• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted phone but official ICS build

FreeRangers

Jun 25, 2012
My phone has ICS 4.0.4 (the official build obtained via kies). I rooted the phone and installed super user and a couple of rooted apps. I don't have any intention of installing new ROMS (like an unofficial Jelly Bean build). My question is when (if) Kies pushes out another official update will I be able to get it, or will it recognize that I "tampered" with the phone. I plugged the phone into Kies after I rooted it and Kies said that my firmware and the latest firmware match, so to me that means that it could still get updates via kies.
Assuming it can't get official updates anymore, I made a backup using clockwork mod before I installed superuser. If I restore that backup will my phone go back to being 100% official and untamered with?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones