• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Rooted but safestrap will not install

ohDarr

Jun 13, 2013
I could not root using safe root because my kernel was updated but I used towelroot and it worked like a charm. Now I am trying to install safestrap, but it goes through the process of installing and it completes but the status does not say installed. I granted su permissions, updated the su binary and still nothing, I am on 4.4

Upvote 0
Yes, I have BusyBox v1.22.1-Stericson installed, also do you know where I could find a version of safestrap that does not require busybox?
Well, if you have busybox installed, then that wouldn't be the issue. Therefore looking for a version of SafeStrap that does not require busybox would be a nonissue.
I guess that I'm unclear why you would need a version that does not require BB? :thinking:
Besides, I don't know of any other version than the one listed on XDA. :)

Upvote 0
Well, if you have busybox installed, then that wouldn't be the issue. Therefore looking for a version of SafeStrap that does not require busybox would be a nonissue.
I guess that I'm unclear why you would need a version that does not require BB? :thinking:
Besides, I don't know of any other version than the one listed on XDA. :)
Well, I only wanted it to see if busybox was the problem but I found one without it and it still wont install.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Not so sure you can flash AOSP roms with Safestrap on the Verizon S3 :hmmmm:
I'd have to read thru that safestrap thread over at XDA but I read thru the Towelroot forum and safestrap forum there, and a couple folks mention that you cannot.
Towelroot - Post #31 - XDA
Towelroot - Post #46 - XDA
[RECOVERY LOCKED/NE1] Unofficial Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-27 KK B01] - Post #4 - XDA
[RECOVERY LOCKED/NE1] Unofficial Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-27 KK B01] - Post #13 - XDA
[RECOVERY LOCKED/NE1] Unofficial Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-27 KK B01] - Post #16 - XDA
I flashed CleanROM, but when I restart my phone it just black screens. If I change the rom slot back to stock it boots fine

Upvote 0
I believe CleanRom utilizes the Aroma installer doesn't it? Heh, it's been a while since I flashed it, I don't remember :eek:
Any way, just reading a little bit here, do I understand this correctly? (under "known issues")

If you try a .zip file with an Aroma installer, it will most likely just hang.

Perhaps that is why you get a black screen?

Upvote 0
I believe CleanRom utilizes the Aroma installer doesn't it? Heh, it's been a while since I flashed it, I don't remember :eek:
Any way, just reading a little bit here, do I understand this correctly? (under "known issues")

Perhaps that is why you get a black screen?
I am not sure if it uses it. I have just seen people around these forums flashing CleanROM and they say it works, in the safestrap forum people are saying there are no roms you can use is that true? Or can I flash one?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Not 100% sure my friend and I wish I knew. I only go by what you read also.
However, looking at this rom:
★☞ [Rom][4.3] AllianceRom - Build 23 THE Most Customisable TW ROM On ANY Device [04/11/14][Aroma][ML1] - xda-developers
scroll down to the "notes/disclaimers" :

there must be a way to do it:)
I tried installing that and it keeps sending me into a boot loop. Im assuming that is because I am on 4.4.2 and that is a 4.3 rom but im really just wanting to get a rom on this, it sucks that samsungs boot loader is locked down, I have a nexus 7 and I enjoy flashing a new rom from time to time. Same with a LG phone I have.

Upvote 0
Safestrap only supports TW roms, no AOSP. If you have a S3 with 4.4.2 you're done, bootloader is locked. No AOSP for you! I've been looking for Safestrap compatible roms for the new update, but I haven't seen any yet. I'm sure they'll be along eventually, but they will be Touchwiz based. I guess that's what we get for taking an OTA. (I had been drinking at the time).

Upvote 0
Safestrap only supports TW roms, no AOSP. If you have a S3 with 4.4.2 you're done, bootloader is locked. No AOSP for you! I've been looking for Safestrap compatible roms for the new update, but I haven't seen any yet. I'm sure they'll be along eventually, but they will be Touchwiz based. I guess that's what we get for taking an OTA. (I had been drinking at the time).
Well, for me the update was on the phone when I got it. And I was aware of the no AOSP thing, but why do people say that they get clean rom to install on safestrap? I tried and had no luck with it. I just hope they make a new rom pretty soon.

Upvote 0
Hi! I'm the noobiest noobie there is but I'm in the same boat:
gs3 with OTA update 4.4 / towelroot/ safestrap: would anyone have an update on this thread- I just installed safestrap and looking for a rom (anything)..help!

Welcome to AF!!
So you are rooted and have the Unofficial Safestrap installed?
Take a look at this thread to see if you see anything that looks interesting:
[INDEX] TW 4.4 Download List (7-10-14) | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III | XDA Forums

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones