• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM decisions

sevine

Feb 27, 2011
Georgia
im new to the evo (got a new one as part of an advance exchange of an epic 4g) and i gotta say so far i love it. the root process seems a bit more in depth than on my old epic but i think i can muddle through. what i need more than a little bit of help on is choosing a rom. im running gingerbread 2.3.3 currently and kinda love the htc sense. im looking for a rom where everything (or as close as u can get) works. there are so many roms for the evo out there. if it helps at all i was running SRF ( [ROM]SyndicateROM Frozen 1.1.0 (Takiya) :: EC05/1.3ghz/NoCheckboarding :: 3/27 - xda-developers )
on my epic.
thanks in advance for any advice and sorry for such a rambling post.

im new to the evo (got a new one as part of an advance exchange of an epic 4g) and i gotta say so far i love it. the root process seems a bit more in depth than on my old epic but i think i can muddle through. what i need more than a little bit of help on is choosing a rom. im running gingerbread 2.3.3 currently and kinda love the htc sense. im looking for a rom where everything (or as close as u can get) works. there are so many roms for the evo out there. if it helps at all i was running SRF ( [ROM]SyndicateROM Frozen 1.1.0 (Takiya) :: EC05/1.3ghz/NoCheckboarding :: 3/27 - xda-developers )
on my epic.

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!
try mikg2.50 and if you want what the evo3d has try the mik3d. it is still in beta, but everything works and sense 3.0 is awesome!

Upvote 0
on my epic.

Why choose one? Flash them all untill you find one you like then flash them all again :). But yes Mik3D is the one I keep coming back to, or EVOlvedROM... I can't decide.

Upvote 0
Its sense so i can do the prl thing at will, and just the overall smoothness of it. I still run launcher pro and beautiful widgets etc etc so it looks alot like cm7, but just behaves differently. I actually froze some of the sense stuff with TiB pro tho LoL it just kept running in the background even tho i had NOTHING to do with it!! Ive not noticed any lagging by freezing that crap, but i have noticed a better battery life :D

Upvote 0
this might be a silly question but id rather ask than mess up my phone. will mikg 2.5 work with revolutionary?

not that silly...well maybe a little:D

revolutionary is just a tool that will do three things basically
1.it gives you s-off which is your securities of your phone.
2.it will unlock nand protection so that you can change permissions and read and write to the system partitions (like flashing a rom).
3.it will give you a rooted stock rom with a custom recovery

after that the future is wide open. you can now flash anything and do anything you want to your phone. you can leave revolutionary behind. you can delete the su file.

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
Man, i gotta say that im still diggin on "the breed" and i was the stauchest of staunch CM7 supporters out there, just ask ocn lol

SO far... this is my fav rom... However, the battery life (in my case) has been either worse than stock, or equal to... For me, this is no good, cuz I use my phone a lot, and am in the woods a lot, with no power source for miles, so I'm about to try some AOSP for the 1st time...

I should add, there were 2 reasons I rooted my phone in the 1st place... 1st, is the fact that sprints GB ota eff'd my phone up, it became laggy, certain things either didnt work, or didnt work well, and the battery life nosedived after the ota,
2nd... Well, I want more battery life than what I had with the froyo that came with the phone, and from the reading I've done, AOSP is prolly gonna do that for me, but I guess we shall see....

Really do like the breed rom tho... its just sexy and smooth....

Upvote 0
got all sorts of rooted and rom flashy goodness last night. thanks for the suggestions and answering silly questions. loving mikg thus far but im a bit of a rom/theme junkie so im sure there will be lots of different things tried. was just tryin to get a good baseline rom. thanks again.

If you're looking to theme, try Myn's RLS1 Synergy. There are many themes and such to enhance your phone to your liking;)

[ROM] Synergy - [RLS1+GodMode 08/05/2011] - Now With Warm Sprinkles! - xda-developers

I would suggest trying the non GodMode version first;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones