• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review of some apps

JoshShepherd

Jun 7, 2012
Just thought I'd write a short review for the apps I have for my Samsung Galaxy Note:

Facebook:
Not gonna do a big review as I'm sure everybody has it. Great interface, has everything you need and is pretty much the exact same as the desktop version. Excellent app the only problem I'v had is when posting on a group's wall it seems to crash but could just be my phone.

Rating 5/5

Opera Mobile:
Heard many people saying this is the best browser but for me it's average. It has positives like it's speed, how it's set out and I like how you can press a button and it'll zoom out for you to it's original state (Makes it easier and quicker than pinch zooming back to how you had it). Another bonus is it has Flash which you can enable in Settings along with other features like 'Desktop' if you wan't the full experience of the website and the page zoom option. The thing I was disappointed on is when writing on forums like this it started the message halfway down the page (so it seems until you close the keyboard and then it'll go to the top), slightly confusing and ugly. Another bad experience whilst on these forums was I was unable to edit my post properly. Numerous times I clicked edit, changed what I needed to and then clicked done and it stayed the same? Might not do that for everyone but it was annoying and I had to make another post under my original. For me I'm not a big fan of the browser but there's no question it's probably the best out there right now.

Rating: 4/5

New Star Soccer:
Having played this game since NSS1 I'v always loved it and was excited about the mobile version. For those who don't know about it it's basically a mix between Sims and a football game. You have to live your life, keep relationships high between your team, fans, boss, sponsors, girlfriend as well as buying nice clothes, houses, cars and performing well on the pitch. It's a dream game for football lovers, yes very simple but extremely good.

Rating: 5/5

Football Manager 12:
Had the series for the past 8 years and I was pleasantly pleased with the mobile version. Having not played it before I wasn't sure what to expect but it's quite good. Now it's never going to be that detailed like the PC version but it takes enough from it to make it a fun mobile game. You have tactics, training, line-ups, transfer market, scouting as well as the Individual Player tactics and more. It's not perfect and I'd like to see more options such as 'Key' moments when watching a match as I feel I miss out on lots and I'd like to see the option 'Control' in team tactics but it's a game that will take up hours of fun.

Whatsapp:
Most of you will know about Whatsapp, the best cross platform communication app IMO. It has a nice layout, you can add a picture of yourself, update a status and send pictures, files ect to your friends via it. It's quick and I haven't had any problems with it up to now. My latest phone was a Blackberry Torch and I can safely say this is as good as BBM, a must have.

Rating 5/5

eBay:
Having come from Blackberry this app could only get better and it sure did. It has everything you need, a nice clean interface and is very quick and fluent.

Rating: 5/5

Flashlight:
Got to love a flash light! This app is excellent as it gives you different flash light options such as Strobe lights, police lights and others. Of course it has the standard one which will act as a torch and shines through your camera and it's very bright. All in all a fun app and worth having especially for at night when you lose something and cant be bothered to turn the light on haha!

Rating 4.5/5

Netflix:
I'v had this on my laptop for the past month and loved it. It streams really well on my phone and with my screen size it takes it to the next level. It has some great movies and TV programs on such as the whole Prison Break series and quite a lot of movies from 2011/2012. The only let down for me is it needs more newer ones, if it could keep up to date it would be the perfect app.

Colors:
Had this for my HTC Sensation and loved it. Basically it's block colours that you can use for your backgrounds. It has hundreds of colours, maybe thousands and it's great for if like me you don't like pictures as your background. Excellent app and has no faults.

Rating 5/5

Sky Sports SC:
A must have app for all football fans. Just like the PC version it keeps you up to date with all the live scores around the world. Really don't need to say much more as I'm sure if you like football you have this. Excellent and has no faults, well none that I'v found anyway.

Rating 5/5

Sky Sports News:
Basically an app which keeps you up to date with all the sporting news around the world. It seems to be updated regularly and it's great as I usually go onto the BBC Sport website but with this app there's no need. Will tell you most things that you need to know related to football, F1, Cricket and others. Worth having even if you just check once a day to see what's going on.

Rating 4.5/5

Gtunes Music:
Basically it's an app where you can search for music and then it'll go into Your Music. I'v searched some of the latest songs and it seems to have them (I did search for chart music) so not sure of how many genres it actually has but for me it's good. When 'Previewing' it seems to take it's time but when you download it's done within a matter of seconds. Good quality on the songs as well and plays like you've downloaded them from iTunes ect.

Rating 4/5

Google Chrome BETA:
Really looked forward to getting this app as I use Chrome on my laptop. For me this will be head and shoulders above Opera Mobile once the full version is released. The interface is nice and clean, the way you use your tabs is excellent and it's really quick. The main problems right now is it doesn't support Flash, there's no Desktop view and you can't view it in full screen. I'm sure once these are sorted most will be moving over to this. Potentially it's 5/5 but right now it's a..

Rating 4/5

Hotmail:
Not much to say as I haven't used it too much yet but it seems quite good. You can have multiple accounts set up on it in which you can view them separately or all at once. I was a bit confused a first to if I had read my emails or if they where unread as they seem to be lit up but you'll soon find out if you have an unread message it'll have a great background on it. Lots of settings for it also with the size of emails you will allow and others. The biggest let down for me is every time I want to view the email in full I have the click 'Show Images', it would be nice if there was an option like Desktop view in which it would show the whole thing.

National Rail:
Would die without this app! Excellent app which allows you to check train times, live boards and others. The interface on it is great and easy to use and seems reliable so far thank god.

Rating 5/5

Draw Free:
Has nothing on the iPhone version but is quite fun. Only has 900 words to draw so if you've done them all it's tedious. Some words are also stupid and impossible to draw but none the less it's quite fun and I guess can become quite addictive.

Rating 3.5/5

Having used this on my Sensation I was bitterly disappointed at the quality and lag of it but on my note it's excellent. I'v only tested it with my misses being on a PC and me on my phone but the quality of the video calling was great, didn't seem to lag and the call quality was quite good. Still not perfect but it's very good right now and can become just as good as the PC version.

Rating 4/5

Antivirus:
I'v always had this app but never quite knew if it worked. It always scans the apps once downloaded but I'v never had it come back and say there's a virus so I guess it's working. Hard app to rate as I said It could be doing an excellent job or it could be doing nothing and allowing virus's to come. I'll rate it on what I think it's doing which is a good job.

Rating 4/5

Other Apps I have but haven't really used:
Ice Age Village
Dropbox

Can anybody else recommend any good apps for me?

Can anybody also help me with the Social Hub and Facebook? The Facebook app works but when trying to link Facebook to my phone I enter the correct information every time and it say's log-in information is wrong.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones