• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM STABLE] Bugless Beast V0.5 Android 2.2 FRG22D

RRS Poll - Please Rate this ROM only if you have flashed it.

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 64 60.4%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
loving the rom! definately smooth! but having weird issue. is anyone else's "Search" button not working (the magnifying glass button)? a long press still brings up voice search, but a regular press doesn't bring up the google search bar.

any ideas?

Peter Alfonso (PeterAlfonso) on Twitter

Pete's latest tweet provides a fix - basically, you have to download a .zip file, flash it to your phone, then use ADB or terminal emulator to move the Search app back to the sys partition. Then, to update it, you run the script in reverse...actually, it's all spelled out in the link on his Twitter.

As a side note, after you flash the .zip file, you may need to re-install your theme. I'm using Bugless Evolution 0.8 and parts of my theme went back to stock BB after flashing the fixsearch.zip.

Upvote 0
Two totally different beasts (pun somewhat intended), so it's like comparing apples to oranges. UD is all about customization and BB is more focused on a nice combination of speed/customization/stability. If you've used BB in the past, this is a better version of what's come before.

I don't understand how you can say it's bloated when you can remove more apps than in the standard FRG22D ROM - there's literally NOTHING Pete added that you can't remove, app-wise. I realize you mention this, but I just can't reconcile you calling it bloated with the reality of the situation. Is this your first BB rom, out of curiosity? Because Pete's done the overclocking before, and while this is an improved version of it, it's always worked really well, in my experience.

Just tried it out on my phone, and it's not working either - Chrome says "Sent to phone." but nothing is coming through.

---
On an unrelated note, yes, I am cheerleading for this ROM twenty days or so after I predicted it would never come out and derided Pete for claiming 0.5 was coming with no tangible progress to be seen (other than by a few beta testers) - this should tell you something about how good this ROM is. Not only have I completely eaten my words, I've also begun to champion this ROM. If you're on the fence, TRY THIS ROM OUT.

That's not specifically what I am referring to (because it takes just a few minutes to manual remove the apps) but cachemate is showing that it's using 91 mb of space, and I only have 12 downloaded apps. UD 8 and CM6 only use about 35mb.

Upvote 0
Great work as always Pete. One minor issue I have found don't know if it's a Rom thing or just my phone not playing nice, Chrome to phone is not working. Tried disconnecting and connecting also signing out from the desktop, still a no go.

A couple of thing to try: first, go into Manage Applications and clear data for Chome to Phone, then connect your phone to C2P again. If that doesn't work, you can uninstall it using Manage Applications and reinstall it from the Market to see if that gets it working. If neither of those work, I'm fresh out of ideas.

Upvote 0
A couple of thing to try: first, go into Manage Applications and clear data for Chome to Phone, then connect your phone to C2P again. If that doesn't work, you can uninstall it using Manage Applications and reinstall it from the Market to see if that gets it working. If neither of those work, I'm fresh out of ideas.

Neither option worked - any chance you could put a word in with Pete about a possible fix?

Upvote 0
I got my Chrome to phone to work... I for one did not know of the new versions in the Market and Google Extensions site. So i uninstall both and re-installed both. Still did not work so i went into the droid and opened chrome to phone hit disconnect then added my phone back in and it worked.

Seems like the thing to do is do your phone last as far as installs go.

Upvote 0
I have just got this rom set up the way that I like it. Everything is running smooth and I was going to put the 1.2 ghz Chevy kernal that has always worked best on my phone, and for some reason it will not boot into recovery mode. I have to do a battery pull, and when I do the power - x it does not go into recovery, and it will not go into recovery through rom manager either. Am I missing something here. I am going to wipe data / cache, and reinstall the rom through rom manager again and see how that works out. Let me know if anybody has any other advice please.

Upvote 0
The thing that I did was install from ROM manager because I was out on the road and didnt want to wait. So I am trying that right now...and well nothing is happening...guess that I will have to flash the alternative image and restart from fresh...going to go through and do it the old school way this time. Going to give it another 5 mins at the M logo first...any thoughts on what is going on.

Upvote 0
yeah I think thats the route I am going to go. Just went to an older version of clockwork to see if that works the thing that i have liked about rom manager is that you dont have to deal with changing the names and so forth when going between kernals. I have flashed other roms through there and have not had any issues...I will keep messing with it until I go to sleep, then I will dig in deep when I go to work. On that machine I have all of the rsd files and everything needed if I need to go that route.

ON a side note I just say that Pandora got hung up in the market...any reason why that could be the cause.

Upvote 0
well i am nearly 24 hours into this rom now and i must say that it is everything i expected it to be. it runs very low temps,is completely stable, and runs very fast! i scored 1836 today on quadrant with the kernall maxed out and on performance!

as with prior bb there isn't a lot of customizations and that dissapointed some people. however customizations has never been petes intentions for bb anyway.

battery life is also top notch! i am using slayhers 1.25 kernal but only pushing it to 1gig most of the time. i put it through really heavy use today with close to six hours of pandora via wifi, about 20 text messages, and several quadrant tests. all this done in a building that has very little reception so my phone struggles to find a signal most of the time and i still have 50% battery life after 13 hours! i could not be happier with this rom!

Upvote 0

Thanks for the ideas GLD, but none of them worked, even uninstalled the desktop and phone ctp and installed them again and nothing. Weird thing is that when I restored to my SS 4.7 Rom to update it to 4.8 version, as soon as the phone rebooted the pages I sent to the phone when I was in BB loaded right up. So I'm thinking it's most likely a BB issue.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the ideas GLD, but none of them worked, even uninstalled the desktop and phone ctp and installed them again and nothing. Weird thing is that when I restored to my SS 4.7 Rom to update it to 4.8 version, as soon as the phone rebooted the pages I sent to the phone when I was in BB loaded right up. So I'm thinking it's most likely a BB issue.

Try uninistalling both from your phone and your PC, then reinstalling both. That worked or a guy on DF.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones