• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted: Should I Install An Alternative ROM?

PeteCress

Android Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
Paoli PA, USA
Finally got my defective N7000 back from the vendor in Germany where a Samsung tech claimed water damage (NOT!) and wouldn't touch it. $90 shipping and three weeks without the phone.

Takeaways:
  • If you live in the USA, don't buy a Samsung product that is not made for the USA market. Samsung in Texas won't touch it and Samsung.UK won't touch it once they find out you're not physically in Europe. You have to throw yourself on the mercy of the retailer.

Can anybody at Samsung spell G-L-O-B-A-L--E-C-O-N-O-M-Y?
  • If you suspect a bad connection in the micro USB receptacle, do not try to remedy it yourself by squirting contact cleaner in there..... -)
All that being said, now that I know Samsung's warranty plus $2.00 will buy me a cup of coffee, I'm thinking about installing an alternative ROM like the one from ParanoidAndroid.

The Question:

Besides the entertainment value of doing this, what do I stand to gain and which ROM would you recommend?

Installing an alternative ROM is very entertaining, as you said. Besides that, alt ROMs are a way to upgrade from older versions of Android to the newest version that the ROM is made for...for instance: my phone came with Android 2.3 Gingerbread. By installing CyanogenMod 10.1, I was able to upgrade to ICS 4.2.2. Besides that, I gained the ability to theme, have cool looking settings, etc. I would definitely do it...but choosing one you will have to decide...good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones