• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[ROM][4.2.2][JDQ39][03/06/2013] CM10.1 for SPH-D710VMUB

CyanogenMod 10.1 | Android 4.2.2 JellyBean!!

[HIGH]#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/*
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear
* war, or the current economic crisis caused by you following these directions.
* YOU are choosing to make these modificiations, and if you point your finger at
* me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/[/HIGH]

This ROM is compiled from source. I started with the work of dastin1015 & Team-Hydra, and applied a mms fix, and more suited the source for the Virgin Mobile variant of the S2. I made this ROM so that we here at Virgin Mobile could just flash a ROM and not have to worry about fixing mms or resolving other little quirks, this ROM is built for Virgin Mobile!

Please read the entire first and second post before flashing this ROM!!

Features:
  • Compiled directly from source
  • Kept up to date with upstream CyanogenMod
  • Kept up to date with upstream Team-Hydra/dastin1015 changes
  • Includes a CM10.1 kernel with the latest CWM Recovery

Whats Working?:
  • Calls
  • SMS
  • MMS
  • 3g/4g - 4g turns on and off, don't live in 4g area so I can't fully test
  • Audio - Is slightly quiter, this is a issue with any 4.2 AOSP ROM for the Epic 4g Touch
  • Bluetooth
  • GPS - Locks very fast for me, usually around 2 seconds
  • Camera & Camcorder - Front and back
  • Audio Playback
  • Video Playback
  • USB Mass Storage
  • WiFi

Issues:
  • Any CM10.1 issue present on the Epic 4g Touch ROMs
  • Audio is slightly quieter than stock
  • I have had it drop me to 1x a couple times, think its more modem related
  • Some have reported MMS issues with large messages, looking into this
  • 4g WiFi tethering is not functional, native or 3rd party
  • Dock audio apparently doesn't work, but I can't test it

Installation:
  • MUST USE A ICS OR OLDER MODEM!!
  • Data will not work on a JellyBean modem like FL14
  • Have a custom recovery installed (Kuban Kernel, Agats Repacked kernels, etc) (I flashed from the Kuban Kernel 0.2.5)
  • Flash an ICS modem if you need to (I use the FL26 modem, the latest Virgin Mobile modem)
  • Wipe data, system, and cache if youa re on any ROM besides this one!!
  • If already on my ROM, wipe cache & dalvik cache
  • Flash CM10.1
  • Flash Gapps for 4.2.1 (Must do this everytime you flash this ROM!!)
  • If you are coming from a previous install of this ROM, wipe data on Clock once booted up
  • Reboot & Enjoy the awesomeness!!

Credit:
  • Credit goes first and foremost to dastin1015, not only did he get CM10.1 to where its at for the Epic 4g Touch, he also helped me with my work as well. Donations should go to him before me!
  • Team-Hydra
  • CyanogenMod Team
  • Epic CM
  • Google
  • Anyone who has helped me along the way with my development career!

Donate:

Notes:
  • To enable Developer Options and Performance go to Settings > About Phone and repeatedly press Build Number.
  • Make sure you followed instructions before telling me my ROM doesn't work!
  • Search through the thread for an answer to your issue before posting about it to make sure it hasn't already been answered!

General Information on the VM SGS2:
  • By now you should know that the kernel and recovery are tied together on this phone. This ROM uses a kernel compiled at build time specifically for CM10.1, and it includes a fully functional CWM recovery. If you are to flash a different kernel over it to get a recovery, you phone will no longer boot to the ROM, and you will have to reflash the ROM or at least reflash the CM10.1 kernel.
  • In order to return back to your previous setup with you nandroid you made, what I would do is through the included CWM recovery, flash the kernel/recovery that you used to make the nandroid, then reboot to recovery and wipe data, system, cache and then restore your nandroid.
  • The Team Win Recovery Project recovery v 2.4 for the Epic 4g Touch works marvelous with CM10.1 (will not work with any TouchWiz/stock/Samsung based ROM!!!), but in order to get it to flash you must edit the updater-script and remove all the device asserts at the top of the script, or add SPH-D710VMUB to it. I will try to post a modified version of the zip that will flash when using this ROM. Also TWRP must be "injected" into the CM10.1 kernel image, so when upgrading to a newer ROM, you must either tell TWRP to reinject itself, or do what I do and reflash the TWRP zip!
  • If you are coming from FL14, you will inadvertently have the FL14 modem on your phone. This means that if you do not flash a ICS or older modem, you will not have working 3g at the least, maybe more stuff not working. This is just the way it is for now, so flash the FJ12 or FL26 (links for these modems in 3rd post!)modem, and all the modems that will work on our phone can be found here: XDA Modem Repository! and here are the Virgin Specific modems: rwilco12's Virgin SGS2 Section

Source:
  • All the source for this ROM can be found at my SGS2VMU-DEV github account here: SGS2VMU-DEV Github

Yeah I've been running this exact ROM since the 9th and had ran a previous test build before that. It works great for me. The key board pop up has some graphical glitches and I noticed some graphical glitches in set CPU which was noted in the thread for the epic 4g touch. But all in all the ROM runs damn good.

And now that I got cm10.1 running I am going to maintain it and keep it as updated as I can. Try to have a new release every week if its possible. And I'm going to start on aokp and pa 4.2.1 and get it working if I can!

Upvote 0
Is there a step by step noob proof installation guide coming for this?

How much quieter is this vs stock?

Also, can somone test the action of the power button, when the screen turns off, wait 5 seconds, then push the power button, does the screen turn on instantly or is there a delay?

And lastly, can you activate service running CM10.1, or do you need to activate in stock and then flash this?

Upvote 0

This is a repacked FL26 kernel with agats recovery, not the modem. I will post a cwm flashable zip with the FL26 modem if I can pull it off my phone.

And for step by step, the first post has instructions. Just make sure you have a custom recovery and then install following the directions. And the difference in volume isn't a whole lot, i barely even notice it and its not a deal breaker to me.

And my screen comes on instantly even if its been deep sleeping for quite a while!

And i do not think you can activate on this ROM, you must do it from the stock FJ12 or FL26, and I suppose the FL14 one as well! To be safe I would activate before flashing this ROM!

Upvote 0
I was really liking the FL14 leak but once this was released I just couldn't help myself. I am starting to feel at home again with this phone. MMS and Visual Voicemail (though is doesn't update to the latest version) are working great. Thank you b_randon14 for releasing this!!

The rom is very stable but I found one bug while playing with my bluetooth ear piece. The voice dialer will lock up with bluetooth on and paired with my ear piece. If bluetooth is on and I leave my ear piece off the voice dialer will start up fine.

Upvote 0
I was really liking the FL14 leak but once this was released I just couldn't help myself. I am starting to feel at home again with this phone. MMS and Visual Voicemail (though is doesn't update to the latest version) are working great. Thank you b_randon14 for releasing this!!

The rom is very stable but I found one bug while playing with my bluetooth ear piece. The voice dialer will lock up with bluetooth on and paired with my ear piece. If bluetooth is on and I leave my ear piece off the voice dialer will start up fine.

Haha, I'm also starting to feel like I'm a bit at home again. It's been a while too coming from the Optimus with CM7 to the Evo V (had no CM) to this phone. Do you think there is any chance that you could upload the VVM apk?

Upvote 0
I tried this coming from FL14 as well but I'm a tool & screwed my phone up by running Titanium Backup trying to get my Contacts back, which I shouldn't have done but did anyways. Can someone dumb it down for me on how to properly get my backups on this ROM? A link at least would be nice.

In the meantime, I'm going back to FL14. I really want this upgrade tho.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones