen Dell on the Big Bang Theory and they even mentioned Ubuntu. I think there have been Android phones on shows like CSI and Bones.

Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it's obvious and sometimes it's ridiculous like the James Bond movie where there was a chase scene in AMC vehicles (Hornet and Matador) ... The only thing those cars chased was the tow truck ;)

Upvote 0
I've seen Dell on the Big Bang Theory and they even mentioned Ubuntu. I think there have been Android phones on shows like CSI and Bones.

Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it's obvious and sometimes it's ridiculous like the James Bond movie where there was a chase scene in AMC vehicles (Hornet and Matador) ... The only thing those cars chased was the tow truck ;)

ROFL!

That was "Man With The Golden Gun" in Thailand, wasn't it? One of my favourite and completely rediculous recent ones is in Skyfall, where James Bond demolishes some new VW Beetles on a train with a large Caterpillar excavator.

BTW Skyfall has just been released here in China, and the Shanghai elevator and fight scene has been cut by the censors, the Macao hookers are out as well. :rolleyes: Of course many people, including some of my students, have already seen the full non-PRC version anyway.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
On the other side of the same coin, I'm constantly annoyed by seeing the normal badges that I expect to see on various products covered up inexpertly by black gaffer's tape. There is such a thing as going too far. :rolleyes:

On one particular show, "Bones", I really didn't like it when the FBI agent character's factually correct Chevrolet SUV was replaced with a Toyota SUV. That's a direct insult to our nation! Did they really expect me to buy their products after insulting us?

On the same show, and sadly many others, the plot gets interrupted by inane discussions of a car's features. Really?!?!? I can and do change the channel and stop recording those shows.

I think that the rules of supply and demand will solve this problem for me.

Upvote 0
On the other side of the same coin, I'm constantly annoyed by seeing the normal badges that I expect to see on various products covered up inexpertly by black gaffer's tape. There is such a thing as going too far. :rolleyes:

On one particular show, "Bones", I really didn't like it when the FBI agent character's factually correct Chevrolet SUV was replaced with a Toyota SUV. That's a direct insult to our nation! Did they really expect me to buy their products after insulting us?

On the same show, and sadly many others, the plot gets interrupted by inane discussions of a car's features. Really?!?!? I can and do change the channel and stop recording those shows.

I think that the rules of supply and demand will solve this problem for me.

They meant to change the car in Breaking Bad but something went wrong....

Upvote 0

The BBC was always terrible for that, especially with Sony Trinitron TVs and monitors in Dr. Who and Blake's 7. They rarely disguised the fact that the TARDIS, Liberator or any alien spacecraft or technologies were using Sony TVs and monitors, they just obscured the name with gaffer's tape.

Sometimes you'd see it in popular soap operas, sitcoms and dramas as well in the UK, where a popular and obvious brand of dish washing detergent had the logo covered up with gaffer's tape. But it was still patently obvious they were using Fairy Liquid.

Upvote 0
The BBC was always terrible for that, especially with Sony Trinitron TVs and monitors in Dr. Who and Blake's 7. They rarely disguised the fact that the TARDIS, Liberator or any alien spacecraft or technologies were using Sony TVs and monitors, they just obscured the name with gaffer's tape.
Well now they're doing it here in the US...a LOT. The irony is that not too long ago, the long-standing FCC ban on showing the make or model of musical instruments was lifted. So now we can finally figure what kind of keyboard a band member is playing, but have to see a "black oval" on what's obviously a Ford. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Since the brands being covered up are pretty iconic, there's no mistaking whose design it is, I think the advertising company is shooting itself in the foot. Subconsciously I think "what's that sweet-looking car?" When I don't see the logo right away I look even longer, and pay a lot more attention to the product that they don't want me to be paying attention to!

In contrast, when the plot line suddenly turns into a TV commercial, I tend to: :rolleyes: :sleep:

If this kind of advertising really pays off, there must be a whole class of brainless consumers who just love a sales pitch. That's not natural!

Upvote 0
Since the brands being covered up are pretty iconic, there's no mistaking whose design it is, I think the advertising company is shooting itself in the foot. Subconsciously I think "what's that sweet-looking car?" When I don't see the logo right away I look even longer, and pay a lot more attention to the product that they don't want me to be paying attention to!

In contrast, when the plot line suddenly turns into a TV commercial, I tend to: :rolleyes: :sleep:

If this kind of advertising really pays off, there must be a whole class of brainless consumers who just love a sales pitch. That's not natural!

This is happening because TV commercials are not appealing anymore. Why? Smartphones. Everytime there is commercial we grab our phones and miss it all. They are looking for ways to avoid it.

I can not give you the source I got it from, because I read it more than half a year ago.

Upvote 0
Crazy is right. Some of them are such looney concepts that I won't even watch them once. But I got hooked on this one show about big rig repo men that includes a pair of geriatric hippies with maybe a half-dozen teeth between the two of them. Another team is a pair of guidos from Jersey who freak out at the idea of leaving the greater NYC metropolitan area. :laugh: I sure hope they're just acting!

Upvote 0
Boredom sets in at the peak of a product and its spinoffs.
There's a discussion on another forum about phone hardware reaching its peak, and now software will be the thing to sell the phone. I have a feeling that if that is the case, carriers will try to lock us in even more and make the apps exclusive.

Take a toaster - there isn't much else you can do with the thing. It's a box that browns bread. So you mess with the design. Every now and then we get an "aerodynamic" toaster, just for looks. I am not planning on launching it, so why should I buy it? Furniture is pretty much the same. Cars are evolving, but years ago it was the longest, plushiest car in the ads.

We have "Parade of Homes" to make buyers drool. Some of the stuff is nothing more than cosmetic and to get you to pay a premium price for it.

It's taking more of the "hit the consumer over the head" type of commercial to even get anyone's attention, and more drastic measures to make everyone want it.

(Unless it's a new phone. Iphone comes to mind, but we have plenty of posts here speculating and drooling over something new)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones