• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted - Acer Iconia Tab A500 HC v3.2.1

Added:
Adfree
Root Explorer
Exchange Active Sync

Added Functions:
Wifi Tether -> Xperia Arc
NTFS support

Backup:
boot.img
recovery.img

Uninstalled:
Docs To Go - bloatware (using Google Docs)
AUPEO! - bloatware (don't listen to radio)
LumiRead - bloatware (using Aldiko)
clear.fi - bloatware (rubbish app)

Freeze: (Resource/Batt hoggers)
AcerSync
Photo Browser 3D
Media Server
My Location
SocialJogger
TegraZone Games
Top HD Games

I have regained 25% battery life each charge cycle...

and... did a whole bunch of stuff that I cannot mention because it might incriminate me :)

Thank you very much for this list :) I am enacting similar schenanagans now!
I, however, used titanium backup...

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Ok, quick question (if this was answered in this thread, I missed it).....
If I root the A500 I'm buying in less than two weeks, prior to upgrading
to HC 3.2 (XDA), what will that (or the upgrade) do, if anything, to the
warranty?

Thanks,
--jim

--
THE SCORE: ME: 2 CANCER: 0
73 DE N5IAL (/4) MiSTie #49997 < Running FreeBSD 7.0 >
spooky130u@gmail.com ICBM/Hurricane: 30.44406N 86.59909W

Android Apps Listing at Jim's Android Apps (barcode links)

Upvote 0
Ok, quick question (if this was answered in this thread, I missed it).....
If I root the A500 I'm buying in less than two weeks, prior to upgrading
to HC 3.2 (XDA), what will that (or the upgrade) do, if anything, to the
warranty?

Thanks,
--jim

--
THE SCORE: ME: 2 CANCER: 0
73 DE N5IAL (/4) MiSTie #49997 < Running FreeBSD 7.0 >
spooky130u@gmail.com ICBM/Hurricane: 30.44406N 86.59909W

Android Apps Listing at Jim's Android Apps (barcode links)

Hi,

All things root voids your warranty

cheers :)
gabe

Reactions: GTbrewer
Upvote 0
Its amazing how much faster this thing runs once all the bloat crap is frozen...two questions though:

1 is it safe to freeze "Acer one time init" ?

2 is there a way to disable the software from asking if I want the system update to 3.2? Will just unchecking the box in system settings do it or will it still occasionally ask me?

Upvote 0
From what I've seen over on XDA it looks like the only way to get 'full' root from 3.2.1 is to downgrade back to an earlier version of tree OS, such as 3.0.x, and proceed from there. I'm still researching how I want to go about doing that. Based upon info just posted, it seems unlikely anyone will present a root for 3.2.x, as the devs have moved on to working on ICS. So until that is released, we have no option but to do the above. And it reads as a rather complex chore. So lots of reading before doing. :)

If one of the knowledgeable members could update this thread for pertinent info on rooting 3.2 it could help those of us with new 3.2 A500s in sorting this out. :)

As for now, I'm reading this thread in preparation:

http://www.chdcomputers.gr/en/mnu-k...en/mnu-kb-android-a500-en/254-art-kb000005-en

Edit - this is old information. Read on for how to easily root the A500 on 3.2

Upvote 0
Here's an easy way to root the A500 running 3.2. The instructions in version 3 aren't "complete", as they just point out changes since version 2. So downloading both version packages and melding the instructions gives a better overall picture of what to do. But he did streamline version 3, so there are less steps. Actually, it was so easy that at first I thought I had to be missing something. Everything you need is zipped into the download, and his main script handles the whole rooting process after you obtain the serial number with another script. You do these steps from your PC, but you don't have to manually do anything with ADB. That all happens transparently. Also, it seems to work best on a Windows 7 PC, from what I have read. That's how I did mine.

http://androidforums.com/iconia-tab-a500-all-things-root/424824-root-3-2-a.html

Upvote 0
Here's an easy way to root the A500 running 3.2. The instructions in version 3 aren't "complete", as they just point out changes since version 2. So downloading both version packages and melding the instructions gives a better overall picture of what to do. But he did streamline version 3, so there are less steps. Actually, it was so easy that at first I thought I had to be missing something. Everything you need is zipped into the download, and his main script handles the whole rooting process after you obtain the serial number with another script. You do these steps from your PC, but you don't have to manually do anything with ADB. That all happens transparently. Also, it seems to work best on a Windows 7 PC, from what I have read. That's how I did mine.

this is what I used and it worked great. :)

Upvote 0
Added:
Adfree
Root Explorer
Exchange Active Sync

Added Functions:
Wifi Tether -> Xperia Arc
NTFS support

Backup:
boot.img
recovery.img

Uninstalled:
Docs To Go - bloatware (using Google Docs)
AUPEO! - bloatware (don't listen to radio)
LumiRead - bloatware (using Aldiko)
clear.fi - bloatware (rubbish app)

Freeze: (Resource/Batt hoggers)
AcerSync
Photo Browser 3D
Media Server
My Location
SocialJogger
TegraZone Games
Top HD Games

I have regained 25% battery life each charge cycle...

and... did a whole bunch of stuff that I cannot mention because it might incriminate me :)

I can't believe how much more battery I am getting by freezing these apps!

So far, after 8h 40m on battery (admittedly a lot of it with the tablet just idle) I am only down to 85%.

Previously I would loose 15% per hour on average.

Upvote 0

Does this also work with A501? (A500 with 3G)

Upvote 0
Unless Timmydean over on XDA tells you it does, I would presume it does not. Rooting procedures are different for every device, and I don't know how much different the 3g version really is. I suggest you make sure before trying it. :) You may find some reference to the 3g version if you search the thread supoorting that rooting process over on XDA.

Upvote 0
Root gives you full access to the device. Right now there is not much you can do being Rooted but some things you can do are remove any pre installed app and you can install a new kernal that allows tethering to ad hoc phones like the D1.

Eventually you will be able to install custom versions of HC and overclock the device to make it run faster.

Rooting also allows you to do a FULL backup---apps, their data, and all settings, which you can't
do without root.

But be advised, with some methods for rooting, you have to do a full reset (thus wiping out all
of your apps/data/settings) before you root your device to back up all of your apps/data/settings.

Later,
--jim

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones