• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM's and Kernal's

DunKONGx8

Apr 1, 2011
Hey all,
Been playing with my android latley, and I am left pondering a question.
"Dose upgrading ROM's actually copy an updated Kernal?"
I have experience with PC's only, so I would say yes, of course. But after installing floyo I am not quite sure. I have all and only the same kernal errors, same firmware version, and a feeling the new ROM's are not the whole deal.
I understand the new Kernal would be close to the old one, no diffrent then Sony Ericsson re-hashing the old crap for a new product release. But can someone please conferm if it is new, or if the ROM's are only an operating system running on the original Kernal and BIOS?

Another question that just poped into my head, if i know exactly what hardware is in this dumb phone, can i just install Red Hatt (sorry lol) or any other UNIX shell on the phone, is it really a "mini computer"? I imagin no, but has me thinking haha,

Hope to hear your thoughts, sorry for mentioning that linux shell, I know it's cheap n crap lol

Kernel is not the same thing as Rom ;) And no upgrading ROM doesn't affect kernel version :p to change kernel you need to unlock bootloader and flash custom kernel ;) (Work in proggress)
any UNIX shell ? :D I cant imagine how you will be making calls via red hat :D It will also need a lot of development :p

Update : about that red hat ... sorry I have forgotten that it also has and GUI :D I am forced to use only the command interface at school :p But still it is usseles to try such a thing on this device :p

Reactions: DunKONGx8
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones