• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] The Casio C771 RedPill ROM

Willster419

The Casio Smartphone Guru
Feb 25, 2012
New Hampshire
relhaxmodpack.com
#These posts are currently revision 17 as of 10/17/14#
if you have this rom and want to update to m150, follow this guide by monkeytools
Hello Commando C771 users,

"What if I told you-
that there was a new (updated) ROM for your device?"

Well, if the above meme does not give it away already, then the following will. I have been working on a ROM for the Commando, and it is ready for release. This "RedPill ROM" is unlike any other. It is packed with features, including:
  • Pre-installed BusyBox and SuperUser.
  • de-bloated - no trace of Verizon or any other 'less than useful' apps
  • Pre-installed "Tools Update"
  • A new slightly larger red battery icon that shows battery capacity in increments of 1, unlike the stock ROM, which shows in increments of 5.
  • An awesome red theme to all functioning first-party system apps
  • A cool pre-installed matrix background
  • A boot animation with binaries to support the "bootanimation.zip" type file
  • A friendly install script with a system space checker to make sure that it installed properly.
  • A boot image that not only is "unlocked", but has adb enabled by default. From when you first start the phone to when or if you turn it off, adb will be there with you!*
  • (Updated) A more direct shutdown menu with options to go into either reboot, hot boot, bootloader(NEW), recovery, or shutdown.
  • Much faster due to the removal of system apps.
  • (NEW) COMPLETE GPS Support
  • (NEW) Removed the top "shutdown method" text
  • (Updated) The boot animation is now in sync more with the video and audio.

Instructions to install:
  1. Use TB to backup your user apps and data and system data
  2. Download the ROM and put it on your SD card
  3. Reboot into GNM recovery
  4. Make a Nandroid backup if you have not already
  5. Perform a data wipe (factory reset option). It is necessary now. Sorry ladies and Gents :(
  6. Go back to the main menu and then select flash zip menu->install from SD card
  7. Navigate to the zip file
  8. Install and make sure that it installed**
  9. Reboot and enjoy the ROM!

If your GPS does not work, a way to get it to work is to install a stock version of your ROM, and then install the RedPill ROM on top of the original ROM.

"Remember. I'm only offering you the [ROM], nothing more." I am not responsible for what may happen on your phone due to your actions. However, I can offer support and answer questions.

And press thanks/like/donate? if you like it! :)

Enjoy the ROM!

Thanks to:
-----
Monkeytools for letting me base this ROM off of his, allowing me to use his android policy file, allowing me to modify his boot.img file, allowing me to use parts of his updater-script file, and alpha/beta testing the ROM. THANK YOU GOOD SIR!
Link to his work: http://androidforums.com/commando-a...asio-blues-themed-rom-updated-5-5-2013-a.html
---
Also thank you to Ruyen for his/her feedback.
---
Whoever made that generic bootanimation binary
---
Whoever made GIMP/BIMP. Those programs are SO HELPFUL!
-----
*I can not guarantee that the adb service will be active if you are running a kernel below M130 and tried to boot with nothing in the system partition. Be very careful! You can turn it off in settings
**To make sure that it installed, just read the text that tells you how much space was used. If it is a small number (I.E. 4, 5, 1 MB) then it did NOT install and you should restore your Nandroid backup.

-------------------------------------------
DOWNLOAD: Click Here. Commando->Roms
-------------------------------------------

If you have any problems, please let me know by replying or sending me a pm or replying.

Please understand that although this is all free, some donation for my time would be greatly appreciated as I am going to Wentworth Institute of Technology and already know that I will be having a lot of student loans...

PayPal Donation to Willster419

Thanks and enjoy!!!1!

Last edited:
If you want just the theme, I have made that as well. It is still red, but does not have the tools update, boot animation, etc.
-----
Flash these at your own risk
-----
No need to do a factory reset with both of these files, so just flash and install!
The theme only is about 26 MB in space, but size difference may very depending on what is currently on your device. The ROM without the ROM can take up as little as the theme only, or as much as (about) 54 MB. It depends on how much space you have. It makes more since when you download and install it. If, and most likely when, you don't have the required space it will reboot before it can "false-install" and boot-loop your device.
-------------------
DOWNLOAD (OLD THEME): All files are here on my google drive.
-------------------
I am also including all the png files that I made red. If you want to make a custom rom, here are all the png files you need to change. See download link above

Reactions: deples
Upvote 0
The Shutdown menu options (V1)
2013_07_21_17.08.27.png

The browser has a red voice search box
2013_07_01_22.14.52.png

A red Power Control. YES that is fox news and NO I am not fox news reader. :)
2013_07_01_22.14.02.png

Red Dialer
2013_07_01_22.13.24.png

Some red home screen widgets
2013_07_01_22.08.43.png

The red XT9 keyboard
2013_07_01_22.10.28.png

A red notification bar
00054.JPG

Some custom system apps from the pre-installed tools update. also shows the red settings icon
00002.JPG

There be pictures

Upvote 0
Thank you so much good sir(s)! I have spent hours upon hours trying to root my Commando. Having finally achieved root access my WIFI did not work unless I manually ran the file that we all know of (init.qcom.sdio.sh). I had begun to despair of ever flashing a rom with my GNM recovery that I also installed (I did not have the gumption or time to make a custom rom on my own). Thank you very much it feels like Christmas!

Upvote 0
Great job, Thanks!

Just installed on a brand new m130 c771, no problem.
They are going cheap on ebay btw, picked up 2 for $120 ea. NIB; registered fine w. PagePlus

One request, I'm planning to flash my wife's c771 as well but both red would be a recipe for mix-up. Any chance of a bluepill rom? or a compatible theme in any other colour? The stock colour scheme repackaged as a theme would be fine.

Again great work

Upvote 0
I can't speak from experience but there is a stock 130 rom here http://androidforums.com/commando-all-things-root/677508-casio_c771_m130_stock_rom.html

Maybe you could upgrade with it? Don't know if it includes the base band though

Alternately unroot and do the OTA upgrade, gotta say tho rooting m130 is kind of a PITA.

THX!But how can I update the old build. I wana use M130 build rom. then flash this custom rom.
you can't update with my rom there is no baseband in my rom. You will need to make sure that you have all apps and apk on your phone unroot. Then update phone. Make sure you have stock recovery to.

Upvote 0
What method did you use to install recovery. I say this cause one of the ways will back up stock recovery for you. I have the stock recovery for the m130. I don't think it is the same as m50.
I use adb method, but it doesn't work. Then I use the GNM method, it back up one recovery. But I'm not sure it is the stock recovery. Pls give me the M130's, let me have a try. 3Q

Upvote 0
I use adb method, but it doesn't work. Then I use the GNM method, it back up one recovery. But I'm not sure it is the stock recovery. Pls give me the M130's, let me have a try. 3Q

I had reflash my stock recovery. and unroot. then I do a factory rest. but I can't activate my phone now. I'm a user on China Telecom. How can I skip the Activation? Thank u so much.

Upvote 0
I had reflash my stock recovery. and unroot. then I do a factory rest. but I can't activate my phone now. I'm a user on China Telecom. How can I skip the Activation? Thank u so much.
i have not ran into that before. you will need to call telecom and have them activate your phone. just tell them you had a problem and you did a factory reset. know phone will not activate.

Upvote 0
This has been a huge help for me. Got to say you are AWESOME Willis, Saved me from having to go get a different Phone. Only issues I have faced with the ROM is no GPS (not a big issue as I never turn it on) and when you turn off the 3g internet the battery drops like a rock.

With the Stock ROM you can turn off the 3g wireless internet and the battery would last for days and days. However with this ROM it drains the battery very quickly. This is not a major issue just something I had noticed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones