• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacement from Asurion

So my volume rocker randomly stopped working/broke this past weekend & I talked to my favorite Verizon rep & he directed me to Asurion.com. They're going to send me a replacement. Has anyone dealt with Asurion before? I've never even heard of it & I thought all replacements were through Verizon (But then again I've never had to replace my phone). But anyway, I'm almost positive it's just gonna be a refurb. Does anyone know if refurbs could have scratches or any kind of physical damage? And how does this whole process work with sending my phone back? Does the phone come with a new battery/sd card?
Thanks for any help :)

You will get the new phone and it will come with instructions on what to send back. It will be a refirb and it will cost you $90. If the refirb is messed up then IIRC you will have 14 days to contact Asurion again and they will replace it without a charge. Make sure to put the new phone thru any tests you can think of to make sure it is good.

With the volume rocker being messed up if you don't have any signs of physical damage to your phone I would expect VZW to exchange it for a refirb without any charge. Sounds like a warranty issue, in fact there is another guy here who is getting a warranty replacement for that exact issue.

Upvote 0
Why did you get sent to that company? I get a phone shipped to me and then I ship mine back (of course that's if I get a good refurb). Do you not have a line of credit with Verizon or does Verizon think that you broke your phone? I would call Verizon customer service and see if you can get a replacement sent out to you for free.

Upvote 0
most of the time, you're going to get just the phone itself. No battery, no back, no cards. You'll want to run all the backups you can on your old phone, then activate the new one, and re-load your stuff back in. You then send in your old phone back to them. They give you a week or two to get it done (with a decent grace period on top of it).

But yes, unless the rocker was physically broken and obviously so, then they should've replaced it under mfr warranty at no cost to you. If they charged you, it was replaced through Asurion. If not, it was through VZW's warranty services. Both of which are then warranted as well. You still have the balance of the mfr 1 year warranty, but if it's through Asurion, they also give you a warranty period on their replacements as well, in case it fails to meet expectations. Asurion brochures list that their replacements are backed by a 12 month warranty. Verizon replacements are given a 90-day warranty (or the balance of the factory warranty, whichever is longer) - Though if you have the Total Equipment Coverage, you have extended factory warranty throughout your plan anyway.

Upvote 0
Why did you get sent to that company? I get a phone shipped to me and then I ship mine back (of course that's if I get a good refurb). Do you not have a line of credit with Verizon or does Verizon think that you broke your phone? I would call Verizon customer service and see if you can get a replacement sent out to you for free.

The only time this would come into play, is if it's physically damaged, or something beyond a mfr warranty issue. Wouldn't matter line-of-credit on VZWs side for warranty replacements. Even if it was a factory defect, it'd be replaced free of charge if it was within the first year. Asurion is VZWs "insurance" carrier of choice for phone insurance. Other retailers offer their own versions of the same sort of thing.

Still agree though, they should've at least tried to replace it under VZW's mfr warranty period, unless the rocker was like, hanging out of the phone and looked like it had been attacked with a knife.

Upvote 0
You will get the new phone and it will come with instructions on what to send back. It will be a refirb and it will cost you $90. If the refirb is messed up then IIRC you will have 14 days to contact Asurion again and they will replace it without a charge. Make sure to put the new phone thru any tests you can think of to make sure it is good.

With the volume rocker being messed up if you don't have any signs of physical damage to your phone I would expect VZW to exchange it for a refirb without any charge. Sounds like a warranty issue, in fact there is another guy here who is getting a warranty replacement for that exact issue.

It was $99. Whenever I talked to Verizon customer service they directed me to asurion & I told them what happened.

Upvote 0

I tried getting them to send me one but they just sent me to asurion. I have insurance & I've been with Verizon for at least 5 years..
I'm guessing they think I broke it because are are scratches and nicks on my phone but everything was fine last week & then my rocker stopped working randomly. I wish I was getting a new one :/ but oh well.

Upvote 0
most of the time, you're going to get just the phone itself. No battery, no back, no cards. You'll want to run all the backups you can on your old phone, then activate the new one, and re-load your stuff back in. You then send in your old phone back to them. They give you a week or two to get it done (with a decent grace period on top of it).

But yes, unless the rocker was physically broken and obviously so, then they should've replaced it under mfr warranty at no cost to you. If they charged you, it was replaced through Asurion. If not, it was through VZW's warranty services. Both of which are then warranted as well. You still have the balance of the mfr 1 year warranty, but if it's through Asurion, they also give you a warranty period on their replacements as well, in case it fails to meet expectations. Asurion brochures list that their replacements are backed by a 12 month warranty. Verizon replacements are given a 90-day warranty (or the balance of the factory warranty, whichever is longer) - Though if you have the Total Equipment Coverage, you have extended factory warranty throughout your plan anyway.

They told me the phone comes with everything, battery, wall charger, SIM card, sd card.
The phone is on the UPS truck already in my town so I'm not sure I can really do anything about it now. I wish I would've known verizon should have done it for free.

Upvote 0
So you're paying $$ for a replacement phone and it's not even a new phone? Wow I'd be pissed.

This happens with Asurion, and 99% of the time, you end up with a not-new phone. Different retailers offer different insurance options, that have their own terms. It still is a ton cheaper than buying a phone outright, and most times, the replacement phones are fine, though obviously people have had replacement issues with the Bolt, but those were happening with both Asurion replacements and Verizon replacements.

Upvote 0
Well guys, even though I had to pay $99, I'm very happy. The whole application was so easy & the next day shipping is awesome. It went through shipping almost immediately after I got the confirmation email. & this was at 9pm too. It was in my town in a little more than 12 hours & was at my house by the guaranteed time (3pm). When I opened the UPS box the phone was in the box that you would get if you bought the new one in the store. I was expecting a crappy, dinged up phone, but I seriously think I got a brand new one. If it wasn't brand new I would be surprised. Not a thing wrong physically & smelled brand new too. There was a battery already inside it & the SD card. It also came with a brand new charger, ANOTHER new battery(2 batteries in total :D), a new SIM card, & all the booklets. I am super stoked & surprisingly completely happy with everything. Now when I have to send back it says not to send any batteries, sd cards, charger, accessories, ect. I now have 2 working chargers, two 36gb memory cards, three batteries, & two SIM cards. $99 well spent. I guess I just got lucky. :)

Upvote 0
Well guys, even though I had to pay $99, I'm very happy. The whole application was so easy & the next day shipping is awesome. It went through shipping almost immediately after I got the confirmation email. & this was at 9pm too. It was in my town in a little more than 12 hours & was at my house by the guaranteed time (3pm). When I opened the UPS box the phone was in the box that you would get if you bought the new one in the store. I was expecting a crappy, dinged up phone, but I seriously think I got a brand new one. If it wasn't brand new I would be surprised. Not a thing wrong physically & smelled brand new too. There was a battery already inside it & the SD card. It also came with a brand new charger, ANOTHER new battery(2 batteries in total :D), a new SIM card, & all the booklets. I am super stoked & surprisingly completely happy with everything. Now when I have to send back it says not to send any batteries, sd cards, charger, accessories, ect. I now have 2 working chargers, two 36gb memory cards, three batteries, & two SIM cards. $99 well spent. I guess I just got lucky. :)

It definitely sounds like you made out well. The only thing I'd be afraid of is you're told to keep the battery/SD card and accessories, and then in a few weeks you get a bill for those items. If I were you I'd keep everything that tells you to keep your old equipment and even then, it doesn't guarantee that they won't come back later.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones