• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root SD in unrooted phone?

HOTHEAD

Nov 6, 2009
Replacement ?'s and HELP
Just received my replacement D1, is there a way to have the market automatically reinstall all my old apps? I thought that I had read somewhere that they were all linked to my gmail so they would automatically update and restore.(paid & free)

Also, I was rooted before, when I returned the phone, I transfered everything on my SD card to a folder on my desktop, & unrooted. I am by no means "techy", what will happen if I just transfer everything that was on the card to this new card? I know I have to be careful of the update.zip file, but what about all the other folders and files? I don't even remember the root process, so back to the forums I go.

Thanks
Regards
HOTHEAD

If I were you, I would format the sdcard in the phone, then do a factory data reset. Once you have signed back into your google account, set the phone down for a long time and do not touch it until you see a "xxx applications restored" message in your notification bar.

Then there's a couple of things you should do to your phone, enable unknown sources and usb debugging. As far as what to put back onto your sdcard, your media and clockwork/nandroid folders, but any folders on your pc that have a '.' in front, I wouldn't restore.

Then to reroot your phone, there's a couple threads at this site and then there's this one also:

Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones