• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

rogers htc dream and apps w/ soft keyboards

Hi,

I ask, because I am getting conflicting messages. Some people say forget it, if you can't even flash the phone, you can't root it.

But then I see in some people's signatures that they have flashed their phones!

So I am confused. Can someone please clarify? Can I flash the phone? Can I root the phone? Because in theory, if I can root it, I can have tethering.

Ultimately, I want the tethering feature. In fact so badly, that I am basing my entire HTC purchase decision on whether I can have tethering or not.

So please help me decide so I can take advantage of the $30 for 6GB/month deal.

Thank you, thank you, thank you,
G-man

Upvote 0
I've got a US G1 I bought of Ebay back in sept of 08, workes great, using Fido network, and T-mobile send the cupcake update back in may (not sure how cuz I'm on fido, but it poped up asking me to update, so I did.) My soft keyboard works fine (but I have to admite the soft keyboard on the iphone is much more responsive :( ) and my internet works fine as well, however i'm only able to get a EDGE connection. I assumed that onece rogers started selling them I'd be able to get 3g but still it only ever connects on edge. does anyone have a suggestion? and no i dont have only connect with 2g checked.

if I can pass off any experience from the past few months to my new canadian newbies, it would be to get the following programs as a must have.....Locale, Owner, ahome lite, toggle settings, sazam, cab4me, shopsavvy, flashlight (sounds like an odd choice, but many a night it helps out with little thinks like finding keys from car floor), imeem (make an online account and upload all your mp3s from your pc), meridian, funambol, parkmark(I use free old version) and of course the most obviouse, start using a gmail account, if you don't have one get one, this phone absolutly sucks for things like MS office, but if you link all your contacts, calendars, names, e-mails and such to a free gmail account, this phone really shines and is pretty much unbeatible right now. (this should not surprise anyone since google made the OS, its obviouse to the users advantage to use google products)\

Oh and I can absolutly tether it to my laptope for internet access, no issues. phone cost $270 off ebay, that includes shipping, and its mine, much better than rogers 599.00 byeout and I've got no contract, can stick in any sim and it works great, fido, rogers, whatever.

Upvote 0
I have tried the directions below to put a touch keyboard on my HTC Dream (it's been no dream). Actually, I've tried several times, always getting the Sorry! message: The application "com.Android.HTC.apk" has stopped. Please try again. with the Force Close button. In earlier attempts, I have always be able to back out the 2 apps I installed: HTC.IME.apk and Latin.IME.apk Unfortunately, I now get the above error message which cycles thru system files, eg. android.process.acore etc.
Can anyone help? I realize I may have to restore the phone to factory defaults. Thanks in advance!! Michael

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones