• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers Dream 1.6 Update

Just got off of the phone. Was told best bet, If I had been in contact with someone from OotP was to try to do something through them. Since Mary is with OotP, I'll try her to see what she can do.

Email them through the contact form. Choose step 3 and demand to have someone call you or you will take it to the Ombudsperson (which should be the next step for all of us).

http://your.rogers.com/contact/complaint.asp

Upvote 0
I just called Emil and left him a message asking that I either get a phone that rogers will continue to support going forward or to terminate my contract without penalty. I will update with the results when he calls me back. The times I have spoken to Emil directly he has called around 2000 EST.

Careful, according to this recent article, Rogers doesn't consider the early termination fee to be a "penalty".

CBC News - British Columbia - Rogers charges for 'free' text messages

"Spokesperson Holland insisted by email that Rogers does not consider its cancellation fee to be a penalty."

Upvote 0
Hi. Three other things you should take into consideration before getting an Android phone from Rogers are the network speed, software updates and paid apps. I have the Magic and it is an amazing phone coming from the Blackberry especially the browser and integration with Google however the 3G network with "speeds up to 7mps" is total ********* here in Montreal at least. It NEVER goes above 1.4 and most of the time it's below 1. This makes absolutely no difference for email and things of that nature but for web browsing it's marginal.

Another problem is the lack of commitment from Rogers on keeping the phones up to date with Google software upgrades. The American providers are either doing it over-the-air now or are committed to doing it. Given that the best Android apps are out for either 1.6 or 2.0, it's a real shocker to me that Rogers keeps us at 1.5. It's a Google phone, Rogers not a Windows phone.

The third and final stinker is that here in Canada there is NO access to paid apps in the Android App Market. Granted there are many good free apps however this lack of acccess to the other half of the app store is, to me, inexcusable. There are conflicting reports on who is responsible for this App issue but the end result for us Rogers clients is the same.

And to think that I paid an early termination fee to Telus of $240 to switch to Rogers because of the Magic. Brian

Thanks for the info. I was aware of the app market issue and of course the 1.6 issue from this forum (it's a great source of info for someone looking to buy and being fairly new to android phones).

Do you, or anyone else, know if the network speed is better with Bell or Telus? I wanted to stick with Rogers but right now that's up in the air and probably better to look at other options. Although now I know to ask the others if they will be offering updates on their android phones.

Upvote 0
I just called Emil and left him a message asking that I either get a phone that rogers will continue to support going forward or to terminate my contract without penalty. I will update with the results when he calls me back. The times I have spoken to Emil directly he has called around 2000 EST.

I used the term "Early termination fee" not "penalty"

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have been reading the updates for the past couple of weeks and finally decided to sign up and get involved. Thanks to those trailblazing ahead!
I too have just started the Step 1 of the process with Rogers to initiate a complaint. I will await the "canned" response I expect to get and then go onto Step 2.
I wish I had a tiny microphone with me the day I was in the Rogers store buying my HTC Magic and the response I got when I asked if there would be OS updates to the phone...I know what I was told by the sales guy...
I really do enjoy the phone a lot but agree with everyone here that it is not unrealistic to expect "software" upgrades when I am going to be spending over $2500 + over the next 3 years of my contract with Rogers. (nto to mention the amount I spend for Cable, Internet and Home Phone...)

Upvote 0
I agree with both "strevellick" and "bunhead" however, i would like to be able to terminate my contract without any penalty because Rogers failed to deliver their side of the contract. If this was their intent from beginning, it should've been clearly identified previously. Why should I pay for their mistake and/or misdirection?

Upvote 0
Bottom Line: This SUCKS!

@RogersMary - thanks for the reply. I hope you have noted the features included in 1.6 that are not available in our 1.5. ROGERS RELEASE OUR 1.6! The longer you hold off, the worse it will be in terms of customer retention going forward. I am informing all Rogers users of this lack of service.

How about access to the Paid Apps. feature. Is this something that we can expect?

This blame game is a joke. HTC/Rogers are both equally at fault.

Wait, my obselete Dream is ringing...

Upvote 0
I've owned this phone since ~august, I can't say I don't love it...as I really do. However, this recent news is unacceptable and I too would like to either terminate my 3 year contract without penalty or be given an upgrade through rogers to a phone that will be supported (i.e., iphone).

For those who have requested either of the above, please keep the forum updated with your progress.

regards,

Upvote 0
I've owned this phone since ~august, I can't say I don't love it...as I really do. However, this recent news is unacceptable and I too would like to either terminate my 3 year contract without penalty or be given an upgrade through rogers to a phone that will be supported (i.e., iphone).

For those who have requested either of the above, please keep the forum updated with your progress.

regards,

Well, I own the LG Eve and am afraid that this is going to be the future for me as well. So, I have sent my request in to have my phone replaced. Don't get me wrong, I love this phone. But without any support, what is the point? Root it? Sell it?

In my email to Rogers I tried to explain to them that what we want is what Microsoft has been doing for years ie: "Automatic Microsoft Updates", keeping there software "up to date" whether it be small bug fixes or major OS updates. They got them to us without question.

We will see I guess.

Upvote 0
Let them have it:
LINK: No OS Upgrades for Canadian Android Users says Rogers

Someone mentioned gasoline? Let's add some more - SEE Below.

Time for some further attention to the ridiculous issue we have here. Here I was thinking Rogers was a serious company willing to place full commitment to their product and show their vision with their early support of one of the major mobile players (Android). I was wrong - Rogers is up to their sneaky ways again. I will be very hard to defend Rogers (and HTC) in the future.

Let them have it:
No OS Upgrades for Canadian Android Users says Rogers

Upvote 0
This is what I've just sent to ROGERS.

I want out of my contract. I was led to believe that my phone (HTC Dream) would be supported with future OS upgrades. THAT WAS ONE OF THE SELLING POINTS. Now I hear that I am supposed to keep this phone for the next FOUR years and the OS is already at least one release out of date. My hats off to you ROGERS, what it took TELUS EIGHT years to do, to get me to switch to another carrier, you did in only FOUR months.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0
Regarding Google Maps Navigation, we would also love to see this Google service but it is not yet available in Canada. As for the other specific questions, I'll look in to it and report back what I can. May take a few days.

I gather that the issue with Google Navigation not being available in Canada is due to licencing restrictions on the mapping data provided to Google. With two of Roger's competitors now offering Android telephones, I'm sure that this licencing issue will be resolved soon. (Also, Google is working hard at making the next iPhone "killer" with their upcoming Nexus phone. I expect that Google will resolve this issue in time to sell this phone in Canada.)

Therefore, the future availability of Google Navigation in Canada will restricted to those phones running Android 1.6 and later. This is a very compelling reason to ensure that updates are available for HTC Magic (and Dream) phones.

Upvote 0
In my email to Rogers I tried to explain to them that what we want is what Microsoft has been doing for years ie: "Automatic Microsoft Updates", keeping there software "up to date" whether it be small bug fixes or major OS updates. They got them to us without question.

Microsoft also periodically rolls all these updates (along with new features) into service packs. These are critical updates that extend the life of the operating system. For example, there are many Windows XP applications that require SP2 (and will not run on earlier versions of Windows XP).

Kinda similar to Android ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones