• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reviewers are mostly bashers!!!!

Absolutely right.

The iPhone has a very broad appeal to users of all levels - but if you happen to want/need something outside the nailed-down Apple ecoshere (or just don't happen to like the UI) then it's a non-starter.

Android is much more malleable and can be adjusted to fit the user, unlike Apple's "one size fits all" approach.

The iPhone 6 camera is indeed rated very highly indeed by serious photographic testers and is certainly better than anything any current Android phone can offer. Credit where it's due.

Upvote 0
Are people seriously rating the iPhone's camera highly, including serious photographers who would probably take a DSLR over a smartphone camera any day of the week? has anyone forgotten that the iPhone 6 camera much like its previous generations has far less MP and still suffers the purple haze bug?

Yes they are rating it highly. And whats more funny than that is when they compare it to the S5 there is improvement on the S6 but you can still see the photos are still very pixilated.

And what's even a bigger laugh is when they compare it to the higher end Androids out there. You can tell that these people are just taking the Android camera, opening the app up, and shooting. Not adjusting the settings or anything. But they make sure to point out the "new" settings the apple has and which have been adjusted. Which these so called new settings, Android has already had for a while now.

Anyone who takes truly professional photos knows there is no such thing as click and shoot shot. If available there are settings and adjustments that are required.

Who knows maybe these people doing a camera comparison just don't know enough about the Androids to know the settings exist. Or maybe they don't care to do an honest comparison. If I was an apple fanatic I'd go with the second, and not care to display the full capabilities of the Android.

Upvote 0
honestly the iPhone camera is inferior to even a budget flip phone's camera. didn't they just get to 5MP? it took them four generations to even give it an LED Flash!

The purple haze issue still persists, too. no features like laser auto focus, or optical image stabilization. nothing.

Don't mean to correct you but they actually got up to a whopping 8MP camera. Impressive for Apple I guess. But that's poor for the market.

Without dissing another maker, but have to mention is the htc one models. They had a 4MP camera with additional support to help increase the quality. But it just couldn't cut it with others using 13MP and up.
That's why the htc one line up is switching to a higher MP camera in there flag ship phone's.

Even BlackBerry passport is getting higher camera ratings then the IPhone 6 models. That's kind of sad.

Upvote 0
Personally my purchase of a smartphone has nothing to do with its camera. I probably use the tiny little thing once a year to capture photos of a friend's pet deer I visit, and that's it. he's so docile it's not that I need all that gobbledygook like OIS and Laser Auto Focus or high MP counts. I was perfectly happy with the Sony Mavica I used to take a photo of a sweet doe (one of thee first deer I ever knew) and it had HALF a MegaPixel and a floppy disk for storage. I still have a photo of her at home and it's still a decent quality.

It's not like i'm going to take shots of a NASCAR race or sports plays where high image quality and stabilizations matter. my purchase of a smartphone has more to do with how good is the battery life throughout the day? how fluid is the UI? does it lag? does it run stable or reboot itself a few times a day?

But that won't stop me from telling things how it is. the iPhone camera is and has been inferior to anything Android has had since 2009. I had an iPhone up to the 4 and I am well aware of not only the lag for the camera app to initially load up (it did this weird aperture opening animation which i'm convinced was there to hide how long it actually took to load the app up, covering up any lag--and things like this happened all across Apple's apps so they got the view from fans that they are lag-free) and then took another second or two to auto-focus before it would take a photo. if this had been a winning finish from your favorite NASCAR driver or a touchdown play from your favorite Football player you'd have missed it by then.

Upvote 0
Sounds like envy.

But it won't make the iPhone cameras worse than they are, which is better than practically all their competition except maybe a Nokia Flagship or two.

With 8MP, Bigger Pixels in the Sensor (1.5um vs. 1.12um (GS5) is quite a big disparity), Phase Detect AF (and OIS in the 6 Plus), a better ISP and much better imaging algorithms it outperforms practically every other phone on the market in the camera department.

Don't rag on Apple. Tell the Android OEMs to get better and work on their software and stop throwing more tiny pixels into their smaller sensors and thinking people who actually care about the quality of the images their smartphones produce will buy it.

It makes a difference.

Upvote 0
Sounds like envy.

But it won't make the iPhone cameras worse than they are, which is better than practically all their competition except maybe a Nokia Flagship or two.

With 8MP, Bigger Pixels in the Sensor (1.5um vs. 1.12um (GS5) is quite a big disparity), Phase Detect AF (and OIS in the 6 Plus), a better ISP and much better imaging algorithms it outperforms practically every other phone on the market in the camera department.

Don't rag on Apple. Tell the Android OEMs to get better and work on their software and stop throwing more tiny pixels into their smaller sensors and thinking people who actually care about the quality of the images their smartphones produce will buy it.

It makes a difference.

Like I said it makes a difference compared to what they used to have in the 5. But it still lacks compared to the over all market. My old S4 produces better pictures then the iPhone 6s. And that's when there side by side. Taking the same shot, adjusting the settings for both phones, finding the best picture.

So to say it sounds like envy..... I could do nothing more but laugh at my friend who paid more for a name then I did for a product. Especially since they returned the iphone 6s and picked up an Android days later.

Now on apples defense my other friend returned the Android and picked up the iPhone. After asking them why? They said, "Even though I like the Android more, it's to complicated to use for me and the apple is more simplex to use." and they're not that techy so I give them that one.

Upvote 0
did they ever ditch the whole lag the camera app takes to open? let's assume you're at a major sporting event. you suddenly see a great play coming and you want to capture it but you need to do it very quickly. how long do you have? seconds? you need to immediately snap the picture clearly. the time it took for the iPhone 4 and 5 to open the camera app was insanely long. not many would have the app running all the time as it would eat the battery up very fast and chew through resources.

I got rid of everything Apple since I couldn't stand iOS 7 much less iOS 8. what I loved about iOS was gone completely in that hideous look they came out with. I have no idea if they ever got rid of the animation to hide the lag and made the app faster to open and improve auto focus time.

However there are reports of the purple haze issue still being common. I think that was partly due to the type of lens crystal they used?

Upvote 0
iPhone users usually fall into two categories from my experience, the fanboy who can sometimes be tech-savvy and the average user who has no technical knowledge and bought it simply because of the brand.

The same could be said of most Android users, or indeed any smartphone user. Visit enthusiast sites like this however, and you'll find plenty of tech-savvy and knowledgeable Apple users.

The latter can be reeducated easily enough, the fanboy is beyond help. :D
Spoken like a true Android fanboy. :rolleyes:

Are people seriously rating the iPhone's camera highly, including serious photographers who would probably take a DSLR over a smartphone camera any day of the week?

Yes. I know my way around a digital camera, and having played with the iP6 I "seriously rate it". Why? Because it captures very good images.

has anyone forgotten that the iPhone 6 camera much like its previous generations has far less MP and still suffers the purple haze bug?
It has 8 million photo sites (or "pixels" in common parlance), which is more than adequate to print onto at least A2 stock without loss of detail if you're so inclined. Viewed on the phone or a 24" IPS monitor they are sharp and vibrant. I've also not seen, nor had any customer complaints, about any "purple haze bug".

you can still see the photos are still very pixilated.

It is only "pixelated" if you zoom in beyond the native resolution, which happens to any digitial image. Viewed at full res I've noticed no such artifacts in three different demo examples of the iP6.

And what's even a bigger laugh is when they compare it to the higher end Androids out there.
It stands up just fine to most of the "higher-end Androids" imho. The physical size of the images may not be as large, but the captured detail, colour accuracy and image quality are just as good.

You can tell that these people are just taking the Android camera, opening the app up, and shooting. Not adjusting the settings or anything.
That's how probably 75% or more images are captured... spur-of-the-moment snapshots. If the camera element of a smartphone requires manual intervention to gain good results then it's a failure. The default AUTO settings are what most users stick to.

Anyone who takes truly professional photos knows there is no such thing as click and shoot shot.
Of course there is. My full-frame dSLR captures perfectly acceptable images in point-and-shoot Program mode. Are they as good as full manual using an external light meter, careful selective focus and a tripod? Of course not, but the latter takes time whereas the former is capable of capturing that fleeting moment instantly.

honestly the iPhone camera is inferior to even a budget flip phone's camera.

No it's not, as is obvious when you use it.

The purple haze issue still persists, too.
I've yet to hear a customer complain about it.

no features like laser auto focus
That's not exactly widespread amongst Androids outside the Samsung S5, is it? Sony, who make quite a few cameras, haven't seen fit to incorporate it for example.

or optical image stabilization. nothing.
The iP6 Plus has OIS.

Personally my purchase of a smartphone has nothing to do with its camera.

Then why comment on the camera features?

But that won't stop me from telling things how it is.
Based on your experience with an iPhone 4??? Things have moved on a bit since then. :)

did they ever ditch the whole lag the camera app takes to open?

Yes.

Upvote 0
The same could be said of most Android users, or indeed any smartphone user. Visit enthusiast sites like this however, and you'll find plenty of tech-savvy and knowledgeable Apple users.

Spoken like a true Android fanboy. :rolleyes:

Yes. I know my way around a digital camera, and having played with the iP6 I "seriously rate it". Why? Because it captures very good images.

It has 8 million photo sites (or "pixels" in common parlance), which is more than adequate to print onto at least A2 stock without loss of detail if you're so inclined. Viewed on the phone or a 24" IPS monitor they are sharp and vibrant. I've also not seen, nor had any customer complaints, about any "purple haze bug".

It is only "pixelated" if you zoom in beyond the native resolution, which happens to any digitial image. Viewed at full res I've noticed no such artifacts in three different demo examples of the iP6.

It stands up just fine to most of the "higher-end Androids" imho. The physical size of the images may not be as large, but the captured detail, colour accuracy and image quality are just as good.

That's how probably 75% or more images are captured... spur-of-the-moment snapshots. If the camera element of a smartphone requires manual intervention to gain good results then it's a failure. The default AUTO settings are what most users stick to.

Of course there is. My full-frame dSLR captures perfectly acceptable images in point-and-shoot Program mode. Are they as good as full manual using an external light meter, careful selective focus and a tripod? Of course not, but the latter takes time whereas the former is capable of capturing that fleeting moment instantly.

No it's not, as is obvious when you use it.

I've yet to hear a customer complain about it.

That's not exactly widespread amongst Androids outside the Samsung S5, is it? Sony, who make quite a few cameras, haven't seen fit to incorporate it for example.

The iP6 Plus has OIS.

Then why comment on the camera features?

Based on your experience with an iPhone 4??? Things have moved on a bit since then. :)

Yes.

Spoken like a true apple junkie.

Upvote 0
You know what they say about assumptions.... I've never owned an Apple device, and am perfectly content with my current (fourth) Android handset.

Nope never have heard what they say about assumptions. But they're just as good as opinions.

Let me correct my self, like the good old AnonGuy says......
Sounds like envy.....

Sounds like you should invest in an Apple.

Or better yet do you have those facts in the laundry list of things you mentioned. I'm surly not the only one on here who would like to know.

And by the way, when did this thread or website become known for DSLR cameras? Does anyone know, did I miss something?

Upvote 0
Let me correct my self, like the good old AnonGuy says......
Sounds like envy.....

Because I don't follow the flock and blindly bash The Opposition? Sorry, but I've got a mind of my own.

Sounds like you should invest in an Apple.

Nope, like I said I'm quite happy with my long-term investment in Android.

Or better yet do you have those facts in the laundry list of things you mentioned. I'm surly not the only one on here who would like to know.

What would you like to know, specifically?

And by the way, when did this thread or website become known for DSLR cameras? Does anyone know, did I miss something?

Your own comment, perhaps?

Anyone who takes truly professional photos knows there is no such thing as click and shoot shot

Most professional photographers use a dSLR, and even the very highest-end dSLR still has a "point-and-click" mode included. Presumably there's enough of a demand for such a thing from the intended customers for it to be included.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones