• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Replacing AT&T Bloat For OTA Update?

Chromag

Jul 20, 2010
I've rooted my phone and used TitaniumBackup to remove the AT&T bloatware. I've also configured it for sideloading apps so I could load the SiriusXM app from their website.

Of course - now I can't get the OTA update. I just get the error where it says it's downloading, restarts the phone, says it's installing then reboots the phone again and says the update failed.

Maybe the OTA update is trying to update one of the bloatware apps and that's why it's failing? Or would removing the Superuser app (unrooting) and Busybox be enough to get the update?

Either way - because I deleted the apps using TitaniumBackup I have no backup (I know, I'm an idiot). I thought I did a TB backup before removing the apps but I have no idea where to look to restore them. They aren't listed in the app list when I click on Backup/Restore.

Just as an update - I reset my phone to factory defaults. Then, I unrooted my phone by removing the Superuser app. I also replaced the settings.db file with the original one that doesn't allow for sideloading. I tried to get the OTA update and it failed... yet again.

I also tried updating with Kies but for whatever reason Kies doesn't see my phone even though I have it set to prompt me when I plug the it into USB (and I select Kies).

Any other ideas how I can either:

1) Fix it so I can get the OTA update
2) Apply the update in some other fashion

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Just as an update - I reset my phone to factory defaults. Then, I unrooted my phone by removing the Superuser app. I also replaced the settings.db file with the original one that doesn't allow for sideloading. I tried to get the OTA update and it failed... yet again.

I also tried updating with Kies but for whatever reason Kies doesn't see my phone even though I have it set to prompt me when I plug the it into USB (and I select Kies).

Any other ideas how I can either:

1) Fix it so I can get the OTA update
2) Apply the update in some other fashion

Thanks.

Are you using Kies-mini?
If so, did you set your phone to Debug mode?

Upvote 0
Are you using Kies-mini?
If so, did you set your phone to Debug mode?
I tried the full Kies and that didn't work so I uninstalled it and installed mini. It wouldn't work in Kies mini. I uninstalled Kies mini and the Captivate driver I installed previously and reinstalled Kies again and it recognizes the phone.

Unfortunately when I click on Firmware Upgrade it says my phone doesn't support upgrading the firmware or something similar and the option is greyed out.

I'm currently trying out Odin to see if I can reset it back to stock. It's currently at "Files analysis..." so I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help.

UPDATE:

I did a full Odin clear and reset to stock based on the suggestion by Prim8. My phone now seems to be JUST like it was when I pulled it out of the box. Now when I do an OTA update it reboots to the white screen and gets to 50% then says "Update is failed" and reboots.

Trying Kies again now that's it is supposedly back to "stock".

UPDATE 2:

Not that anyone cares :p Anyways - now Kies does tell me an update is available for my phone! But when I tell it to upgrade, Kies crashes. Then I tried Kies MINI and I'm proud to say I am now running JH7!

Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones