• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Review of DUNU Titan 3 and Titan 5 IEMs with removable cable w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of DUNU Titan 3 and Titan 5 IEMs with removable cable. http://www.dunu-topsound.com/2015.html

Just a few months back when I was reviewing DUNU’s DN2000J hybrid, I made a comment about how soon they released an update to their flagship IEM. If you thought that was fast, wait till you hear about the whole new line of Titans and DN/DK multi-driver hybrids they announced at 22nd Beijing International HiFi Exhibition last month. And it gets even better since it should be available soon. At this high rate of new releases, I’m afraid that DUNU will have to change their name from Delicate Unique & Utmost to DUNUS - Delicate Unique Utmost & Superfast!!! But make no mistake, while some other companies rush out their releases by cutting corners in either design or sound quality, DUNU came out swinging with more high quality hits. For now I only got a chance to test and to review their new Titan 3 and Titan 5, but considering their track record I have a feeling their upcoming multi-driver DN/DK series hybrids will be as impressive.

The Titan 1 (T1) was the first in this series of their titanium dynamic drivers housed in a metal injection molded stainless steel construction that resembled a disc shaped earbuds with an attached IEM nozzle. I remember listening to T1 in disbelief of how a single dynamic driver could sound like a high res hybrid, and how impressive soundstage expansion was thanks to their “semi-open” design filled with a lot of air-vents. These IEMs, and their FiiO EX1 version, were great, but perhaps not for everybody who requires a better isolation with minimum sound leakage and maybe a smoother upper frequencies rendition. DUNU took all the feedback into account, including a wish for removable cables, and incorporated all these changes in their new versions of Titan 3 (T3) and Titan 5 (T5) I would like to share with you about. Due to nearly identical packaging, accessories, and design – that part of the review going to be combined, while sound analysis and comparison to other IEMs will be split accordingly.

For those familiar with T1 or any other DUNU products you know they never disappoint when it comes to their packaging. You can sense a lot of pride in how headphones are being presented under the magnetic flip covers you open like a book. There is also a lot of info about the product itself on the cover, under the cover, and on the back of the packaging to give you the whole "story" behind the design and what to expect inside. The packaging of T3 and T5, including all the accessories, is nearly identical to the original T1, down to Max Barsky insert info. Either way, this is a premium packaging with a rewarding unboxing experience.

Unboxing.

dunu_t3_t5-01_zpshzi5ueaz.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-02_zpsbrnf3hn3.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-03_zpsqamfez18.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-04_zpsh2qkne8x.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-05_zps96h08h8k.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-06_zpsanp92c7r.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-07_zpsmk9ig9ro.jpg

Continuing with more similarities to the original T1, you will find a plethora of accessories (identical with both T3 and T5) - something DUNU is well known for as well. You get 2 sets of S/M/L hybrid eartips with a similar medium bore opening of an inner stem and a different degree of cap springiness between two sets. Selection of the correct eartip size to ensure a perfect ear canal seal is very important with any IEM, and Titan series is no exception. In addition, you get 1/4 adapter which comes handy if you are dealing with desktop dacs/amps or ColorFly daps, a shirt clip (not sure if it's really necessary), and a case. There was also an extra set of medium size eartips but only used for display setting, keeping T3/T5 wedged in their form fitted tray.

Typically DUNU likes to distinguish their flagship models with extra accessories, like in DN2kJ, but in case of Titans it was just an essential selection. As usual, you can always count on a custom case which is the exact one used with T1. IEMs usually use a storage pouch or a generic round zippered hardshell case, while here it’s a custom rectangular hard body case, though considering build quality of Titans some might argue it's not even necessary. I would have preferred a slightly bigger case box to make sure you don't pinch a cable when closing it, but either way it's a nice case to slip in your pocket.

Accessories.

dunu_t3_t5-08_zpspallvkpi.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-09_zpsdkclkpsi.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-10_zpsiod75cwr.jpg

Looking closer into the design starting with a cable, you are not going to find any shocking surprises, at least not until you get closer to the shell. Starting with a right angled gold plated connector, you will find DUNU's signature headphone plug with a great rubbery strain relief and easy to grip metal housing. You will also find their "signature" rubber flap attached to the chord that wraps around the cable for easier storage. The cable is soft and flexible with a smooth round rubbery jacket going up to a small cylindrical y-splitter capsule. Y-splitter has strain relief on a common side and a chin slider that stores right into the capsule from a split side. To avoid microphonics, cables going up to the shell have a rubbery jacket which feels slightly hollowed, not as noticeable as in their flagship DN2kJ but I can still feel it.

Right at the end of the cable you have a nice strain relief and a modified mmcx connector. Having a removable cable is always a plus, but I’m puzzled by DUNU’s decision to use a non-standard mmcx connector. This is a bit of a deja vu from the days when VSonic VSD3/3S was introduced, and coincidentally DUNU uses a similar modified mmcx connector. I noticed that VSD3/3S female part of the connector inside of the shell was not as deep as the one used in T3/T5. As a result, you can’t use VSonic stock cable, but you can use other replacement cables made for VSonic IEMs. I still have a few pairs of silver-plated Lunashops VSD3/3S replacement cables, and they fit T3/T5 perfectly while also offering a level of sound improvement. So the bad news is that you can’t use your Shure, Westone, UE, and other universal mmcx connector cables with T3/T5, but the good news is that you can still find a higher quality replacement cables.

The design of the shell itself is nearly identical to the original T1 with an exception of having only single air-vent pinhole vs 11 air vents found in T1. I still find the shell to look like a piece of art with its stainless "surgical" steel finish. Even though it doesn't have a color-coded accent ring similar to T1, you will find a clearly marked L/R label inside of the shell and on the boot of the cable connector. When looking from the back you can mistake T3/T5 for a typical earbud design, but once you flip it over - you will see a short angled nozzle. Nozzle is similar to the original T1 with 7 opening holes. Though Titans have a little bit of heft to them, they feel very comfortable inside of your ear, and I actually developed some kind of a fetish to a cold metal touch lol!!! Also, due to reduced amount of air vents, isolation now is perfect, but you will sacrifice airiness and expansion associated with the original "semi-open" design.

When it comes to fitment, T3/T5 were obviously designed to be worn wire down, and with a right selection of eartips they stay secure even when you actively move around. If you prefer over the ear fitment for additional security, you can do that by unplugging and flipping L/R shells since a nozzle angle will feel uncomfortable otherwise. This is one of the advantages of removable cable where you can still maintain the correct wiring of left/right channels since the cable doesn’t have to stay with earpieces when you flip them.

Design details.

dunu_t3_t5-11_zpse8bmstcw.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-12_zpskxovhrra.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-13_zpsni21gpqn.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-14_zpsoroo2qju.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-15_zpsox4bhu1y.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-16_zpsqwqshlon.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-17_zps1cfwyegr.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-18_zpsqhcgbyko.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-19_zpst2zuswti.jpg

dunu_t3_t5-20_zpssweiykng.jpg

Fitment.

dunu_t3_t5-22_zpst84vzdno.jpg

Sound analysis.

Now we are up to a sound analysis, and this is where all similarities end. While I found T3/T5 to look like an identical twins from outside, they actually pack a distinct personality with a unique sound signature. Considering dynamic nature of the drivers, I put both of these IEMs through 50 hours of burn in where I noticed a sound change within first 10 hours before it stabilized. Afterwards, I have been listening to these IEMs for over a week, and here is what I hear.

T3 has a slightly mid-forward signature, neutral extended low end going down to a modest sub-bass rumble and a fast punchy mid-bass - probably among the best balanced low end performances I have heard in IEM where I don't mind quantity close to a neutral fun level. There is absolutely no bleed or spillage into lower mids. Mids are slightly forward with a leaner lower mids where you still have plenty of convincing body, and detailed upper mids with an impressive level of revealing clarity wrapped in a blanket of smoothness. Treble is nicely extended, crisp, airy, and tuned to avoid all the harsh peaks. Sound is bright but not sibilant or harsh; relative to T1 I definitely hear less upper frequency peaks or metallic sheen. Soundstage has above average width/depth, and just an average height. Also, it has an excellent layering and separation of the sound which never feels congested. Vocals are a bit less organic due to brighter sound signature, but still have a rare combination of smooth revealing timbre.

T5 has v-shaped signature (maybe even closer to u-shaped), with a deep extended bass that has a nice sub-bass rumble and moderately fast elevated mid-bass hump, where the bass spills a little bit into lower mids to add warmth and body to a sound. Bass in T5 has both quality and quantity, and not necessary super aggressive or overly articulate. Mids are definitely scooped but not to an extreme, where you get a full body warm lower mids and a clear smooth upper mids (definitely smoother than T3), and extended crisp treble, though a little less airiness than T3. There is no sibilance or harshness, just a detailed sound with an elevated low end impact that doesn't overpowers too much the rest of the spectrum. Similar to T3, soundstage has above average width/depth, and not as much height. Layering and separation is just ok due to elevated low end and scooped mids, where I sense it can get a little congested in some tracks. But the sound is more organic and smoother.

To summarize T3 vs T5 comparison, they have a very similar soundstage. T3 has a more articulate and a better controlled neutral bass while T5 has a bit looser and a more elevated low end. T3 mids are slightly more forward, bright, and detailed, while T5 mids are going in the opposite direction while being more scooped, warmer, and smoother. Treble is similar with the same level of crisp well defined sound, but T3 is a little brighter and with more airiness. Also, T3 has better layering and separation of sounds while T5 felt a little congested in comparison.

Also, neither T3 nor T5 require amping, it pairs up great with any source, and also surprisingly not very picky about audio file quality.

Another thing I wanted to point out is the effect of the replacement cable. I already mentioned before that T3/T5 uses non-standard mmcx connectors, similar to VSonic VSD3/3S IEMs. Though I wasn't able to use VSonic cables, I had no issue with their replacement silver-plated cables from Lunashops. With that cable sound quality did scale up, and it was actually noticeable.

In T3 with silver-plated cable bass quality goes up and becomes tighter, better controlled, more articulate, though not exactly night'n'day difference but more like a refinement. In addition to an improvement in low end, upper mids became a bit more balanced, more transparent, and more detailed, almost like a faint layer of veil was lifted off, but sound was still under control without crossing sibilance level. The stock cable feels smoother and warmer in comparison.

In T5 with silver-plated cable bass became boomier and a bit overwhelming. Mids improved slightly, also with more transparency and more details, but overall it was not the best pair up since the bass sound quantity changed, becoming too exaggerated for my personal taste.

dunu_t3_t5-21_zpsk5tc1izk.jpg

In comparison to other headphones, here is what I found.

- T5 comparison -

T5 vs VSD3S - nearly identical bass slam with a similar sub-bass extension and mid-bass punch, lower mids are very similar as well, but upper mids in VSD3S are a bit higher in quantity while T5 mids are more detailed. Treble in T5 is brighter with a better extension and crispier.

T5 vs IM50 - very similar sub-bass extension while IM50 mid-bass is faster and more elevated and overall the low end is a bit more articulate. Lower mids in IM50 are thinner and upper mids are not as detailed and a little smoother, treble in IM50 is not as crisp or airy, and not as extended as T5.

T5 vs CKR10 - CKR10 has less sub-bass and faster mid-bass punch, low end is tighter and more articulate, lower mids are leaner and brighter, upper mids are more balanced and more upfront, treble is very similar.

T5 vs AD01 - AD01 sub-bass is deeper, mid-bass has higher quantity and bleeds more into lower mids, mids are similarly scooped, while T5 mids are more detailed and a littler leaner, T5 treble extension is better, brighter, and with more airiness.

T5 vs A73 - A73 has a more noticeable low end slam, especially in mid-bass region, mids are a little more recessed and not as detailed as T5, A73 mids have more body and smoother, and treble is not as extended or as crisp as T5.

- T3 comparison -

T3 vs E80 - very similar neutral quality low end, but T3 has a little more rumble, E80 mids are a little smoother and a little less in quantity when compared to T3, and also not as revealing. Treble is very similar, though T3 has a slight advantage with a bit more airiness and better definition.

T3 vs UE600 - very similar neutral low end quality and quantity, UE mids are more balanced and a bit smoother but not as natural. Treble has a similar extension but a touch less brightness and not as crisp. T3 also has a better layering/separation.

T3 vs RE600 - similar neutral bass quantity, while RE600 low end is a little tighter and more articulate, mids are more balanced, smoother, and not as detailed/revealing. RE600 treble doesn't extend as far and not as bright and crisp as T3

T3 vs DN2kJ - low end has a similar quantity, but DN2kJ bass is tighter, more articulate, and under better control. Mids are not as mid-forward in DN and slightly more detailed/revealing. Treble is similar, but has a little better definition and slightly more airiness. But overall, T3 is strikingly similar to DN2kJ, like a scaled down and less refined version.

Conclusion.

I really didn’t know what to expect when I received Titan 3 and Titan 5 for review. A lot of companies, DUNU including, use model numbers to indicate number of drivers or significant design changes. Here I found that the index of the model number indicates a different tuning, while the design remained the same. As a matter of fact, if there wouldn’t be “3” and “5” on the back of the shell, I wouldn’t even be able to tell them apart just by looking at it. But it’s a whole different story when you put them in your ears. Personally, I found Titan 3 to be exactly my cup of tea. Hard to believe that I’m turning my back on a more bass-heavy Titan 5, but I honestly felt in love with Titan 3 tuning. I was already in love with DUNU Titan design, and Titan 3 sound signature just sealed the deal for me. I'm still on a fence about the removable cable. Without a doubt it’s a great idea which allowed me to test Titans with replacement silver-plated cables, but lack of a standard mmcx connector makes it less appealing for those who already have a collection of Westone/Shure/UE cables. But regardless of that, I’m very impressed that DUNU listened to their customers to implement better sound isolation, option to upgrade cables, and a detailed sound signature without crossing over threshold of harshness. If you want a more neutral detailed signature – go with Titan 3, and if you fancy more bass impact and v-shaped fun signature – go for Titan 5.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones