• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] [rom]jbsourcery v5.4-lte[06/07/13] jb4.2.2 The Final Call

4.2 isn't stable? I have been on it since day 1 and haven't had any issues and I was also able to restore everything with Titanium Backup.

I meant a JBSourcery 4.2 release. Which Verizon 4.2 ROM are you using?

seems that the changes to CWM and TWRP have made a huge difference for the 4.2 roms. Not seen any with the options we have all been accustomed to, and wouldnt expect to see this early into a new release.

I would suggest JBsourcery 3.2 for anyone still hanging onto earlier releases. Our version of android 4.2 will not be out anytime soon as our main man eagle is enjoying a long deserved vacation. If your out in Cali running in the sand dunes you may run into him the next 2 weeks... dont hurt him please lol

For TIBU, it is a great tool when used correctly. I dont restore any system apps... and I only restore data for games/tapatalk. anything else and you are flirting with potential issues

That's cool. Thanks for the update. I think I'll just stick with the 2.2.3 until you and the team are able to get a 4.2 release out. So TiBu is good to use with something like Angry Birds and not screw up anything important? That's good to know.

That is, unless it will be possible to dirty flash from JBSourcery 3.2 to the Android 4.2 version, which I'm guessing is a resounding no? lol.

Upvote 0

I completely forgot what thread I was in. I'm on stock 4.2 on my N7 (I thought I was in an N7 thread) and JBS 3.2 on my CDMA GNex. My post was referring to my N7 but obviously my post is not relevant for this thread. Sorry for the confusion.

Upvote 0

That's cool. Thanks for the update. I think I'll just stick with the 2.2.3 until you and the team are able to get a 4.2 release out. So TiBu is good to use with something like Angry Birds and not screw up anything important? That's good to know.

That is, unless it will be possible to dirty flash from JBSourcery 3.2 to the Android 4.2 version, which I'm guessing is a resounding no? lol.
Dirty flashing will always cause issues, its just what level of issues you will see. most problems are just small hiccups, others are revealed in FC's on apps. Adding a new version from google thrown in and my guess is you would have huge issues on a dirty flash.

if your still on 2.2.3 you have missed the following:

JBSourcery 3.1.5

-show wifi next to carrier text-
-see thru lockscreen-
-Click on date and time redone new options-
-navring redone allows more choices-
-nfc polling-
-updated SuperSU-
-More tablet mode improvments-
-CM toggles ability to brightness status bar-
-CM toggles-only show lte or 2g if supported-
-Weather panel options redone-
-upto Seven navbar keys-
-New Wallpaper app now included with rom-
-Many other small fixes-
-and more-

JBSourcery 3.1 Added Features

torch aokp fixed

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is a ROM issue or what, but it seems that every time I go to update more than a few apps at the same time, my phone gets very unresponsive. I would expect a hiccup or two while it's doing a lot of I/O transfers, but my phone is just about unusable while I'm updating any apps. A few times, it has actually locked up and rebooted the phone while updating apps, but only when I shut off the screen while it's updating. If I keep the screen on, it just doesn't respond to any touch/input at all for several seconds at a time.

I've pretty much had this issue for the last couple JBS revisions and am currently on 3.1 w/ Franco Kernel r300. I've had the same experience with Leankernel and Trinity kernels too. Anyone else seen anything similar?

I'm about to update to 3.2 just for the hell of it since I have time. I still don't see a change log for 3.2 anywhere, did it ever get posted?

Thanks for all the great work though.

Upvote 0
Yes. I've had that problem. Not sure what causes it. but it seems like a busy I/o. Zen v8 seems to have less lag in that situation for me.

Have you tried changing the scheduler? I've had good results in past with sio...I've also heard noop is supposed to be good with flash storage

Nah, I've actually never touched the scheduler because I haven't researched what the different ones do and how they affect anything. So it has stayed on Deadline (default right now). You got a good link where I can read the differences between them? For some reason, I'm not seeing Sio as an option anymore. I know it was there at one time before, but with Franco r300, I only see Noop, Deadline and bfq as scheduler options. I'm not sure what Zen v8 is either, is that another scheduler type?

Thanks for the tip though :). I'll switch it to noop right now and see how that affects things.

Upvote 0
Just want to say that I love this rom. I do experience small issues with the gallery though. Whenever the gallery has been closed upon reopening the gallery all I see is "scrapbook photos" for several seconds until all of my pictures and screenshots, etc. Anything I can do about this? I know its just a few seconds and it loads every time, its just that everything else is insant. I can totally live with it like it is, just wondering if theres a fix. I did a clean install on top of a previous sorcery version. This is at least my 4th version of sorcery and this is the only real issue I've had. :)

Upvote 0
Nah, I've actually never touched the scheduler because I haven't researched what the different ones do and how they affect anything. So it has stayed on Deadline (default right now). You got a good link where I can read the differences between them? For some reason, I'm not seeing Sio as an option anymore. I know it was there at one time before, but with Franco r300, I only see Noop, Deadline and bfq as scheduler options. I'm not sure what Zen v8 is either, is that another scheduler type?

Thanks for the tip though :). I'll switch it to noop right now and see how that affects things.

Go into Trickster Mod and click the menu button in the top right hand corner and go to his web support page, he has excellent descriptions and explanations for both the I/O schedulers and governors...an excellent read.
Here's the direct links
http://trickstermod.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/118700-i-o-schedulers

http://trickstermod.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/118702-cpu-governors

Upvote 0
Changelog for 3.2 is basically the same as 3.1.5

JBSourcery 3.1.5

-show wifi next to carrier text-
-see thru lockscreen-
-Click on date and time redone new options-
-navring redone allows more choices-
-nfc polling-
-updated SuperSU-
-More tablet mode improvments-
-CM toggles ability to brightness status bar-
-CM toggles-only show lte or 2g if supported-
-Weather panel options redone-
-upto Seven navbar keys-
-New Wallpaper app now included with rom-
-Many other small fixes-
-and more-

Gallery lag, the gallery is an app that has to access your sd card. If the app is not in memory it has to go and grab the data and that takes a second or 2. Not sure there is much to do on that one but will look.

Updating apps in the playstore and the phone being unresponsive. I have not seen this one on my end, unless im trying to access the actual app that is being updated. For each install I do a factory reset, using tibu only to restore game data and everything works great on my end. Not sure if those having issues are doing dirty installs or not, just a thought.

Upvote 0
Good news: Bluetooth FIXED :)

Bad News: It's the ROM :(

I tried multiple kernels to fix this and nothing helped. So I wiped EVERYTHING and restored 3.1.5 w/stock kernel.

Turned on the BT headset, hit Play and it plays/pauses/skips all day long. ON 3.2 I literally had to use the phone to control Play Music for everything. Don't know what to tell you except I love your ROMs, I am loyal to them... but 3.2 jacks my BT something fierce. On another note:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! :D

EDIT: BTW Chizzele, I think it was you who extracted the old Deskclock apk for me. I tried installing it in Astro and it says "app not installed". I am going to re-flash the ROM and the OLD 2.5.5 inverted Gapps, because I simply cannot STAND this 4.2 Deskclock. I truly loathe it that much. Hopefully we can figure out why this apk won't install... in the meantime, I have to revert further back :(

EDIT EDIT: Okay, I'm at wit's end here: I dirty flashed JBSourcery 3.1.5 and the 2.5.5 inverted Gapps. And I STILL have the 4.2 deskclock, and the old clock apk STILL won't install! :eek:

Somebody smartn' me needs to help me figure this one out. ALL I want is the 4.1 deskclock. I can have 4.2 everything else, but that thick hour and thin minutes just drives me nuts. So you brilliant minds kindly come to my rescue - PLEASE! :)

Upvote 0
Good news: Bluetooth FIXED :)

Bad News: It's the ROM :(

I tried multiple kernels to fix this and nothing helped. So I wiped EVERYTHING and restored 3.1.5 w/stock kernel.

Turned on the BT headset, hit Play and it plays/pauses/skips all day long. ON 3.2 I literally had to use the phone to control Play Music for everything. Don't know what to tell you except I love your ROMs, I am loyal to them... but 3.2 jacks my BT something fierce. On another note:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! :D

EDIT: BTW Chizzele, I think it was you who extracted the old Deskclock apk for me. I tried installing it in Astro and it says "app not installed". I am going to re-flash the ROM and the OLD 2.5.5 inverted Gapps, because I simply cannot STAND this 4.2 Deskclock. I truly loathe it that much. Hopefully we can figure out why this apk won't install... in the meantime, I have to revert further back :(

EDIT EDIT: Okay, I'm at wit's end here: I dirty flashed JBSourcery 3.1.5 and the 2.5.5 inverted Gapps. And I STILL have the 4.2 deskclock, and the old clock apk STILL won't install! :eek:

Somebody smartn' me needs to help me figure this one out. ALL I want is the 4.1 deskclock. I can have 4.2 everything else, but that thick hour and thin minutes just drives me nuts. So you brilliant minds kindly come to my rescue - PLEASE! :)

Chief, the 4.2 clock isnt in the 3.1.5 rom or gapps.. sure you wiped good?

Upvote 0
Chief, the 4.2 clock isnt in the 3.1.5 rom or gapps.. sure you wiped good?

That's what confounds me so: I formatted data, cache, Dalvik and system, flashed 3.1.5 and the 2.5.5 inverted Gapps. I have no idea where this stinking thing came from :p

EDIT: Bcote, you ROCK! Thanks for reminding me. I put it in the System/app folder and it works just fine! WOOHOO :D

EDIT EDIT: Well, it INSTALLED just fine, but it keeps FCing every time I try to set an alarm. I will try removing the mysterious 4.2 Clock (or renaming it), to see if it alleviates the conflict...

EDIT3: That did it! I suspect the 4.2 clock came back as part of a TiBU restore of my alarms. Anyway, in Root Explorer I renamed it "DeskclockGoogle.apk.bak" and rebooted. The 4.1 clock works great now - the only pain is that I had just set up all my alarms (from 1-9 AM in 30 min increments) and now get to do it again. Oh well, small price to pay for a perfect phone :D

Upvote 0
Go into Trickster Mod and click the menu button in the top right hand corner and go to his web support page, he has excellent descriptions and explanations for both the I/O schedulers and governors...an excellent read.
Here's the direct links
I/O Schedulers

CPU Governors

Thanks for that. I've switched my scheduler from Deadline to Sio and Noop and it seems to have helped a lot when my phone is updating. I cant actually use it with minimal lag when apps are updating now.

Now I have a another issue though :mad:. GPS is totally busted for me, it seems. It refuses to lock onto me when trying to navigate, Maps has be "accurate to 2700 feet" and I'm jumping around everywhere. It's very frustrating because I'm out of town and have to rely on my wife's Rezound to navigate if we're together while we're out.

I thought it may have been a kernel issue, but I've switched from the Leankernel 4.5.0exp to 4.6.0 to Franco Milestone 6 and r300 nightly, all with the same results. I've also tried using GPS Status to reset cached GPS data and downloaded AGPS data from the internet. I have a clear line of sight with the sky too and GPS Status says it's locking onto several (at least 9/11) satellites. I don't see how that's possible if my location is so far off. Nothing helps though :(

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones