• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] ApeX V1.0 for Droid X - An AOSP Experience (10/20/10)

Um...are you talking about the 3 star app by Verizon Wireless with 250,000+ downloads? I don't think it's fake. It gets horrible ratings because, well, quite frankly, it's not worth $2.99 a month for a service that is essentially free with Google Voice. It's not in the Verizon tab because they switch out the apps in there constantly, "featuring" new ones every once in a while.

It's left out of the ROM for that very reason. Not many people pay for the service, and it is readily available in the market.

But if you insist, I've attached the file from the full 2.3.15 image. Put it on your sdcard, then open terminal emulator and type:

su
install Vvm.apk

First lemme say thanks for the quick responses. And also please don't mistake my posts for being rude. Thanks for the info about Google Voice, I think I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0
Google Voice is awesome. There's no reason to pay VZW $3 for VVM when you get a better product for free from Google. Plus since it uses your Google cloud storage your messages can be saved "forever".

I'm still using the original version of the ROM (never updated to the beta 2) and didn't have any issues. I'll try installing this one right over it and will report back later with results.

Upvote 0
It's in the market ;)

Yes, you can download the VVM app, but it will not run unless you change the build.prop file. You will get a message saying that VVM is installed on your device, please uninstall the downloaded app.

To run the VVM app from the market, you must edit the build prop file:

Change:
ro.HorizontalVVM=True
To:
ro.HorizontalVVM=false

Once you edit the file, reboot and VVM will launch.

Upvote 0
did an advanced restore of the data and it went perfect. had to re-load widgets, but everything else worked just fine.

thanks for the ROM fab. it's super crisp, and everything i'm looking for in my DX right now.

thanks!

Hey. I'm still running the 2.3.15 from the nandroid you shared last month (with the latest Tranquility update). What's the upside to switching to ApeX?

Upvote 0
is this blurless to the point that the messaging app syncs with facebook with only your contacts on gmail.

Somehow, Blur disables the built in sync function of Facebook, since it overrides it with its own Facebook sync, which unfortunately does not give you the choice of syncing only your existing contacts vs. all.

If you just want the pictures of your contacts you have in Gmail though, you can always use SyncMyPix to do that. It pulls down higher quality pics than the Facebook app too, which is nice.

Upvote 0
You can, but it may reinstall some Blur stuff or gapps that I've removed.

So do it at your own precaution. I cannot provide support for issues that stem from installing an unsupported theme ;)

How about your previous themes such as Revolution R2?? Or would you suggest going through that theme as well to ensure no unwanted .apks are added?

Upvote 0
How about your previous themes such as Revolution R2?? Or would you suggest going through that theme as well to ensure no unwanted .apks are added?

I'll be updating NexTheme and REVOlution for this ROM soon. For now, if you want to use em, you'll probably want to go through them an make sure you remove some of the market gapps, i.e. Gmail.

Upvote 0
I don't think the one in the marketplace is the actual oficial version. I think it's malware. It has nothing but negative comments about how it's not working and doesn't download voicemails. Plus it's not in the "Verizon" tab of the market app....

Why wouldn't you (or whoever built this ROM) just leave the application there? That's pretty much a staple of these phones and something I think everyone uses.

I don't get it...

I dont know a single person that uses it. Most rom devs take it out, always.

I dont get it...

Upvote 0
Love this new ROM

Only problem I have with it is backup assistant and syncing contacts from facebook.

I installed the ROM but now I can not install backup assistant from the market (or find it) to add all my contacts.

Also, the contacts I have now are not pulled from facebook.

Any suggestions on how to fix both?

Ty for the great work fab.

Upvote 0
Wireless tether fc on me :(, and another strange thing.. my camera only in landscape mode, doesn't turn into portrait

Ok, the wifi tether FC is from optipng. Apparently it does not like to be compressed :(

It will be fixed, along with some various issues in a hotfix I will put out in a bit.

As for the camera, I'm pretty sure it doesn't switch over to portrait...

If you take a picture portrait, it will display that way in the gallery, just the camera interface is locked into landscape.

Upvote 0
Ok, the wifi tether FC is from optipng. Apparently it does not like to be compressed :(

It will be fixed, along with some various issues in a hotfix I will put out in a bit.
I just installed one from android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code, it doesn't fore close, but I did not test it yet

As for the camera, I'm pretty sure it doesn't switch over to portrait...

If you take a picture portrait, it will display that way in the gallery, just the camera interface is locked into landscape.

I guess I did not use camera often enough to remember simple things :)

<--- what a da :)

I did install Blur one over yours, and of course t doesn't switch to portrait. Fab, do you mind to post apk, I like vanila icons better :)

Upvote 0
Is it possible to make the camera silent when taking pictures? Any way to remove the beep-beep when focusing and the camera shutter sound when taking the picture?

Nice ROM, btw. Pretty fast.

Whoo, that feature is actually built in but I forgot to write it in my first post!

the sound script does that, -d to disable, -e to enable.

so in term:

su
sound -d

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones