Returning my X for a TB, should I restore from nandroid or maderstcok?

1. mudking

mudking Well-Known Member

I have to go into Verizon in about 30 minutes, and I'm scrambling to get everything situated before I go. I am still running stock ROM. First thing I did after rooting was a nandroid backup. Can I just restore from that nandroid backup instead of having to use the maderstcok file? What do I need to remove after restoring? I will obviously have to uninstall z4root, but what else? Is busybox going to uninstall itself when I uninstall titanium backup? Or do I have to take it off separately. What all should I do? Hope someone will be able to answer here in time!!!

Advertisement
  2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

i would use maderstcok just to be safe! wipe data and cache, just to be safe!
  3. Metfanant

Metfanant Well-Known Member

if you maderstcok it will break root and it will be EXACTLY like it was when it came out of the box new...

i would...

- back up your sdcard contents to your PC
    - maderstcok the phone
    - factory reset
    - format the sdcard
    - DONE you should be exactly like a box fresh new phone

not only "safe" but probably the easiest way to do it anyways...
  4. mjd515

mjd515 Well-Known Member

just maderstock and than factory reset and you should be golden
  5. mjd515

mjd515 Well-Known Member

wow all at the same time o_O
  6. mudking

Yeah, wow all at the same time! And really fast! Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I hope some of the friendly folks here will also be over in the TB forum! I'm gonna miss my X even though we had such a short life together. :-(

I'm gonna go for maderstcok now. First time doing it, so I might have a question or two. Gonna start now!
  7. Metfanant

if you've ever installed a ROM or theme, its the same process...that is why it is recommended over other methods of returning the phone to stock
  8. mudking

I just barely got the phone 14 days ago, and it's my first android. I haven't even had it long enough to set time aside to flash a ROM before. So, this is my first time. It's going now, the progress bar is about 75% through.
  9. mudking

Ok it just finished. I'm back to the clockwork screen with green font. I am supposed to reboot now but there isn't a reboot option here. Do I need to reboot with the power button?

It says.. "apply update from zip file on SD card?"

Options are:
    -apply sdcard:update.zip
    -choose zip from sd card
    -toggle signature verification
    - toggle script asserts

I wanna pick "apply sdcard:update.zip", but rooolers guide specifically says to reboot here, and I don't wanna mess it up.
  10. Metfanant

click either the "back" hard button or the power button (just click it once)...

should bring you back a screen and reboot should be at the top of the list
  11. mudking

I was a jerk, and started another thread here:
    http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/305538-help-me-too-im-really-sorry.html

These folks are advising a wipe, which seems to be advisable, but I don't know which wipe to do. I wish I knew I was gonna be doing this yesterday, would have been great to have all night to figure it out!
  12. mudking

Thanks for all the help here earlier. I was really scared that I was going to make a mistake right before I had to take the phone in. Between this and my other panic thread, I got it all figured out. The instructions I found weren't quite as precise in the directions as I thought they were. I didn't realize there were some details I didn't understand until I actually tried it for the first time. Thanks to the help here, I was able to get through it. And now I'm off the the TB forum! Thanks so much!
  13. darkcyber

darkcyber Well-Known Member

Well, at least come back and let us know how you like the TB :)
  14. allambition

allambition Well-Known Member

You should definitely go back to maderstcok just to be safe rather than sorry... its kinda the same way I update my Captivate as well going back to stock ROM first before going forward to the newest version of whatever custom ROM you are upgrading to. Backward then forward :)
  15. mudking

Update: So far, I love it. Battery life is an issue, but nothing that I can't deal with. It's a fair trade off for the speed, I think. Just got it rooted last night, so I am finally putting all my apps and data back on. I would have been happy with the X for 2 years, but I'm extremely glad I decided to get the TB.