Root and 2.2

Last Updated:

1. DevilMaster7

DevilMaster7 Member This Topic's Starter

Ok I'm on 2.1 with Root and I just heard that 2.2 update might be tomorrow so I'm just wondering what will happen once I'm updated and can I just do the same root process and have root again or do I have to wait till somebody else roots it again.

Advertisement
  2. tcallahan

tcallahan Well-Known Member

I'm curious.. I no motorola was blocking the ota if you did certain things while rooted.... Anyone know what it would take for them to block your ota?

3. MrJohnnySpot

MrJohnnySpot Well-Known Member

You can always check to see if you'll be able to get the OTA by going to:

Settings
    > About Phone (at the bottom of the settings)
    > System Updates

It will then check for updates and see if you're up to date. For some people it will outright tell them that they're not eligible for an upgrade b/c of xyz (stuff they've done to their phone), so you'll easily be able to figure out if you can get the OTA that way.

And, I don't think anyone at this point knows what exactly/specifically will block the OTA other than putting on custom ROMs and/or leaked early versions of the OTA 2.2 update and other builds.

4. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

The D2 root method "should" work unless Motorola fixed up that exploit. if they do it won't be long until someone has freed it.

Roms will block it. Also certain apk's have to be there for it to pass the system check. You can see a list of those that are safe to remove in the forum

5. anaphora68

anaphora68 Well-Known Member

It is doubtful that if you are rooted, and have modified your system in any way, that you will be able to update. You might have to SBF back to stock...

Also, if you want to keep root, I would avoid the OTA. Why not just update to the leaked version, and wait for an AOSP ROM like Obsidian to come out?

6. DevilMaster7

DevilMaster7 Member This Topic's Starter

k I'm just wondering because I know that mos likely I'm going to lose root during the update to the OTA 2.2 and I'm just wondering can I use the exact same method again or do I have to wait till somebody here roots it and put a link up for me to use later.

7. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

If you rooted via Universal Androot or can confirm your "su" file is in the xbin folder, if the OTA update is like the leaded version, you should be able to keep root.

The rooted people that are most likely going to have trouble are the ones that uninstalled required applications or installed themes or other major modifications. If all you did was root, and maybe installed a couple of root only apps, I'd doubt you'd have problems.

LessFilling and SlvrScoobie like this.
  8. SlvrScoobie

SlvrScoobie Well-Known Member

Yay! I didnt mess around to much, removed kindle, Amazon and blockbuster apps, added barnacle. Heres to hoping I can update, keep root and all my apps! =D

9. VDubBugMan53

VDubBugMan53 Well-Known Member

to keep root you need to move your SU file in /system/bin to /system/xbin....that should keep root.

if you are only rooted you should have no issue getting the OTA but if you went to the leaked 2.2 then you will get the OTA

10. kentl901

kentl901 Well-Known Member

I rooted using the one click method. Other than that, I only have a few apps that require root.

Should I UNINSTALL those apps first before updating to 2.2? Or should I unroot before going to 2.2?

Btw, I'm rooted and apparently, I can download 2.2 (via system update).

11. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

[​IMG] _mrbirdman_
    If you guys hold off on the 2.2 OTA, ill have a pre-rooted .zip to install (will work no matter what version your on :) )

12. tannere

tannere Well-Known Member

What do you use to move the SU file? I tried OI File Manager but it doesn't let me

13. llamakc

llamakc Well-Known Member

Also curious. Is adb the only method available?

14. alexander323bc

alexander323bc Well-Known Member

I am currently on the linked the 2.2 but the 2.13 and 2.15 would never install for me. Think your file would work for me to get the full version and keep root? I am also deodexed (black status bar)

15. bsweetness

bsweetness Well-Known Member

This is what I'll be waiting for.

16. alexander323bc

agreed I dont want to sbf anymore!

17. alexander323bc

I am currently on the linked the 2.2 but the 2.13 and 2.15 would never install for me. Think your file would work for me to get the full version and keep root? I am also deodexed (black status bar)

18. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

I should rephrase that, if you rooted with the latest version of Androot, 1.6.2 beta 5, you should be good. Previous versions stored the su file in the bin folder, which won't work.

I was rooted via Androot and still am after the OTA update.

19. SlvrScoobie

SlvrScoobie Well-Known Member

Now you tell me, I did it all cmd line this am poop