• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Revised] Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.5 Dummies Guide

C:\Users\MEEE\Documents\android-sdk_r12-windows\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
$ su
su
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
/sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory
# /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
/data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
# chmod 755 /data/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/flash_image

I'm very confused, particularly about the flash_image > /data/flash_image part.
It keeps saying there is no such file or directory, no matter what I do. I read all of the comments here and something was said about uninstalling HTC Sync, so I uninstalled it and tried again. Then the daemon started running, so I took that as a good sign.

I know Captain's guide is for advanced users, but I'm gonna go ahead and call myself a beginner here. I have no clue what flash_image is or what I'm doing with it. All I know is it's not doing what it did in Captain's guide, and that makes me feel like I shouldn't continue.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong here?
According to the error, "flash_image" does not exist on the sdcard. Did you unzip the flash_image.zip file, and extract "flash_image" to the root of the sd card? It appears that file is missing, and without that, the process won't work. That, and as ocn said, you must submit the commands in the proper order, once the files are in the right place.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Both files are in the exact same spot, sitting right next to each other. I've replaced the flash_image file a few times because I've been trying to get it working, but it's never been in any folders on the sdcard. Just that first directory. I can send screenshots or something if ya want..

And woops about the order x_x
I hope that doesn't screw anything up.

Upvote 0
Both files are in the exact same spot, sitting right next to each other. I've replaced the flash_image file a few times because I've been trying to get it working, but it's never been in any folders on the sdcard. Just that first directory. I can send screenshots or something if ya want..

ok but are the files extracted? they need to be unzipped. also what size card are you using?

Upvote 0

A screenshot couldn't hurt. It might help us figure out what's going on.

Upvote 0
Ok, here's where the files are: http://i.imgur.com/zXHFy.png
Here's what I'm entering into the command prompt: http://i.imgur.com/bikPd.png
It's an 8GB card.
Anything else you might want to look at to make sure I'm doing this right?

ok one thing though looks like you are flashing this in the platform-sdk tool folder. when you unlocked your bootloader, did you make a android folder and move the adb.exe and the fastboot.exe like it says for you to do in the instructions? if so you need to run the adb shell from there.

and also it can be your card as well. if you have a 2g card you might have issues trying to flash files from it. if you have anything bigger then you should be fine. for some reason i have seen with people having issues with 2g cards on their evos before.

Upvote 0
ok one thing though looks like you are flashing this in the platform-sdk tool folder. when you unlocked your bootloader, did you make a android folder and move the adb.exe and the fastboot.exe like it says for you to do in the instructions? if so you need to run the adb shell from there.

and also it can be your card as well. if you have a 2g card you might have issues trying to flash files from it. if you have anything bigger then you should be fine. for some reason i have seen with people having issues with 2g cards on their evos before.
I read the evo only supports sdhc cards, 2gb is not usually sdhc

Upvote 0
Ok, here's where the files are: http://i.imgur.com/zXHFy.png
Here's what I'm entering into the command prompt: http://i.imgur.com/bikPd.png
It's an 8GB card.
Anything else you might want to look at to make sure I'm doing this right?
Did you try re-downloading the flash_image file from this thread? Did you verify the md5 on the file? Did you run the command prompt as an Administrator?

I'm running out of things to ask, because I see the file, but clearly it isn't. The length of the path could be an issue, as ocn suggests.

EDIT: I think I know what it is - Is your phone connected to the computer in Disk Drive mode while you're running those commands? You have to have it in "Charge only" mode for adb to be able to mount /sdcard. Try that, and let us know if it works.

Upvote 0

I was having the same problem when flashing from the android folder with adb, fastboot, etc. that I made before I started, so I read through all of the comments and found this:

Hey guys thanks for the help i figured out what i was doing wrong i wasnt going to sdk tools folder in the command prompt but now i have another problem lol on step 8 and 9 when i am suppose to type adb shell in the cmd it just brings up a $ automatically it doesnt say:

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
*daemon started succesfully *

Which is why I'm flashing from the sdk tools folder. I'll try from the android folder with the items I started with again, but it was already having issues..

As far as I can tell, I've got an 8GB card. Unless you're referring to something different. I just took the phone apart and looked at the microusb to see the size.

--just tried using adb in the same folder I made at the beginning (with fastboot) and got the same result.

Upvote 0
EDIT: I think I know what it is - Is your phone connected to the computer in Disk Drive mode while you're running those commands? You have to have it in "Charge only" mode for adb to be able to mount /sdcard. Try that, and let us know if it works.

Trying this now, because yes--it is in disk drive mode >_>

[EDIT] IT WORKED!
Thanks much :D

Now hopefully I can get through the rest of it without any problems ^_^

Upvote 0
I have followed HTC's procedure to unlock the bootloader.

My questions are:

How can I do a back up before installing custom recovery (Amon-Ra or ClockworkMod) in case I need to go back to the original recovery; if I am not rooted and therefore can't do a nand back up?

Also It may sound redundant but I am a little confused as what is the difference now at this current state (Bootloader unlocked) and complete root (S-OFF)?

I am still a neewbie and have been reading all kind of threads but since this new update (Hboot 2.18) just happened I can't find some answers.

Thank you!!

Upvote 0
I have followed HTC's procedure to unlock the bootloader.

My questions are:

How can I do a back up before installing custom recovery (Amon-Ra or ClockworkMod) in case I need to go back to the original recovery; if I am not rooted and therefore can't do a nand back up?

Also It may sound redundant but I am a little confused as what is the difference now at this current state (Bootloader unlocked) and complete root (S-OFF)?

I am still a neewbie and have been reading all kind of threads but since this new update (Hboot 2.18) just happened I can't find some answers.

Thank you!!
welcome to the fourms!!!!!!!!!!!
once you have the bootloader unlocked you can install a custom recovery see post#2 for instructions. once you have recovery you can then make a nandroid backup. you can also flash custom roms but you will have to get to recovery via fastboot.

the difference is that with the captain's guide you will not have your bootloader watermarked and you will be able to get your phone fully rooted by using unrevoked which also makes it easier to unroot your phone as well. you will not be able to unroot your phone if you just unlock it. so that will be up to you.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
Thank you Ocnbrze!

I will install amon-ra and do a nand back up. I will install superuser afterwards.

I really appreciate your help!

Will definitely give it a try. I have had my evo for 1 year already and have always wanted to try to root my phone.

no worries. let us know how it goes. and of course if you need help or have questions please feel free to ask.

Upvote 0
Hey guys. Thanks for all the good info. I am pretty new to all of this. I followed the steps perfectly but when trying to run un-revoked, it keeps giving me the error that my Firmware is to new.

By the way I did not run the Captain's steps. Any suggestions?
In order to run unrevolked you have to follow captians steps first. It will change your h boot to 2.10 and then it will work.

Upvote 0
Hey guys. Thanks for all the good info. I am pretty new to all of this. I followed the steps perfectly but when trying to run un-revoked, it keeps giving me the error that my Firmware is to new.

Any particular reason you want to run unrevoked?

Upvote 0

yeah not sure why you are trying unrevoked. you need to read and follow everything to a t or you can mess things up. do not get ahead of yourself. go slow if you have to. plus you have the forums to help you out.

as of right now there are two rooting tools, unrevoked and revolutionary (plus HTCdev bootloader unlocking method).

unrevoked only works with hboot 2.10. revolutionary works with evo's that have hboot 2.16 or 2.15.

the latest ota changes the hboot 2.18 and there is no rooting tool that will get s-off. you can unlock your bootloader through HTCdev but that will watermark your bootloader and void your warranty, but you can still get flash roms and stuff. if you really want to get s-off then you need to follow the captain's guide to change your hboot to 2.10 then use unrevoked to get s-off.

so not sure why you decided to skip a whole bunch of steps and jump to unrevoked.

if you have gingerbread 2.3.5 then please read and follow the guide step by step.

Upvote 0
1.remove and insert the battery
2.press and hold power+vol down
3.with the vol buttons highlight fastboot and select it with your power button.
4.connect the device to the computer via usb cable
5.create a new folder and call it android
6.navigate to the android sdk r-12 folder and run the sdk manager.exe file
7.wait a 3 minutes and then only update android sdk platform toolsand android sdk tools
8.go to the android sdk platform tools folder and copy adb.exe and AdbWinApi.dll and paste it into the android folder you created earlier.
9.go to the android sdk tools folder and copy fastboot.exe and paste it also to the android folder as well.
10.right click on your android folder while holding shift and select open command window here (4th option).
11.in the command window type:
Code:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
13.you will need to copy the long block of text that is displayed
Right Click > Mark > highlight the block of text > Right click to copy
14.the first line you should highlight should be:
<<<<<Identifier Token Start>>>>>
and end with:
<<<<<Identifier Token End>>>>>
15.paste the text into the token field and then hit submit.
16.you will then get an email with the unlock key and commands to finish the process.

Hello, I have finally decided to root my Evo also. I am out of warranty, but will likely go through the entire process as outlined here and by Captain. I have been reading a lot of forums, but obviously this is the place to be - especially with hboot 2.18. Anyway, I tried to follow the instructions, but with some misunderstanding at first installed the HTCsync 3. When I click Begin Unlock Bootloader on HTCdev.com, nothing happened. Read everything few more times. Now, the HTC sync software and all the drivers are removed from the computer. I would like to clarify a few things before I proceed again.

1. The Android sdk software version 12 you have recommended. When I do update, it automatically selects version 15. Should I unselect and just keep at API version 12?
2. The folder "Android" you mention, is on my computer, not the phone/SDcard, correct?
3. I need to be in this Android folder when working in cmd window.

Thanks for the help and great work you guys.

Upvote 0
Ok, I have proceeded assuming updated version of sdk was ok and I need to work off "Android" folder on my computer. I have my phone in charge mode, with USB debugging checked, connected to the computer. I am at HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader site. I have selected "All other supported models" and when I click the button begin unlock bootloader, nothing happens :thinking:

I am able to get the block from the command prompt window using fastboot just fine. But can't paste the keys to HTCdev ! Please help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones