• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Restoring Backups (switching between two ROMs)

Scottd9000

Nov 19, 2009
Purchased a NC Saturday. Had it rooted and flashed to Cyanogen7 in probably 20 mins. Love it so far. My question is what is the best way to manage backups on the NC. I made a back up right away after I got Cyanogen set up how I like it. But I also want a stock image (rooted) for my GF to use. On my Droids it's as easy as flashing a new ROM and backing it up. I tried this with a stock rooted ROM and the NC wouldn't boot... So I did the CWR image and removed it blah blah to finally get back to Cyanogen image. Am I doing something wrong or maybe just a bad image on the stock ROM? Thanks

After a hour of reading last night I think I figured it out. Cyanogen7 installs completely different compared to stock and many of the ROMs. I think my best bet is to flash back to stock and re-root, then build a Cyanogen7 SD card to boot to when I plug it in. I found several dual boot options but none of them work with Cyanogen7.

Upvote 0
After a hour of reading last night I think I figured it out. Cyanogen7 installs completely different compared to stock and many of the ROMs. I think my best bet is to flash back to stock and re-root, then build a Cyanogen7 SD card to boot to when I plug it in. I found several dual boot options but none of them work with Cyanogen7.

You probably don't have to redo all that. This is what I would suggest to try first.

1. Download new or "2nd" ROM and note where on SD card you saved it(downloads).

Do all of this within the CWM Recovery, its faster.
1. Boot into CWM recovery
2. Backup current ROM to SD
3. Wipe data/factory reset
4. Wipe cache partition
5. Install ZIP from SDCARD - browse to the "2nd" ROM you downloaded
6. reboot and enjoy new "2nd" ROM!

When you want to go back to the "1st" ROM its basically the same.

1. Boot into CWM recovery
2. Backup current ROM to SD
3. Wipe data/factory reset
4. Wipe cache partition
5. Backup and Restore - Restore your previous image
6. reboot and enjoy original "1st" ROM!

Upvote 0
Are you sure that will work with CM7 being one of the ROMS? I did almost exactly what your instructions say on Sunday and I came up with a unbootable NC. I guess it won't hurt to try it with another "2nd" ROM see if it changes anything. I found just a 1.1 rooted ROM and used that as my 2nd ROM (I just want the standard Nook App for my GF when she borrows the NC).

Upvote 0
Are you sure that will work with CM7 being one of the ROMS? I did almost exactly what your instructions say on Sunday and I came up with a unbootable NC. I guess it won't hurt to try it with another "2nd" ROM see if it changes anything. I found just a 1.1 rooted ROM and used that as my 2nd ROM (I just want the standard Nook App for my GF when she borrows the NC).

Are you sure you did factory data reset and cache partition wipe between each? This should erase any trace of the previous ROMs file system allowing to install another.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones