Rooted my X. How do I remove bloatware?

Last Updated:

1. Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just got my new Droid X. It's freakin' sweet :) Already rooted it but I have a question. How do you install apps that require root? Also, I heard with root it's possible to delete the bloatware that comes with Droids? How can I do that?

Thanks a lot :)

Advertisement
  2. ghamden

ghamden Well-Known Member

Titanium Backup works well and fairly safe you can freeze programs from loading that way if needed for update they will be there.

Find it on Market be careful what you freeze or remove do not freeze or delete backup assistant it may brick your phone...

3. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I like "root explorer". Also, make sure you search this forum for what files are safe to remove. There are few threads (very recent) so you should be able to locate them. Like said above don't mess with the files for BackupAssistanceClient.

4. Gnomesarealive

Gnomesarealive Well-Known Member

Either use Titanium Backup or you can also use Root Explorer. If you don't know what you're doing, Titanium Backup is the way to go. It has a much nicer UI that shows you a list of your apps and you can pick which ones to uninstall.
    If you use Root Explorer, it's just like using a file manager app, except it lets you see inside the phone's memory, not just the SD card. Apps are located in /system/app if you use it.

I recommend checking out this thread so you don't brick your phone, some already have done so.
    http://androidforums.com/all-things...t-apps-apks-removable-non-removable-root.html

5. Helicrewchief

Helicrewchief Well-Known Member

Wow I wish I could figure out how to do the whole ADB deal so I can root. Stupid computer!

6. XtremeAaron

XtremeAaron Well-Known Member

7. Sheba611

Sheba611 Well-Known Member

I also had a problem using the ADB commands. Tried to use the ADB usb drivers from AllDroid.org and could not use them. Had to remove the existing Motorola ADB drivers and go to Motorola's website and download and install the 64 bit usb drivers (I am running Windows 7 64bit). After that I was able to see my device in the terminal window and root. The only advantage to using the PC is that you can copy and paste the commands to the terminal window (right click to paste). I made too many errors trying to to type them in and it took a while for me to root because I didn't know what I was doing wrong.

8. branflake2267

branflake2267 New Member